Considering switching from Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
One problem is there are no viable alternatives to high-speed Internet in my area. I am stuck with Comcast so I have had them for many years for other services besides TV. I also use them at 8 other locations at work for Internet and some TV. Don't get me wrong, I HATE Comcast as much as any other Comcast customer. :usa2 And yes, you need to stay on top of it, or the price will go up. But all you do (basically) is get another package about a month before the one you have expires.

But now I hate Dish Network more because they didn't give me what they promised, and they abused my credit card. Otherwise I would still have Dish. There is no way the lame T120+ package, with one Hopper3 and one Joey is worth $85+ per month. I am getting 260+ channels (mostly crap though, it's all the same) plus all the premium channels for much less than that. Also, "On Demand" is far more extensive on Xfinity than Dish IMHO.

Ultimately, it's a sad state of affairs that I need to pick a provider on the basis of who I hate less. :lol: Better the devil you know. I have never tried Direct TV because of what I have heard about them so I doubt I ever will.

Peace

One problem is there are no viable alternatives to high-speed Internet in my area. I am stuck with Comcast so I have had them for many years for other services besides TV. I also use them at 8 other locations at work for Internet and some TV. Don't get me wrong, I HATE Comcast as much as any other Comcast customer. :usa2 And yes, you need to stay on top of it, or the price will go up. But all you do (basically) is get another package about a month before the one you have expires.

But now I hate Dish Network more because they didn't give me what they promised, and they abused my credit card. Otherwise I would still have Dish. There is no way the lame T120+ package, with one Hopper3 and one Joey is worth $85+ per month. I am getting 260+ channels (mostly crap though, it's all the same) plus all the premium channels for much less than that. Also, "On Demand" is far more extensive on Xfinity than Dish IMHO.

Ultimately, it's a sad state of affairs that I need to pick a provider on the basis of who I hate less. :lol: Better the devil you know. I have never tried Direct TV because of what I have heard about them so I doubt I ever will.

Peace
Good luck to you!

Reactions: ncted and Brewer
This pretty much sums it up! (just kidding) :biggrin

I could actually do that comparison. I just got a new laptop with Windows 10. My old computer has Windows 95. :)

I went from Windows XP to Windows 8 couple years ago. What a nightmare for me. I did an online training course that HP sent along for free. It sure was a big help for me. The biggest help is when I installed StartIsBack: real start menu for Windows 8 and Windows 10. It gives you a start menu panel like XP and Windows 7. Works really great and has never given me any trouble. My wife uses it and several friends. Sure makes Windows 10 much nicer. I learned about it from fellow SatGuys member 3HaloODST.

Last edited:
I went from Windows XP to Windows 8 couple years ago. What a nightmare for me. I did an online training course that HP sent along for free. It sure was a big help for me. The biggest help is when I installed StartIsBack: real start menu for Windows 8 and Windows 10. It gives you a start menu panel like XP and Windows 7. Works really great and has never given me any trouble. My wife uses it and several friends. Sure makes Windows 10 much nicer. I learned about it from fellow SatGuys member 3HaloODST.

I use 'Classic Shell' which is a great start menu. Started using it when Windows 8 came along, just like you did. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
All you really needed to do is right click the start button and the old menu comes up.

My dad purchased a nice 4k tv this week so I got a chance to see Dish picture quality at his place and for channels I watch I thought it looked quite good.

This leads me to another question. Is it possible to get 4K without paying for DVR service? He's retired and home all damn day. No need to record anything and just has a standard no DVR HD receiver now.

Reactions: pattykay
This leads me to another question. Is it possible to get 4K without paying for DVR service? He's retired and home all damn day. No need to record anything and just has a standard no DVR HD receiver now.
4K is only available via the Hopper 3 (with it's inherent DVR fee) and the 4K Joey (tied to H3).

Well, Dish Quoted $65 per month inclusive of taxes and fees. My lowest bill was $75+ the highest was over $100 because of an unexplained "one time charge" of $15. It went to $85 after 3 months and that was after removing HBO that they said would be free for 12 months.

Like I said, not sure what happened during the 2+ years I went back to Comcast. I only left Dish because they raised my package to $75+ per month when it had only been a little over $50 for many years and CS basically said ok, bye bye.

So now, I just added TV to my Internet/Phone package and it only ended up costing about $50 more than I was already spending. Oh, but the package is actually called Premier Tripple Play and it was something like $149 for two years, but comes to a little less than $200 with an extra box for the bedroom and all the other bs. Still a way bettrr deal because I get Movie Channel, Starz, HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and a bunch of other crap.

Peace

Also, one thing about Comcast, you don't get any early termination fees unless you quit ALL services. I didn't know that before. Dish stuck me with a $400 charge for a going away present.

So here is my take away from this. You thought Dish was $25 a month over priced so you paid them $400 to provide you nothing. You showed them!

Also I can not believe you think anyone is going to provide you with two room DVR service with all the premiums for $50 a month once out an introductory offer. I think your issues stem from not reading the fine print and understanding what you are signing up for.

So here is my take away from this. You thought Dish was $25 a month over priced so you paid them $400 to provide you nothing. You showed them!

Also I can not believe you think anyone is going to provide you with two room DVR service with all the premiums for $50 a month once out an introductory offer. I think your issues stem from not reading the fine print and understanding what you are signing up for.

No, I had Dish for many years prior to returning to them after a year or so with Xfinity. I had T120 package, one Hopper and one Joey and always stable bill at about $50 per month. I didn't have any premiums, but once in a while I would call and they would give me free HBO for 3 months, or once HBO was $5 per month extra for one year.

When I returned to Dish I was quoted $65 per month, inclusive of all fees and taxes for T120+ and HBO free for one year ($10 per month thereafter). Of course the introductory 3 free months of the other premiums was included and I knew those would be discontinued after the trial period. However what they ended up charging me for the T120+ and no premiums was over $85 per month.

UPDATE: My $400 ETF was refunded today after filing a complaint with the BBB. The rep said they were unable to find the sales call.

Reactions: mdonnelly
Ok I just checked. Xfinity Premier Tripple Play is still $149 with a 2 year agreement, and $159 with no commitment.

Plus all the fees, Broadcast Locals, Local Sports, DVR, each Box, that is the main reason I left Comcast, fees would add about a extra $50 a month to the bill but to be fair, all providers have fees of some type which is why I have Vue.

Reactions: Brewer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts