Connectivity Issue with cust, looking for ideas

jawxx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
United States
I have a customer with a connectivity issue I cannot solve. The issue is that I can go through wireless setup and get all OK for Server, Internet, etc. I can use On Demand. I can load apps. I cannot order a Pay Per View which is the customer's main complaint. This will not work whether going through 'Dish' button to find the movie or the guide via channel 5xx. I also cannot send a status, which is something as technicians we are required to do on every job. Step one says there's a broadband connection, I can check signals, but cannot send status and receive a red confirmation code.

Here's what we know.

1 Hopper, 1 Hopper with Sling, 3 Joeys

Everything in the system functions as it should with TV viewing, DVR, etc. and broadband-requiring feature other than PPV.

The cust has 2 WiFi networks in their home. Either Hopper can connect to the 5G netowrk but the 2.5 will fail even with correct password. Verified password with other devices. Connectivity has only been attempted via WiFi.

This problem only materialized after a power outage in the home a few months ago. The customer's internet runs through a file server. The Hopper with Sling was replaced after said power outage. I've tried a different router. I've bypassed the server. Same issue. Modem has not been replaced.

Broadband support at Dish, who handles Hopper issues, had no suggestions other than replacing the Hopper with Sling which has already been done.

When attempting to order a PPV; Select Movie, verify cost, begin download, click watch now, this is where we get error 006 "Unable to complete purchase (or similar), please call Dish 1 800 xxxx."

Free movies will load and are able to be viewed without issue.

Only one hopper is connected at a time to be the master of the system and I've tried both the Hopper and the Hopper with sling and then bridged the system from either Hopper. Same issue regardless of which hopper connects to the router.

Rather than rolling on repeat T.C.s the customer was nice enough to let me post and see if we can get some suggestions. I look forward to seeing what you have to offer!

Thanks

Have you tried running a temporary Ethernet cable to the HWS as a test. That would be my first suggestion, if that works consider fishing the wire to the HWS.

Do you only have the WiFi set up on 1 oh the Hoppers with it bridged to the second Hopper? If you have a connection at each Hopper it can cause a conflict in the internet for the system.

I thought about ethernet but didn't have a cable long enough to test the theory. Something I didn't try was HIC. I just can't imagine its an issue with the WiFi connection since everything else works.

Jason, Yes. I connected one then bridged. Then disconnected that one, connected the other and bridged that one. No go both ways

Make sure the PPV credit limit on the account is sufficient as well, and let a dirt member send a hit, but the hic would be my suggestion. I am biased towards it for most anything though. Lol

It's an issue with your file server or fire wall. For whatever reason, the connection to the dish server is failing, hence the failed status and the inability to hit the server to order the ppv.

Has the router and modem been reset? Reset the server? Make sure the router or server didn't default back to out of the box settings, which now prevents the Hopper from reaching Dish and the servers needed.

That's my guess.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Make sure the PPV credit limit on the account is sufficient as well, and let a dirt member send a hit, but the hic would be my suggestion. I am biased towards it for most anything though. Lol
That's my guess.![/QUOTE]

I think it's safe to assume there's no credit issues on this account. We'll leave that at that. I had hits sent during advanced support. A HIC is still an option to try.

It's an issue with your file server or fire wall. For whatever reason, the connection to the dish server is failing, hence the failed status and the inability to hit the server to order the ppv.

Has the router and modem been reset? Reset the server? Make sure the router or server didn't default back to out of the box settings, which now prevents the Hopper from reaching Dish and the servers needed.

I tried bypassing the server. I also tried a different router. Could the modem possibly have some sort of firewall like that? I've not done any configuration with a modem.

I'm sure it could. Get the Hopper IP address from the broadband screen and enter it into the dmz list.
!

lucky, can you shed a little more light on that? I'm sure there's an IP to type into a browser to get into the modem but I haven't dealt with modems before (aside from setting up Dishnet and Hughes modems). How many IPs can the dmz support typically? Would you type in the IP for just the hopper that's actually connected to the wifi or the IPs for all 5 receivers?

Thanks!

Forwarded some of this info to my customer. He uses a local company for all his HT and IT stuff, and he's got a modem that was not supplied by the telco but looks like a netgear you'd pick up at best buy. Hopefully his IT guys know more about this DMZ list because I all I could find online was setting up a DMZ server with a single IP address. We shall see. I'll post an update if and when I get one. Thanks again

Connectivity is tricky... wifi shouldn't be difficult at all in fact you connect it and run the test get green all the way and that is that. The code proves you connected it and it worked so beyond that a TC shouldn't be put on you at all if any CSR has half a brain. Now I'd look at other things causing it to go in and out such as electrical issues to the hopper or something in between.

The code proves you connected it and it worked so beyond that a TC shouldn't be put on you at all if any CSR has half a brain.

My codes came back red, multiple times, indicative that it did not ping with Dish's server. Thus lowering my connectivity percentage and my company's. As for the CSRs... well as any tech knows, you can get a TC on ANYTHING. And you've just got to swallow it. If you do your job well enough you can afford those few ridiculous TCs each quarter.

My codes came back red, multiple times, indicative that it did not ping with Dish's server. Thus lowering my connectivity percentage and my company's. As for the CSRs... well as any tech knows, you can get a TC on ANYTHING. And you've just got to swallow it. If you do your job well enough you can afford those few ridiculous TCs each quarter.

Remember, though, it's the same thing for agents. When you put down that you just changed the receiver, but you actually repealed the dish and changed the node or cables, it greatly affects the agents numbers as well. I have seen multiple people not get promoted, and even counseled for having a bad percentage, even when they only rolled 2 trucks in a month(fixed every other issue) and one got marked NPF-TC, with a tech repealing a dish and changing cables. He just marked it otherwise. That sucks for the broadband department, especially.

Remember, though, it's the same thing for agents. When you put down that you just changed the receiver, but you actually repealed the dish and changed the node or cables, it greatly affects the agents numbers as well. I have seen multiple people not get promoted, and even counseled for having a bad percentage, even when they only rolled 2 trucks in a month(fixed every other issue) and one got marked NPF-TC, with a tech repealing a dish and changing cables. He just marked it otherwise. That sucks for the broadband department, especially.

I'm sorry but the TC's or RC12's as they are now towards how a Dish Tech gets from ignorant crap is far worse than anything a CSR gets. I don't know of a CSR that sits in a cubical in the pouring down rain,snow, extreme cold or heat while dodging stupid customers, dogs, mosquitoes, spiders, snakes, nosey neighbors that have Dish to ask a question to save money to not call in themselves etc etc..I could go on and on - to do a 2+ hour job to only have something as stupid as the customer can't put the damn thing on channel 73 or input1 themselves and the CSR puts out a TC rather than charge them for the visit of custom work. When a CSR does their job in those types of conditions then I will maybe shed a tear for them.

There is only so much one can do over the phone though. Most the time(especially for the elder and entitled) they will demand a technician. It's not just once that they demand it either. A lot of times they will threaten to cancel. A lot of people feel they pay money so they don't shouldn't have to do any of that. There are a lot of times, when the agent can fix it over the phone, but the customer refuses

There is only so much one can do over the phone though. Most the time(especially for the elder and entitled) they will demand a technician. It's not just once that they demand it either. A lot of times they will threaten to cancel. A lot of people feel they pay money so they don't shouldn't have to do any of that. There are a lot of times, when the agent can fix it over the phone, but the customer refuses

That is when Dish as a company stands up and has them pay for custom service or lets them cancel cause you don't need people playing that system as it hurts everyone else and the bottom line at some point. But they won't cause Dish knows they can just charge back the tech and screw them over time and time again. I'm glad I got out of it cause I just couldn't take that nonsense anymore...I feel sorry for their techs now and wish they would just go union and put a stop to it.

That is when Dish as a company stands up and has them pay for custom service or lets them cancel cause you don't need people playing that system as it hurts everyone else and the bottom line at some point. But they won't cause Dish knows they can just charge back the tech and screw them over time and time again. I'm glad I got out of it cause I just couldn't take that nonsense anymore...I feel sorry for their techs now and wish they would just go union and put a stop to it.

Believe me, many us of are glad too....

I would love to see a csr and technician Union, that would be pretty awesome. But it wouldn't make sense without having pretty much everyone onboard right off the the bat, and had more than just dish included.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)