Considering Dish Network

I've seen Dish SD on my buddies 65" Hitachi Ultravision and I can without a doubt tell you that the PQ is awful. If you like a fuzzy, mushy mess, then by all means, watch it & you will need glasses within a month.

milhouse said:
The downside of cable is less SD channels for about $20 more. Important ones like IFC. Plus I haven't researched OTA HD with cable, does it work the same way?

On the subject of SD picture quality-most of that would be watched on a 32". The 65" would be the HD. I don't want 'crap', but I'm not expecting perfection.

It's hard to answer your HD on cable question, since each system can do things a bit differently. On my system the local OTA HD channels are distributed via the cable, no antenna necessary, and you tune them in just like any other channel.

Milhouse,

I see you haven't received any answers from any people who actually like Dish Network, and there are a great number of us. I am waiting for the 921 receiver to come down in price a bit more until I have HD, but I have a 721 and a 508 that I like very much and use heavily. The picture quality on my 61" screen looks very good, and I have no complaints at all.

I will never go back to cable having suffered with various companies since the 80s. Haven't used DirecTV for about 4 years, since which I've had Dish Network.

My brother has an 811 which he has told me he likes very much which he uses with a 9' screen. His wife and 2 daughters seem to have no problems using it.

Good luck in your choice!

milhouse said:
If I post a similar question in the Direct forum will I get similar comments?

Most likely not. The direct tv people are famous for coming over to the dish network forum promoting direct tv.

I have been thinking about switching to Direct TV for some time. I got to preview the picture quality last night and it is horrible. Way worse than cable and to tell you the truth over the air analog is much better. I don't know what direct tv is up to, but no way will I make the switch now.

There is also alot more up front cost and their customer service is poor. Dish Network just won the JD Power award for overall customer satisfation.

Don't take the above to seriously, it was to make humor at the people who have Direct TV and Voom who come over here and bash Dish Network.

Do a search for the same question and you will see it is the same few people who bash or make fun of dish network.

PQ is near equal and will vary on who is better by who you ask. See if you can view both. Look at the prices, see what programing is right for you and make your choice that way. The 811 HD is running much better now that before, I seriously doubt you will have a problem with it.

korsjs said:
The 811 HD is running much better now that before, I seriously doubt you will have a problem with it.

From VERY recent posts on this site from CURRENT 811 owners:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=28123
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=28309&highlight=811
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=26641&highlight=811
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=5219&highlight=811

As I said (and I didn't bash E*) was check the sites and see what people are saying, some love it, some think it's a POS, some in between. Again, I'd recommend getting something that didn't have a commitment in case you fall into the POS category, unless korsjs is willing to pay you for any termination charges ;)

I have complained about the 811 myself and have said I would go to direct tv when my contract is up with dish (about the same time direct says they will have all the hd channels) because I feel direct is more commited to hd channels. The reason I will not go to voom, is because I feel it is a failing company. The point I am trying to get across is the same people always are bashing dish that don't even have it anymore. If I deceide to make the switch (i most likely will) I will not come and bash dish network. I don't go to the voom forums and tell everyone that the company is failing and I don't go to the direct tv forums complaining about their prices.

I am just tired of seeing direct tv people coming over that used to have dish network saying how bad it is. Both companies have their faults. It is up to the individual to deceide what service to go with.

I also believe (I am not 100 percent sure) dish network has no commitment with one of their sign up plans.

The 811 does have some issues with it, but they are not as major anymore as everyone makes them out to be.

boba said:
Read Cascades many posts "They' :) re here again"

Don't get me started :)

I can't speak for Voom or DTV as I've never used them.
I'm neither a cable fanboy nor do I feel I owe Dish Network any loyalty whatsoever, especially after the last 3 months.

It's only TV.

I've had Dish 811 since 12-03. I have a Toshiba 51HX83.

Great HD (all meager 4 channels of it). BUT HORRIBLE SD PQ!

I'm going to try Direct TV HDTV once I am unchained from Dish, since I had to buy 12 months of service to get the Dish 811 for $149! And Dish won't let me out of that contract even though the SD PQ is bad.

I've had Dish for 6 years and I'm gone on 12-1-04 because of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts