Connection Issues (continued)

jarrodk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Well, the good news is that the tech came out and determined the problem pretty quickly. The central connection location had issues with the wire running directly from the dish. The metal wire in the middle of the coax cable was burned, completely melted! The tech replaced the end connector, and everything started working fine again.

The BAD news is that my signal started dropping this morning and only gave me sporadic access. I checked the same cable connector, and couldn't see burning, but I could see a black liquid in the cable, almost as if the metal wire is going into a slow burn. I'm expecting that this problem will recur going forward. Safety/fire issues aside, I'm concerned about the issue. I do see a grounding cable running from the central location of the connectors to the electric panel, but didn't try to verify (yet) that it actually terminates and does a good ground.

Anyone else run into this before? This explains why it was only with one receiver. Any help is greatly appreciated.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Before making any suggestions, what do you mean black liquid inside the cable? If thats true, thats a very bad thing to have happening.

Not having seen the "burned end" but with your description of a black liquid in the cable makes me think you somehow have water in the cable. The cable carries "18"volts of DC power so like a car battery it can corrode, the center conducter of the cable usually turns black or grey and in some cases disappears completely. If the liquid inside is black you probably have corrosion over the entire length of that cable. Just replacing the end dosen't cure the problem, the entire cable needs to be replaced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts