Consequences/How to of "Moving"?

JMTullDawg

Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
Southeast Georgia
I am a brand new DISH network customer residing in the Savannah, GA DMA. Due to line of sight issues with the western arc at my home, my technician had to do an eastern arc installation. Unfortunately, the Savannah, GA local channels are only transmitted on the western arc (119 and 129).

I have attempted to receive locals over the air by checking tvfool.com and trying several antennas, but I live in the middle of nowhere and can't receive OTA without a massive antenna at least 50 feet in the air. All American Direct only does Distant Networks on the 119 satellite, so that's also a dead end for me.

It seems my only options for receiving local programming is to wait until DISH decides they want to mirror the locals over to the eastern arc (who knows when, if ever, that will happen) or "move" to a nearby location and receive those locals.

What are the consequences/ramifications if I get caught "moving"? It seems several people do it and I don't see the big deal if I pay the $5 for the out of market locals, but will I face any criminal or civil liability if DISH catches me? How should I go about this (where should I move)? Do I need to know someone in another market and use their address?

I'm tempted to wait to see if that new Quezstat (sp?) satellite that will be launched in August will fix my problem, but I must have locals this fall for football season.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated. I'm new to all this, but feel like I've learned a lot reading this forum.

What are the consequences/ramifications if I get caught "moving"?
worse case is they move you back
It seems several people do it and I don't see the big deal if I pay the $5 for the out of market locals, but will I face any criminal or civil liability if DISH catches me?
no
How should I go about this (where should I move)? Do I need to know someone in another market and use their address?
do a search on "moving". Lots of answers in regards to it ...thats the best answer I can give you

Make sure that wherever you "move" to, you are able to receive locals off EA. Also, have fun convincing them to not send a tech for installation. You might just try calling and seeing if you can have your locals changed...

Make sure that wherever you "move" to, you are able to receive locals off EA. Also, have fun convincing them to not send a tech for installation. You might just try calling and seeing if you can have your locals changed...

When you call them, tell them you've already moved and that you set up everything yourself and that it's working fine. They will then change your location in their system and you should automatically get the locals for that location. This way no installers will be pestering you. This is what I did.

When you call them, tell them you've already moved and that you set up everything yourself and that it's working fine. They will then change your location in their system and you should automatically get the locals for that location. This way no installers will be pestering you. This is what I did.
Or, you can use the chat. If they tell you to call a 1-800 # or something else, just close the chat window and try again.

You could safely "move" to Macon as that market is on Conus on 77W (for how long, that's another story). Just check the List

Last edited:
Also the address you use in the other market needs to be a real address. Just use a movie theater or other business that has been around awhile. A lot of people use an apartment number with it as well.

Ive have actually reakly moved several times, they try to send a tech out, i just say its not necessary since I am a tech. They never ask what office, besides, csr's know not of all the install office everywhere, so you are good to go if you say you've already set it up.

I am wondering what are the spotbeam locations or which are on conus on Direct, specifically with regard to the HD locals in SF, LA, NY, and Chicago. Can anyone direct me to the correct location?

What about mail?

Thank you to all who have responded. I really appreciate it. I'm trying to decide between Atlanta and Macon. I'll try to chat with a DISH tech on their website later today and get myself hooked up.

Last edited:
One more quick question: Should I wait a couple months before "moving" so as to not attract the attention of auditors? I just started receiving DISH Network service as a brand new customer about a month ago. Although I'd rather have local programming now, would it be prudent for me to wait until next month or August?

I "moved" the day after Directv upgraded me to HD (was the 4th time I've moved in 18 months...once was back to my legit home)

use GREAT caution if you EVER need a box replaced.

For many years i used a public school address in oil city pa, they were one of my customers. i figured they would never be a legit sub.

had to replace a box once ands despite my instructions E rep sent box to my physical;( they called and asked why did dish ship a box of yours to us:(

I ended up driving 5 hours, 2.5 hours each way to get my box and gave the school a free service call.

the school said i wasnt the only one doing this, they had gotten 5 boxes last i checked....

so move back home before RMA a box

use GREAT caution if you EVER need a box replaced.

For many years i used a public school address in oil city pa, they were one of my customers. i figured they would never be a legit sub.

had to replace a box once ands despite my instructions E rep sent box to my physical;( they called and asked why did dish ship a box of yours to us:(

I ended up driving 5 hours, 2.5 hours each way to get my box and gave the school a free service call.

the school said i wasnt the only one doing this, they had gotten 5 boxes last i checked....

so move back home before RMA a box

That is simple he just has to change the service address before he calls or chats w/ them.

Just a suggestion I would get Pittsburgh locals off 77. It is conus presently and it has The Big 4 plus the CW & PBS all in HD. The others on 77 don't have all those in HD just the big 4 and sometimes PBS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)