considering switching from Direct to Dish

When I switched to dish, I did so because a friend of mine kept telling me how great the hopper was, which it is. But I soon realized that I lost a few channels that me and my wife watched. So for me, that's the only reason I say directv is better, also directv has more channels in HD that I watch. So let me put it like this and not say one is better than the other, it all depends on what you watch!!
That is a huge dependency indeed. If you consider the aspects other than programming, there's also some serious considerations.

Say what you mean.

My friend kept telling me how great the hopper was and how the sling worked, like I said, the hopper is great. Then I asked myself the question, how much tv do I watch away from home, none. If you are one that travels a lot, go for the hopper with sling, you won't go wrong!!

I was just using Colorado as an example. But yes, Virginia as well. And Conn and RI. Michigan, etc. any snow area at all. I don't get that in phx. Makes me a sad panda. Lol jk

My friend kept telling me how great the hopper was and how the sling worked, like I said, the hopper is great. Then I asked myself the question, how much tv do I watch away from home, none. If you are one that travels a lot, go for the hopper with sling, you won't go wrong!!
Ahh ... heres something else though .. I see people posting about the Virtual Joey ... and there's a cost to that..

but ... if you have a pc thats less than 5 years old.. you could hook it up to a TV and use sling player (dish online) for free.

Until yesterday I also had TWC cable. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse 2 years ago. Only about $20 over internet for 2 years. Just got a notice that they were raising it by $30. They only thing I used it for was MSG.
Comparing the 2 dvr's was easy. The TWC was ancient technology. Could record only 1 channel at a time. Their TWC Anywhere is BS. You could not watch local channels/sports remotely. You would only get the option "To Watch on TV"
With the HWS, I can watch both my local DMA (Rochester, NY) and a 2nd set of locals (Syracuse, NY) remotely.
The above mentioned channels, CW and MeTV(witrh guide info) plus several others including local weather are avaliable as sub channels.

A bit OT, but I think that DirecTV and Dish are the best MVPD's by far, at least overall. However, the Dish has this but not DirecTV or the DirecTV has but not Dish has always been the case. My cousing would like to switch to DirecTV because they have the Lakers, but then he would lose PAC 12 and now SEC and he is excited about the forthcoming new ESPN's, but he might lose all that if he switched, and as of now no one but TWC has the Dodgers. Further, his kids greatly prefer Dish for its channels, and did not like the few years they had DirecTV. It is clear: both Dish and DirecTV has their bugs and issues that can drive their customers crazy, and I think both services have the best whole home DVR's today. While we and many who I know prefer Dish, I often recommend DirecTV if they really value of if it works to be being just a bit cheaper depending upon the channels they want which dictates the package, but I've never felt either Dish or DirecTV has the other "beat," never even close to that. They are both well-run companies who do strive to innovate and really care about the achieving the best quality PQ and audio and best experience they can within their limitations. Each has a strength that appeals to different households, but neither is has the other "beat." Now, they do have cable beat, IMHO. I say Dish or DirecTV, whichever fits your needs you are going to get an overall superior experience than cable today. I just hope AT&T doesn't ruin DirecTV by cheap-skating like they did with their FTN and Uverse service.

MeTV is available if an LIL (main channel) is an MeTV affiliate. Fortunately we get MeTV via LIL in our DMA, but also an additional MeTV channel OTA as a sub-channel of the main OTA channel. Yes, it is all about research and deciding which channels you can live without for a service that meets one's overall needs and desires.

I agree completely with this last post. Being a huge Dish fan, I don't want my brother switching from DTV because of the sports. The ST is enough to keep him happy for a year. But I do get the feeling AT&T will do what they do best and completely screw it up. One of the oldest and most successful companies in American history, and yet they are the only company I consistently hear "I will never trust anything with an AT&T name on it".

OMG !! Things I had forgotten I missed with Dish
  • 6 or more channels displayed in the guide (SEVEN! YAY!!)
  • 3 .. THREE.. 3 Hours in the guide !! (so pleased with this, that this was what actually prompted me to post!)
  • Responsive remote!
omg .. no more scrolling to the right just to see what's on in the three biggest hours ... I know.. little things.. but really oh my god its awesome.

I've also got to say... this hopper with sling .. loads of features, some of them I'm sure weren't there originally but now.. and I would bet many people don't think of them.. I was in the CC configuration menu.. 6 different font styles! base colors plus? and base+ colors for Text, Text Background, AND Window !! Opacity for window or text or both!

wow.

poo poo on my installer however, he didn't know hopper to hopper was possible ... until it appeared on the screen.. I'm like "what?" "really?" "wow".

And I don't usually watch the promo stuff but the installer had it set there and asked that I not change the channel while he's working on the other systems .. perhaps a good way to force a customer to watch.. these were fairly informative, visually rather than just reading here or there, and I've got to admit Dish's PR group have some pretty cute commercials ... love the Genie looking in the mirror ... "how could this be ... the hopper is better than me!?" and POOF she's dust. LOL

As much as i'm a DirecTV sub, but when it comes to streaming live TV,recordings, schedule and view timers, and not just on in-home network, Dish is better in that respect,

Only thing I don't like about Dish is the higher monthly fees for Hoppers and Super Joey's,

But DirecTV is no different, especially the $6 fee on first receiver for new customers, but they'll remove HD fee in return.

Directvs equivalent reciever, the genie, has a $25 advanced whole home DVr service fee. Dish truly is cheaper in that regard.

switched over from Direct in June to Dish and I am enjoying Dish. as far as the Hopper, dvr recordings, tuners, timers, interface and guide, I like Dish better than Direct. true I lost some and gained some stations in the switch. Directv is far superior in sports. affording the big sports packs on Direct is impossible for us. Dish made me a fabulous deal to come over plus I received an extra on top of the deal at the time.

switched over from Direct in June to Dish and I am enjoying Dish. as far as the Hopper, dvr recordings, tuners, timers, interface and guide, I like Dish better than Direct. true I lost some and gained some stations in the switch. Directv is far superior in sports. affording the big sports packs on Direct is impossible for us. Dish made me a fabulous deal to come over plus I received an extra on top of the deal at the time.

Other than the Sunday Ticket and some interactive sports features I don't think DirecTV is that far ahead of Dish anymore. Have you seen all the sports channels that Dish has to offer now?

I would agree, while it does not bother me, I am sure in 3...2...1 the full time RSN will jump in :)

If you take a step back the provider that "Hates Sports" has or will have

SEC Network
strikezone
Goal line
Redzone
Longhorn
PAC 12
BIG 10
Buzzerbeater

Just to name a few of the sports not counting soccer channels (which I am a fan off)
not bad for a provider that hates sports lol :)

Would it be nice to see some of the weekly shows in HD yea on RSN but I am surviving

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Other than the Sunday Ticket and some interactive sports features I don't think DirecTV is that far ahead of Dish anymore. Have you seen all the sports channels that Dish has to offer now?
I have the multi sports package and see that Dish has taken big strides in sports since I was here before. I was looking for GolTV which I had on Direct and wondered if Dish has it. VOD is an area where Direct make be ahead of Dish. I noticed NBC programming in on demand but not CBS, ABC,(both on demand in Direct) or Fox.

As a Buffalo Sabres fan, I miss not having MSG. I have found work arounds. For 2 years I had a great deal with TWC. I wqas getting basic digital cable and internet for around $70/mo. Promo expired and they wanted to raise my rate to $104/mo. Day after I got the letter, the cable boxes went back to TWC.
Love my Hoppers and best of all the wife knows how to use them
"Happy wife, Happy Like"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)