connecting 2 TV's - is this the purpose of the IF out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mobz2005

Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
London
Hi All,

My name is MO - I am new here, a newbie though is an understatement I dont know heads or tails of FTA's or STB's.

Anyways, my question is though: I recently purchased an STB, got the connection done, dish up on my roof, receiver all connected and everything work fines... but now i want to add another TV to this same receiver to watch the same channel at the same time - thus I wanted to clarify is the purpose of IF out to add another TV - If this is not the case then can someone enlighten me of the use of ''IF out''. My current connection is via S-video connection (the yellow cable with the red and white audio cables)

Also somewhere on the internet I had read something about a low-loss splitter, would this do the job...?

I await for any replies and thank you all in advance - Have a good day/afternoon.

The purpose of the IF output is to connect another satellite receiver, you can not connect another TV directly to it.

Also S-Video is different than the RCA cables (Red, Yellow, White). S-Video is one cable and it only carries video signals, you might be using the Red and White cables for audio.

Most if not all FTA receiver have an analog channel 3 or 4 which can be connected directly to a TV.

What FTA receiver are you using?

The purpose of the IF output is to connect another satellite receiver, you can not connect another TV directly to it.

Also S-Video is different than the RCA cables (Red, Yellow, White). S-Video is one cable and it only carries video signals, you might be using the Red and White cables for audio.

Most if not all FTA receiver have an analog channel 3 or 4 which can be connected directly to a TV.

What FTA receiver are you using?

thank you for your reply - its a DishTv brand, the company called ARION, it has only IF in, IF out and the yellow, red and white connection ports. I read some where about adding a splitter at the 'IF in' port, such that the end of the dish cable goes into a splitter, from which one of the 2 cable from the splitter goes into the receiver and the other into the 2nd TV......

any ideas....

hi, i just rechecked there are only IF in, IF out and the rca coloured ports at the back of the receiver!!! Is there anything i can do, can i take any type connection from TV one, or add a splitter to rca or add a splitter to where the cable from the dish comes in.....
Please i really need some help....

You can split the RCA cable and connect them to a second TV.
I can't find the exact device but it is very similar to: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/RGB-Component-Video-Splitter/dp/B000RJJ0XW"]Amazon.com: 3 x RGB Component Video Splitter: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Kf96he4OL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Kf96he4OL[/ame]

You are thinking of what can be done with cable TV. The coax line between the STB and the LNB operates at a much higher frequency than cable TV does and the TV's tuner can not pick up those frequencies.
Also the line between the STB and the LNB carries power to the LNB which you would not want to split unless you use a special splitter. (One that passes power on one leg and blocks power on the other leg)

I think the maximum distance for RCA cables is around 10 Meters (33 feet).
If you want to go further than that then you should use a RCA RF Modulator (Converts RCA to Coax (Channel 3 or 4)) here is an example of this device: RCA CRF907 Compact RF Modulator

I noticed that you have set your location to London, if that is London in England you might need PAL equipment, but If you are in England I am not sure you would be using RCA cables to begin with. :confused:

im in aisa now, but reside in uk.

Would it possible to connect the rca cable to this modulator ( the rf one you mentioned last) and then connect a coxial cable to the modulator and THEN make a split in the coaxial cablw using a splitter and take each split to the 2 tv's

You can do that, the video quality might be slightly worse to the main TV compared to using RCA cables.

Since your in the UK / Asia you will need to find a RCA RF Modulator that supports PAL or the format that Analog TVs use at your location (Unless you have a NTSC capable TV) and one that operates on the correct voltage (220/240).

im in aisa now, but reside in uk.

Would it possible to connect the rca cable to this modulator ( the rf one you mentioned last) and then connect a coxial cable to the modulator and THEN make a split in the coaxial cablw using a splitter and take each split to the 2 tv's
If your receiver has the TV out port beside the RCA cable, you can use the TV out port for the second tv and main tv use the rca cable. Or a splitter after the tv out port to two tvs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Coolsat 8000 thoughts??

Time travelling receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)