Considering a plasma, will I have to change my 522?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

typerk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Irving, TX
I am really looking into getting a HDTV plasma but I am curious if I will have to change anything with my 522 hookup? Will the 522 work with it or will I have to change receivers?

Do they have dual HD tuners with DVR or will I have to get two different receivers? Will they have to change anything else, is it as simply as swapping the box?

typerk said:
Do they have dual HD tuners with DVR or will I have to get two different receivers? Will they have to change anything else, is it as simply as swapping the box?
Yes. The 921 (dual tuner, single output) and the 942 (dual tuner, dual output - one HD, one SD).

Yes, it's just a box swap, but they'll empty your wallet at the same time.

Ok I'm sorry, last question. Will the 522 look that bad on a hdtv or will I absolutely have to change receivers immedately to justify buying a new tv? Anyone run the 522 with a hd? Thanks for your responses.

plasma

typerk said:
I am really looking into getting a HDTV plasma but I am curious if I will have to change anything with my 522 hookup? Will the 522 work with it or will I have to change receivers?
If i was you i wouldn't buy a plasma they don't hold up i had a tv repair guy tell me he wouldn't take one if somebody gave him one for free he said there a piece of junk i would look into a lcd or projection tv instead of a plasma!

plasma

Pepper said:
i'm running a 522 on a 54 inch Samsung RPTV using the S-video connection, looks fine to me.
I didn't mean anything about the reciever plasmas do look good as far as picture quality and sleek design but they can't hold a candle to the lifespan of a lcd or projectiontv such as dlp projection. :yes

Once you see REAL* HDTV, you'll never be satisfied with anything less.

* By REAL I mean with a proper tuner & signal - NOT upconverted SD.

You'll know it when you see it, and if you don't, then you're blind in one eye and can't see with the other.

cappy29 said:
If i was you i wouldn't buy a plasma they don't hold up i had a tv repair guy tell me he wouldn't take one if somebody gave him one for free he said there a piece of junk i would look into a lcd or projection tv instead of a plasma!

I didn't mean anything about the reciever plasmas do look good as far as picture quality and sleek design but they can't hold a candle to the lifespan of a lcd or projectiontv such as dlp projection
cappy29, You really need to do some research before spreading false information. The latest generation of plasma TVs have a projected life of 60,000 hours (to half brightness), roughly equivalent to a standard CRT. I have had my Panasonic plasma for about two years now and I would never trade it for an LCD or prjection TV.

Thanks a lot everyone for your response and yes I have been hearing that I shouldn't get a plasma and am looking into lcd. No matter what, by this christmas or who knows maybe by labor day I will have a new tv. I think I will hold off on switching the receiver for now though.

typerk said:
Thanks a lot everyone for your response and yes I have been hearing that I shouldn't get a plasma and am looking into lcd.

Remember, with LCD or DLP projections, you will need to replace the bulb when it burns out, (not cheap) & the bulbs will loose brightness over time.
I sugest you check out
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/
for alot of info on all types of display devices

Jordan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)