Connecting RF out from receivers to rest of house

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I'm trying to connect/share a ViP211 and Vip622 to rooms in my house (5 total locations). The 211 is fixed, and 622 is moved between two rooms. The house CATV wiring is marginal, RG-59, and I'm not enthused about rewiring at this time. Sometimes a TV in a room is receiving VHF/UHF from the remote ViPs, sometimes a ViP is in that room sending it out to the others. I am looking for a "hub", that is, rather than one in and 4 or 5 out, I just want 5 hubbed equal dB loss bi-directional connections. The only splitters I can find all assume one input is being split out in multiple directions, and depending on whether that room is on the "input" or "out" port, it has a good or dismal picture. Amplifiers help, but only work one-way, of course, so that is not a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help!

********* I meant to post this in Technical Discussions, please delete or move if necessary. Sorry! *******************

Hi Claude,

Thanks for the reply, I actually checked DishStore before posting. Let me be more specific. I leave a ViP211 at my cabin in the living room, its TV Ch.3 out goes to a central TV distribution area/box. In my bedroom I have a DPP44 switch feed and have a 75 ohm cable from the central TV distribution area. If I bring up my 622 I use the DPP44 feed for it, and use the 75 ohm cable to send TV1 and TV2 out to the central distribution area. If I don't bring the 622, in my bedroom I connect the 75 ohm cable to my TV's antenna in and watch ch. 3 from the ViP211 in the living room. What further complicates my options is I often hook up the 622 in a small room downstairs.

In my bedroom or other room I connect the 75 ohm cable to the TV antenna in, or to the 622 TV out.

Any solution with an amp will by definition make the cable in the bedroom either only an input or output, which is not what I want.

Most splitters are designed for maximum isolation between each output, so trying to get a signal through a splitter from one output port to another output port has a very high loss. If there were such an device as a CATV hub, I should be able to transmit or receive on a cable to with all other devices with equal efficiency throughout the house.

It will be almost impossible now to run new lines to the central distribution area/box. The only options I have come up with so far requires running a new line to the bedroom plus two amplifiers and a patch panel that looks like the telephone switchboard Lily Tomlin used on vintage Saturday Night Live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)