Connecting a DVD Recorder to VIP722 and HDTV

jetsetter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
I am interested in connecting a DVD burner to my VIP722 and see some advice on best options. Here's my current setup. My 722 is setup in Single Mode and outputs to my HDTV via HDMI. I have a my second TV (SD) hooked up in another room via the In Home Distribution output jack....I also have an OTA antenna connected to my 722 for my locals.

The DVD Burner (Emerson EWR10D4) which has component output (one only), which I think I should use to output it back to my TV. It also has a S-Video (out), but component should be better so I would rather use that. I have component inputs as well as s-video inputs available on my HDTV.

So, my questions are:

1. What's the best way to connect this DVD recorder to my 722 and my HDTV so I can record stuff off of my DVR to the DVD? I typically would only want to record stuff to my DVD from DVR only.
  2. Can I use component to connect 722 to DVD and S-Video to TV (from DVD) or vice versa - or would that even work?

Thanks for your help.

you need to use the S-video and audio outputs on the 722 and connect them to the DVD Recorder.

then you use what ever cable from the dvd recorder back to the tv.

Someone wanted to know what inputs the DVD recorder had - Here's my response:

S-Video, Component and RCA... Link to manual (Pg 13-14)

Thanks

Last edited:
It would appear from the manual you linked to that there is actually no component input, only a component output (see page 7). If that is indeed the case, as suggested above, use HDMI from 722 to TV, S-video+L/R Audio from 722 to DVD-R, Component+L/R Audio from DVD-R to TV. If you would like to record things from the 722 to the DVD-R while watching something else at the main TV, let us know and that setup will be different.

It would appear from the manual you linked to that there is actually no component input, only a component output (see page 7). If that is indeed the case, as suggested above, use HDMI from 722 to TV, S-video+L/R Audio from 722 to DVD-R, Component+L/R Audio from DVD-R to TV. If you would like to record things from the 722 to the DVD-R while watching something else at the main TV, let us know and that setup will be different.

Thanks for pointing out the component issue - hadn't realized that... Will give this setup a try. Short of one set of RCA audio cable - need to get one tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the setup, if I wanted to record TV2 while watching TV1 or DVR?

Thanks for your help - appreciate it.

First, you would have to take the receiver out of Single mode. Then instead of the s-video cable from the TV-1 output of the 722, connect the composite (yellow, not to be confused with component) video and L/R audio marked as TV2 on the back of the 722 to the input of the DVD-R. Then you would just view the DVD-R output on the TV while using the TV2 remote to get everything setup and recording. Once it's set up, you switch your TV back to the 722, and enjoy Television, while the DVD-R records your favorite episodes of MASH :) (and make sure no one plays with the TV2 remote while it's recording)

First, you would have to take the receiver out of Single mode. Then instead of the s-video cable from the TV-1 output of the 722, connect the composite (yellow, not to be confused with component) video and L/R audio marked as TV2 on the back of the 722 to the input of the DVD-R. Then you would just view the DVD-R output on the TV while using the TV2 remote to get everything setup and recording. Once it's set up, you switch your TV back to the 722, and enjoy Television, while the DVD-R records your favorite episodes of MASH :) (and make sure no one plays with the TV2 remote while it's recording)

Thanks - Got it all setup and everything works as expected. Appreciate your help on this.