considering hopper/joey. Connection question with a Vulkano placeshifter

elite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2004
So....Currently I have Uverse. I think its time to switch. My questions is about connecting my placeshifer. Currently I have 2 Uverse boxes. Box 1 is in my living room. Box 2 is in my bedroom. Bedroom setup is using the HDMI to my tv and Component to Vulkano, Pretty simple.

Problem....switching to Hopper/Joey (I think). So I now have a Joey, it only has HDMI out so thatll go to my tv which means I have to move my Vulkano to the living room. OK, so Im wondering if Im offside and watching and someone is home, are they stuck watching what I am watching? I know in a perfect world, if the Hopper were a 2 TV device like I think that 722 is that would work, but what about all the built in tuners, is what Im trying to do possible?

I have a Slingbox HD connected to my Hopper via Component cables and my TV connected to that Hopper using HDMI. When I use my Slingbox I take over the main TV feed since the Slingbox is connected to the main video output. A Sling Adapter would allow for remote viewing and take over a free tuner so it doesn't interfere with the home viewing experience.

Perhaps you should wait for the new Hopper with built-in Slinging capability. If it is like the ViP922, it won't consume a local outlet.

A Vulkano will necessarily need its own Joey to avoid conflicts.

Great idea in regards to the extra Joey. The only hitch is the vulkano only has component inputs. I just ordered the vulkano and liked the lower priced per device monsoon product but not a deal breaker. Hmmmm

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps the HDMI to component converters that are so popular in the DIRECTV world to get around HDCP problems will work with the Joey.

A Sling Adapter may be a cheaper solution unless the Sling mobile client cost puts it over the top.

I will look into the converter. I was thinking perhaps such a thing exists. I don't use apple. Don't wanna use sling. I like to go against the grain and I like that when I cannot monsoon they answer. Free tech support, cheaper app, wireless, 150 bux.

If it is like the ViP922, it won't consume a local outlet.

A Vulkano will necessarily need its own Joey to avoid conflicts.

The 922 DOES consume an "outlet". Like other two-output ViPs, the 922 shares a second decoder, etc. between PIP, TV2 and Sling. Activating Sling makes PIP and TV2 as a separate output unavailable.

Hopper has done away with the Duo Mode that provides TV2 with a separate program (Joeys provide the separate programs) but PIP and Sling still are mutually exclusive.

Joey can't do PIP or Sling because they only have one decoder.

Dedicating a Joey and using a HDMI to analog component converter for Vulkano use would be the ultimate solution but it's $7/mo.

I like to go against the grain and I like that when I cannot monsoon they answer. Free tech support, cheaper app, wireless, 150 bux.
As long as you understand that the Sling adapter costs around $44 and gets its signal through a USB port, you're well informed in your choice.

So at the moment I'm using uverse. Got the vulkano connected. Love the interface. Hooked it up wireless are the moment and surprisingly the quality is excellent. I also like that I can store on that separately and move shows to my tablet for offline viewing. Back to the converter though I think if I go dish ill her an HDMI splitter. One directly to TV. The other to vulkano via HDMI to component converter. Problem solved. Don't know how much I like the integrated solution. This way I'm not btwn one service or another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)