Considering switching from Direct to Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

upsss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
AZ
I went to the Dish website and I want the Hopper 3 with one 4K Joey. It would NOT let me select that unless I select service for 3 TVs with 2 Joeys. Why can't I have just the Hopper 3 with one 4K Joey?

They are trying to charging me $12/mo for Local channels and I have the option NOT to get local channels, is that true? I have perfect reception of all local channels with my UHF antenna. If I select not to pay for the local channels will I be able to record multiple local channels and watch the recordings on the Hopper 3 and the 4K Joey? Would I need any additional hardware to do that?

Thanks

I went to the Dish website and I want the Hopper 3 with one 4K Joey. It would NOT let me select that unless I select service for 3 TVs with 2 Joeys. Why can't I have just the Hopper 3 with one 4K Joey?

They are trying to charging me $12/mo for Local channels and I have the option NOT to get local channels, is that true? I have perfect reception of all local channels with my UHF antenna. If I select not to pay for the local channels will I be able to record multiple local channels and watch the recordings on the Hopper 3 and the 4K Joey? Would I need any additional hardware to do that?

Thanks
You can always make changes after it is installed, or even when it is installed. If the only way it will let you get the equipment you want is to add another Joey, you can always deactivate and return that Joey later, or just refuse to activate that Joey when the technician brings it in the first place. As far as the locals, Dish seems to be pushing those onto accounts, in spite of the fact that they allow you to drop them. The last couple of times I have made changes to my account with Flex Pack (one of which did not even involve changing my programming) the locals were automatically added by Dish's system, and I had to drop them. You can do the same thing, but if you want to record multiple locals, then you will need the dual-tuner OTA adapter to connect your antenna to your Hopper 3. With only one Hopper on the account, you would be limited to two OTA tuners, so you could only record up to two local channels at the same time.

Is this dual OTA adapter available at extra cost? Will I see the OTA channels program guide as part of the Dish guide?

Is this dual OTA adapter available at extra cost? Will I see the OTA channels program guide as part of the Dish guide?
The adapter is available, and can be purchased separately. Dish may or may not have it in stock, so check other online shopping sites to find one, and maybe get a better price than what Dish would charge. The OTA channels will appear in the guide. Whether or not they actually have guide data depends on whether Dish carries guide data for that station, and other factors. (The guide data comes from the satellite, even though the channels are OTA.) Any OTA local channels without guide data will just display the call letters in the guide in one-hour blocks that you can select to set timers. Or, you can set manual timers for those channels.

Reactions: JSheridan
Thanks to all, it looks like you can buy this dual OTA tuners on eBay for ~$50. Since I already have a great OTA antenna in my attic (I pickup over 80 local channels), so I will definitely will do that and within 4-5 months it will pay for itself.

Reactions: HipKat and pattykay
Thanks to all, it looks like you can buy this dual OTA tuners on eBay for ~$50. Since I already have a great OTA antenna in my attic (I pickup over 80 local channels), so I will definitely will do that and within 4-5 months it will pay for itself.
It could pay for itself immediately if you use a referral code from me, er...someone here and save yourself $50 upfront :D

Reactions: HipKat and ncted
The adapter is available, and can be purchased separately. Dish may or may not have it in stock, so check other online shopping sites to find one, and maybe get a better price than what Dish would charge. The OTA channels will appear in the guide. Whether or not they actually have guide data depends on whether Dish carries guide data for that station, and other factors. (The guide data comes from the satellite, even though the channels are OTA.) Any OTA local channels without guide data will just display the call letters in the guide in one-hour blocks that you can select to set timers. Or, you can set manual timers for those channels.
Wit the OTA blitz going on, for the first time in over a year, we have a ton of adapters. I assume most offices can say the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)