Connecting a 625 to a new TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

btharner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
I just bought a new HD Set and I will be connecting my 625 to it as I plan to wait until spring to upgrade to HD service. My current setup has the receiver connected to my old TV via a coaxial cable (my old Sanyo doesn't have any other inputs). Can I just attach the coaxial cable to the antenna port on the new TV, or do I have to use the RCA type cables? I am a real neophyte when it comes to this stuff and any help is appreciated.

I just bought a new HD Set and I will be connecting my 625 to it as I plan to wait until spring to upgrade to HD service. My current setup has the receiver connected to my old TV via a coaxial cable (my old Sanyo doesn't have any other inputs). Can I just attach the coaxial cable to the antenna port on the new TV, or do I have to use the RCA type cables? I am a real neophyte when it comes to this stuff and any help is appreciated.
Yes, you can hook it up via the coax cable but the picture quality and sound quality will be reduced. It would make for a better experience to use RCA or S-video in my opinion to get better overall picture and sound. I have my 625 hooked up to my 40" LCD TV with S-video and the program guide, menus and overall picture is much clearer and more detailed.

Speaking from an identical experience (1997 vintage Sanyo CRT to an '06 vintage Viewsonic LCD), coax will work, but S-Video is marginally better. You're not going to get the most out of either of them, as Western Arc SD video from Dish kinda' sucks. It's going to look like a YouTube video with either connection.

Start planning now for a 722k or 621 HD DVR and the extra $10 per month to feed it a signal that doesn't make your eyes water in pain.

Speaking from an identical experience (1997 vintage Sanyo CRT to an '06 vintage Viewsonic LCD), coax will work, but S-Video is marginally better. You're not going to get the most out of either of them, as Western Arc SD video from Dish kinda' sucks. It's going to look like a YouTube video with either connection.
True, but the RCA/S-video do make the program info and program guide text easier and clearer to read though on my TV anyway.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Sometimes I can barely read the program guide on my current set so that wouldn't be anything new. I've lived with SD this long, I'll survive another couple of months.

S-Video or composite out from an HD receiver is the clearest SD TV you 'll ever see, certainly an order of magnatude below HD, but noticable better than RF especially the longer the cable to TV is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)