Considering a return to Time Warner

Xicer,

No offense, but with an entire 10 posts now in your count, you come off as an intolerant fanboy. You keep insulting those who disagree with you, and stating your situation as a universal. For example, in Milwaukee, the TWC fee for the first cablecard is $3.99/mo and TWC will only support two tuners. The also will not support 2 way comms for VoD even though the card itself supports it. The biggest issue though is that nobody bothers to learn to support the cablecard. Even tier 3 support was useless here, and I was forced to go through the TIVO boards, the TWC boards, and TIVO support so that I could walk a tier 3 tech through procedures to support authorizing the card and the SDV adapter for the tIVO box.

I applaud your willingness to support your own setup, and it is fortunate that the FCC has now ruled to allow self installs. However, all of this is beyond the desire or ability of the average consumer, so the leased DVR at their set rates becomes the only practical solution. Even though I am technically savvy, I eventually tired of the constant fighting with a non-supported solution and looked at alternatives.

Again, I am glad you managed to get a 6 tuner HTPC working, but please be more tolerant with those less brilliant than you.

Holey buckets, TWC is offering 79.99 for their triple play including 2 HD DVR + 10 Mbps internet + unlimited phone.
No Contract
Price good for 24 months
No installation or equipment fee
$19 phone activation

Apparently, this is for existing internet-only customers
Dang it. If dish doesn't kiss and make up with Rainbow, we may have to give this a shot!

Just upped my internet service from standard to extreme (30/5mbps) for $10/month than standard with my same $30/month standard promo being extended for another 12 months. So I am paying $40/month for extreme for 12 months. Haven't noticed any difference with download, but upload is much faster than the 1mbps I got with standard.

Time Warner really lags behind the rest of the cable industry in upload speed. Light Reading Cable - The Bauminator - Cable's Upstream Gap

Among some of FiOS's big cable competitors, Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK)'s fastest residential D3 tier offers upstream bursts of 20Mbit/s, which isn't too shabby. Cablevision Systems Corp. (NYSE: CVC)'s comes in at 15Mbit/s, which isn't bad either. But Time Warner Cable Inc. (NYSE: TWC) is trailing them both with top upstream speeds of just 5Mbit/s.

I had to go with the 50/5 to get 5 down here from TWC. The 30mbit just runs 1.5 up.

I called over to a local sales center and they told me they'd hold one for me to exchange.

Hello! I am trying to do the same thing you did prior to installation but I can't talk to any installer people until I place an order...which I don't want to do until I talk to the installer...chicken and egg thing going on. How did you manage to talk to anyone first? I also have basic questions like will the cable from the street into the house require digging up my front yard or is there a cable already installed into the house that I don't know about? Do I need separate cable outlets for the phone and internet or are they the same location as the TV? What if I want them in a separate room, is that possible? Stuff like that. I guess I could place the order, get the holy number from the call center guy then cancel if I don't like what they tell me...just seems like there must be a way to do this without giving out my c/c number to a call center in who-knows-where. Thanks for your help.

The local sales center I called was a kiosk in our local mall where I signed up for service. I had asked the sales rep before he signed me up if they kept boxes on hand. He showed me a stash he had in a drawer in the kiosk and they had one of the boxes I wanted. I asked him if my installer didn't have one could I switch the one he installed out and the rep told me that was fine. Of course, the installer didn't have what I wanted, so I simply swapped the one out with a quick trip to the mall and I am very happy with this box. It's not Dish Network 722 quality, but a heckuva lot better than I had last time with Time Warner.

I use wireless for my home and it works great (I can stream Netflix in HD, and game with very low ping, anywhere in my home) so I have no need for wiring up a connection in each room so can't help there. Good luck! I'm certainly enjoying the $80 per month savings.

Right now I am paying $113 a month for Turbo Internet 20 mbps, whole house DVR (which includes hd dvr in living room and hd box in bedroom that can access the recordings on the dvr), All Time Warner Tiers, Sports Pass, Variety Pass, Movie Pass and HD Pass; basically everything except the HBO, Starz, etc and of the foreign country channels. The only thing I am missing is the NFL Network and hopefully by football season, they will finally work that out. You are gonna love the Prime Time On Demand - all prime time shows are available 24 hours after they are shown on the networks, plus all the other free on demand channels. When I left Dish, I was paying $50 a month for TWC and basic service; $85 a month for Dish. So even going on three years since Dish; I am still saving over $35 a month. Ohh.. if you are into sports subscriptions; they have 10 HD Channel Slots reserved for use of the NHL and MLB.

I would not count on TW ever getting the NFL network.
Here in Cincinnati they dropped it from INSIGHT, which had NFL network since before TW bought Insight. TW just did not renew even though NFL had said they did not want any increase.
TW said in the paper that NFL just wanted too much for a channel which was not watched all that much.

I would not count on TW ever getting the NFL network.
Here in Cincinnati they dropped it from INSIGHT, which had NFL network since before TW bought Insight. TW just did not renew even though NFL had said they did not want any increase.
TW said in the paper that NFL just wanted too much for a channel which was not watched all that much.

The old adelphia cable unit in our area had it too, but TWC dumped it here when they took it over. I can't imagine the NFL Network is watched less than other sports league channels? After all they carry SNY and YES, even though once baseball season is over who watches them?

It's old news, obviously...but TWC added NFL Network a few weeks back...enjoying my Red Zone on Sundays! Plus Walking Dead season premiere on AMC tonight...would have missed that with Dish. :D

It's old news, obviously...but TWC added NFL Network a few weeks back...enjoying my Red Zone on Sundays! Plus Walking Dead season premiere on AMC tonight...would have missed that with Dish. :D

I did notice over the weekend though, that on TWLA-Sportsnet the Lakers preseason game was blacked out for the Buffalo WNY System. Whats the since of giving us the channel if we aren't gonna get the games? Also digitial adapters are coming for those old analog tv sets you have in your home as they drop more and more analog basic channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)