Connecting my own equipment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

srsu1

Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
texas
We recently moved to a new home. Directtv said since it had only been 10 months since we signed up, it would cost $110 to reconnect at our new home. The new home already had a directTV dish on the roof so I just brought our dish and replaced it (since ours had less splitters I wasn't sure if the card in our receiver was set up for that dish configuration.) The previous owner must have also been using local cable because none of the cables (four) from the house were connected to the Directtv splitter. I have reconnected the receiver and SWM to the tv and cables inside. The problem is that I've tried all four cables on the two way spliiter and the system keeps giving me a 771a error message. Could I have the two way split(ter connected in reverse or do both tv's have to be connected properly to the splitter just to set up the main receiver. It given me an error code 51-477 saying the SWM is not detected.

Can I resolve these issues on my own and proceed to satellite alignment?

Thanks,
srsu1 Goldthwaite, TX

swm is not truly a splitter. do you have an 8? or 16?
is the power inverter hooked up correctly?

The splitter outside has one pole with red that says DC power pass in which I currently have hooked up to the cable coming from the dish. It has two outports- one red and one yellow- the red I have connected to the cable going to the receiver. (I think it's the right cable- I'm waiting on a tone tracer too verify it is. Should I replace the fitting with new compression fittings also?

The SWM is connected from the wall to the red "Power to SWM" port and form the blue IRD port to the receiver unit.

Success!

We recently moved to a new home. Directtv said since it had only been 10 months since we signed up, it would cost $110 to reconnect at our new home. The new home already had a directTV dish on the roof so I just brought our dish and replaced it (since ours had less splitters I wasn't sure if the card in our receiver was set up for that dish configuration.) The previous owner must have also been using local cable because none of the cables (four) from the house were connected to the Directtv splitter. I have reconnected the receiver and SWM to the tv and cables inside. The problem is that I've tried all four cables on the two way spliiter and the system keeps giving me a 771a error message. Could I have the two way split(ter connected in reverse or do both tv's have to be connected properly to the splitter just to set up the main receiver. It given me an error code 51-477 saying the SWM is not detected.

Can I resolve these issues on my own and proceed to satellite alignment?

Thanks,
srsu1 Goldthwaite, TX

I was able to connect the Swm correctly and verify through the focre diagnostic code 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 (select), then verified the SWM connection on test screen 3480(?).
After I verified that, I used the steps f.or setting up a mobile dish on www.ehow.com/how_2000908_setup-satellite-tv-system-anywhere.html. In setup mode I tested setellite signal strength over and over while tweaking the direction of the dish while the bolts were loose until I got the most signals even though weak. Then. I tightened the bolts and had someone tell me the signal strength while I ajustrf the elevation screw until it was at 98%, Then went inside and finished setup procedures

Sounds like you're good, just that the dish was out of alignment. How many receivers do you have, DVR and non-DVR?

Most SWM setups can handle up to 8 tuners, want to make sure you're not going over that.

I was able to connect the Swm correctly and verify through the focre diagnostic code 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 (select), then verified the SWM connection on test screen 3480(?).
After I verified that, I used the steps f.or setting up a mobile dish on www.ehow.com/how_2000908_setup-satellite-tv-system-anywhere.html. In setup mode I tested setellite signal strength over and over while tweaking the direction of the dish while the bolts were loose until I got the most signals even though weak. Then. I tightened the bolts and had someone tell me the signal strength while I ajustrf the elevation screw until it was at 98%, Then went inside and finished setup procedures
Welcome to the Site !
Very good, you've done well !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)