Connection question on 522

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

riski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2004
In my setup, the receiver is located where my main TV is located. I have a home theater there. I have a digital audio hook up and an Svid cable running from the back of the receiver directly into the TV for an awesome signal. My question is that since TV2 is located in my bedroom, it only has the coax cable connected. Is there anyway to have TV2 take advantage of the Svid? I know the cables are expensive but is there anyway to split the Svid coming out of the receiver and run one to TV1 and TV2?? Thanks in advance...

Ok...i understand...so in essence, you are really only going to get vid and aud thru the coax and thats it. There is no other confuguration options at all?

riski said:
Ok...i understand...so in essence, you are really only going to get vid and aud thru the coax and thats it. There is no other confuguration options at all?
The TV2 output of a 522 does have RCA composite video and standard Left/Right audio, but no S-video. I am not sure just how far you can run those RCA type connections vs. a modulated signal over coax. I doubt very far. There is probably some type of S-video "splitter" component, but again, I don't know how far you can run a S-video cable. You would also have to run you audio cables in addition to the S-video.

For options, there MAY be some type of device that will take S-video input and audio input (maybe even digital audio) and transmit it to a remote place via radio frequency. You'd have to look around.

Or you could add a second receiver to your account and locate that right next to your second TV. I don't know what Dish Network receivers have S-video output capability, but I know my 322 does. It does NOT have digital audio output however. You're looking at additional cost for the second box though. I think it's $5 per month. I don't know if there's an additional one time charge to lease a second box and add it to your account. You could purchase one however.

thanks haertig...the 522 which i have does have digital audio out which make the Sirius channels sound spectacular! I believe the coax connection is it. Thats ok...i have a 24 inch toshiba as my TV2 and it has a comb filter. so i guess the svid would not be much of an improvement.

riski said:
Thats ok...i have a 24 inch toshiba as my TV2 and it has a comb filter. so i guess the svid would not be much of an improvement.
I think every TV has a comb filter. Maybe I'm confused. What I *think* I know is that the quality of your comb filter will be the determining factor on how much difference you see between a composite video signal and an S-video one. On my Mitsubishi, there is really no discernable difference between composite and S-video, but RF-modulated falls far short of the mark set by the other two. I do not have component video inputs so I can't judge on that one.

Fishpig said:
how does the tv2 coax-out work on the 522?
Unh. It's RF output on a UHF channel. The installer picked it and should've told you what it was, but you can use the "Modulator" menu to check/change it.

Hope that's what you were asking - my crystal ball is a little cloudy. :p

yea, i've look at that thing a bunch. its clear as mud. is the coax output the same on TV2 as it is on TV1? i notice some type of channel range on the label.. what does it mean? thx for the help.

Fishpig said:
is the coax output the same on TV2 as it is on TV1?

No.

TV1 is for your main tv, and you will likely not use that coax connection. You will likely use svideo and the left,right rca audio connections. But if you were to use coax for TV1, it uses channel 3 or 4 and it is not stereo.

TV2's coax is for the remote tv and uses channels 21-69 or 73-125. You choose which channel on the 522's setup menu. It is also stereo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)