Connect TV Via Wireless?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

saluki1net

Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
MO
I currently have Dish Network with two receivers. I have another tv that will be used initially in a room that does not have a cable. It may also be used in other rooms that do not have a cable. Is there a way to connect this TV wirelessly to one of the receivers that I currently have?

Yes. Search for "wireless HDMI" and you'll find things like this. You want ones that operate in the 5GHz band, for less interference.

Which receivers, and are they HDTVs?

I don't get home networking??? All I've ever used is my cable modem wired into my desktop. Now I just ordered a used 652160 w/Lifetime and it comes with a wireless G. I'm planning on doing Netflix and I'm wondering if G is fast enough. I'd rather run a wire to the TIVO than buy a wireless N if G isn't fast enough.
So, do I need a Switch or a Router? I see NewEgg has a [h=1]ASUS GX-D1051 Power-Saving Gigabit Switch 10/100/1000Mbps 5 x RJ45 1K MAC Address Table Packet Buffer Memory : 832K bits Buffer Memory[/h]for $10 after rebate, where Amazon wants $20. Is this what I need? I'd assume I'd go from the Modem to the Switch, then form the Switch to both the Desktop and TIVO. Or is there a better way?

My experience is that G is just fine with content today. How many TVs that could show Netflix content at the same time with a G router is unknown to me. From my own experience, I've had two streams at the same time with no problem.

It now occurs to me how off-topic this is.

Thanks for the quick response & information! I'll check it out. I have a VIP211K and a VIP722K receiver. The TV's are HD.

Then wireless HDMI is what you need. Performance won't be perfect, but I'll bet it will be more than good enough.

Important thing to remember. No router will speed up your signal than that which is supplied to you by your internet provider.

Is there a wireless HDMI device that allows external antenna's to be attached on each end to strengthen the signal between them both?

Another thing is that I read years ago that there was a device with antenna's that were used with a private wireless network with a pair of radios to transmit HD signals with Video LAN.

I see devices that share video from computers over a wired network. Is there no way to transmit the HD video from a satellite receiver in this way as well and put a radio on each end to make it wireless? You could connect the ethernet wire to the radio which makes it wireless to the radio on the other end which connects to the ethernet wire into the device on the other end. Kind of like having a router and a wireless card on the other end.

I just done some more research and found HDMI over IP. When reading this information am I correct in what I am reading when it says you can also share peripherals such as USB storage or keyboard/mouse input with the connected PC does it mean you can use a keyboard/mouse or any other usb device as well a distance away from a computer if someone used it for that purpose?

StarTech.com HDMI over IP Extender with Audio Video/audio extender - External

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)