connecticut OTA help

craig9747

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Hey guys, I running a 6000 and I trying to improve my OTA reception for HD. I live in Bristol, CT and according to antennaweb.org I live about 10-15 miles from the local stations antennas. I live up on mountain with a clear view to the NE sky. I have an 80" Boom Length, 32 Element Antenna (VU-90 XR) from radio shack in my attic pointed at 75 degrees. I get WFSB at around 80% (according to the 6000) and I get WTIC at around 65%. Sometimes WTIC drops below 50% and then I get breakup or nothing at all. I think I also get the PBS stations but nothing else. A buddy of mine that lives across town gets most of the CT stations with his $5 rabbit ears. I've tried the rabbit ears with almost the same results as my attic antenna. Someone at work told me parts of Bristol is in a valley and that could be my problem. Anyways...What antenna will work best in a valley? I'd really like to keep the antenna in my attic but would it make a bid difference if I mounted it outside? I just bought a 921 (from dishdepot), will getting that help for some reason? Thanks in advance.

Craig

The company I work for owns the WTIC antenna on Rattlesnake Mountain.

They are doing some equipment changes and will be switching to a new transmitter, because of this the Digital Signal will be weird for the next 2 weeks.

hmmm - you *might* be getting too strong a signal from your big antenna. Try an attenuator (Radio Shack has these).

Also - Value Electronics (one of the site's sponsors) sell the Silver Sensor. Great antenna. What does antennaweb.org rate you at? Yellow? Green?

He is under the antenna in Bristol so Hancox may be correct, unhook your current antenna from your receiver, then take a paper clip, unfold it and plus it into the antenna in jack on your receiver.

I would not be surprised if you can get it fine now. :)

madpoet said:
One thing to note, our ABC broadcasts VHF in CT so the Silver Sensor won't help you get it.

**Actually** the silver sensor is known to be pretty good at pulling in high VHF (in this case 10). You *might* be in the clear on this one...

It doesn't do it for me at all... I get much better VHF reception with a pair of rabbit ears than my SSS. *shrug*

I tried using a paper clip with almost no luck. I brought my rabbit ears outside and ran a cable line. I was able to intermittly get WVIT but I lost 61 all together and the signal strenght dropped down 5-10% on WFSB. I'm mostly in the yellow area. I'm going to try a silver sensor. Thanks for all the input!

I guess the problem is fixed. I just hooked up my new 921 and now I'm getting 3, 20, 30, 61 with no loss of signal at all. I don't get ABC (8) or WB (59) from New Haven at all. I guess because of how I pointed my antenna. The 921 blows away the 6000 in more ways than one. Thanks guys for info!!

yeah - doesn't shock me that 921 handles multipath better than the 6000 - OTA has come quite a ways, eh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts