Considering Dish..help!

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
So here's the story: I'm buying a house. Currently, I live in a house that our family owns and has DirecTV installed. I'm moving out and my brother is moving in. He's probably going to get DirecTV so I can leave my account there without having to break my contract. I'm considering Dish for my new house simply because DirecTV's DVRs are not up to par. I like the multiroom viewing that is in testing, but they are just too laggy (even with non-beta software on them). However, I do have a few considerations for Dish:

Is there a single wire type setup such as DirecTV's SWM? Each room has one coax homerun back to the entry point for cable/satellite, but I'd like to have dual tuners at each of 3 HDTVs. At least one of these will be required for the cable modem, so it'd be nice if I could also diplex that, but not required.

Is there a multi-room viewing solution? I don't mean the TV2 output from DVRs, I mean, can I sit at any of my 3 HDTVs and watch something recorded in a different room in HD?

What is the ETA on the 922, what is the pricing going to be for a new customer and existing customers, and can you use the normal remote (not the touch pad) with it?

Can an internet connection take the place of the phone line in order to avoid the $5 programming access charge?

Thanks guys for the help. And if there is a place that has more info (such as an FAQ or something) point me in that direction and I'll be less of a bother :)

And if a mod could move this to the main Dish forum, I'd appreciate it. Didn't realize I was in the technical sub.

Dish has long employed a single wire connection to receivers. Dish does NOT have MRV as you describe, but the upcoming 922's sling technology will render similar results. ETA, probably late summer, early Fall. They are currently being Beta tested. Yes, an internet connection will eliminate the $5.00 fee. To order or if you have further questions, call Dishstore.

You CAN view HD at 2 locations from one receiver IF you can run a HDMI or component/audio cables to the 2nd HDTV. I'm talking a "mirrored" signal of course-same channel/same time from the TV1 tuner. All the outputs are "hot" at the same time. I have 2 dual tuner HD DVRs, a 622 & a 722 and have HD available at 4 HDTVs or SD at the 2nd TVs via dual mode if need be. One of my receivers is using component/audio outs to feed the primary HDTV and HD is sent to the 2nd HDTV via HDMI. The other receiver feeds HD to 2 HDTVs via 2 HDMIs using a HDMI splitter. Quality cables are inexpensive and shipped fast from monoprice.com. Got the HDMI splitter there as well. Hope this helps.

Ed

Yeah, unfortunately that's not the type of solution I was hoping for. I guess I am going to stick it out with DirecTV and hope Tivo pans out early next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts