Connecting Alpine Car Tuner & TimeTrax Connect???

robroy9701

Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Could someone please explain to me what it is I am missing on how to connect my newly purchased TimeTrax Connect hardware kit to my existing Alpine SIR-ALP1 Sirius tuner?

The SIR-ALP1 only has AI-NET IN and OUT, a 4-pin power connector, and the antenna connector.

It does not have anything I can see as remotely compatible with the TimeTrax connect module. The TimeTrax module has two rows of pins not physically compatible with anything on the SIR-ALP1.

So, unless I am missing something, I fail to see how I can connect these two devices. TimeTrax support request site keeps crashing when I fill out a support request, so I thought I would start here.

If anyone could let me know what I need to get these two devices connected, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rob

robroy9701 said:
Could someone please explain to me what it is I am missing on how to connect my newly purchased TimeTrax Connect hardware kit to my existing Alpine SIR-ALP1 Sirius tuner?
The SIR-ALP1 only has AI-NET IN and OUT, a 4-pin power connector, and the antenna connector.
It does not have anything I can see as remotely compatible with the TimeTrax connect module. The TimeTrax module has two rows of pins not physically compatible with anything on the SIR-ALP1.
So, unless I am missing something, I fail to see how I can connect these two devices. TimeTrax support request site keeps crashing when I fill out a support request, so I thought I would start here.
If anyone could let me know what I need to get these two devices connected, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Rob

There was a list somewhere that someone had suggested was compatible units with the Time Trax connector. I cannot remember if yours IS or IS NOT compatible but I think thats where I think we need to start.

I thought the connectors and cables came with the Time Trax Kit. Do you not have ANY connectors or cables, or just cables and connectors that DO not MATCH the Alpine unit?

No cables at all

Thanks for the reply, but no cables were supplied at all for the connection between the Timetrax and the Alpine Tuner. Just the power adapter, the line cable, and the USB cable.

All I can think of is that there is something missing here... what it is I would love to know...

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

You need to take the Alpine radio apart.

There are three screws that connect the silver piece to the grey piece.

This is covered in the Documentation.

Derek

dserianni said:
Hi Rob,
You need to take the Alpine radio apart.
There are three screws that connect the silver piece to the grey piece.
This is covered in the Documentation.
Derek

Holy Crap Derek, I am assuming this is specific to the Alpine unit he is trying to use?

Are there other models that this modification is required?

This goes for all Sirius Connect radios.

It sounds a lot more involved than it is.

If you were to see the radio in person you will see three tiny screws that hold the radio together.

The tuner separates from the interface.

It is kind of hard to describe, but in fact the radio is a universal radio that has an interface added to it depending on what car radio it is being connected to, all you are doing is separating these two units.

They fit together with the same interface plug that the TimeTrax unit uses.

Before you jump to conclusions and think this is something "radical" ask any one of our customers that had to do it and you will find out that it is not a big deal.

It is in our documentation.... step by step.

Derek

PhuckNut said:
Holy Crap Derek, I am assuming this is specific to the Alpine unit he is trying to use?
Are there other models that this modification is required?

If you purchase the TimeTrax Complete Sirius, the Sirius tuner comes disconnected from its adapter and the USb adapter is plugged into the connector.

The Sirius tuners are similar in concept to the XM tuners. There is a universal tuner that then connects to an adapter based on the head-unit brand. XM sells the universal tuner (XM Direct) seperately from the adapters - while Sirius packages them together and requires that you buy it pre-connected.

In both cases, the TimeTrax USB adapter replaces the head-unit adapter and must be connected to the unit in place of that adapter. Because Sirius makes you purchase them together, there is more cost and a little more work involved.

If there are any questions about the issue maybe someone can post some pictures. There are detailed instructions in our documentation.

David k.

Right, I did not know that ALL units required this - it sounds simple enough-

Are there any pictures out there - I'd like to check them out regardless :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)