Considering the Move to Dish Network

bs0755

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 19, 2021
Michigan
Hi:

I am a new member here after coming across your Forum when researching Dish Network installations. We currently have Spectrum cable, and are considering the switch to Dish, after much frustration with tuning adapters and missing channels on our Tivos--along with poor customer service from both companies (each blaming the other...)

However, after three calls to Dish customer service, I am having second thoughts.... Not one person I have spoken with has ever heard of MoCA--which seems to be an integral part of the Dish system. Having Tivos and Minis, I am very familiar with MoCA, and I had some questions regarding the differences between the two systems. As I said, nobody knew what I was talking about, and the last person was downright rude/high pressure. I also had some questions regarding the installation--as I would like to do some of the work myself (running the cables to exterior wall where the dish would be mounted), but all he wanted to know was whether I was going to place an order or not.

Does anyone know of an installer in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area who I could contact in advance before placing an order?

Thanks in advance!

Make sure Dish carries the channels you want to watch. Dish is known to drop channels for months. Yes they are trying to keep the bill reasonable but it always seems there is always something missing. I’m very disappointed with Dish dropping my regional sports network. So we don’t get to see our home baseball and basketball teams. Good luck and hope you are happy with the decision you make on your provider.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If knowledgeable support is important to you, you need to slow down and make sure you're making the right decision. Based on my experience (and the next post will disagree, detailing how Dish personally shows up and changes the channel for them, makes them tea, and tucks them into bed) Dish had great service in the past and has moved away from that. You're under contract, so screw you. If there's any doubt in your mind, let me ask you...how many calls was that so far? And what was the result as a prospective new customer, a quick and courteous answer?

Reactions: bs0755
If knowledgeable support is important to you, you need to slow down and make sure you're making the right decision. Based on my experience (and the next post will disagree, detailing how Dish personally shows up and changes the channel for them, makes them tea, and tucks them into bed) Dish had great service in the past and has moved away from that. You're under contract, so screw you. If there's any doubt in your mind, let me ask you...how many calls was that so far? And what was the result as a prospective new customer, a quick and courteous answer?
I hear you—After 4 phone conversations and 2 service calls from Spectrum in the past week, it is definitely a matter of trying to choose between the lesser of two evils…

Reactions: edisonprime
I've had Dish for 20+ years and overall haven't had any bad experiences. Yes, like someone mentioned channels get dropped for carriage disputes but that will happen with anything unless you're getting it from an OTA antenna. The people that schedule installs aren't techs so they don't know. As for DIY installs I've done that too. There's plenty of wiring diagrams online with all different configurations.

Hi:

I am a new member here after coming across your Forum when researching Dish Network installations. We currently have Spectrum cable, and are considering the switch to Dish, after much frustration with tuning adapters and missing channels on our Tivos--along with poor customer service from both companies (each blaming the other...)

However, after three calls to Dish customer service, I am having second thoughts.... Not one person I have spoken with has ever heard of MoCA--which seems to be an integral part of the Dish system. Having Tivos and Minis, I am very familiar with MoCA, and I had some questions regarding the differences between the two systems. As I said, nobody knew what I was talking about, and the last person was downright rude/high pressure. I also had some questions regarding the installation--as I would like to do some of the work myself (running the cables to exterior wall where the dish would be mounted), but all he wanted to know was whether I was going to place an order or not.

Does anyone know of an installer in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area who I could contact in advance before placing an order?

Thanks in advance!
The Filipino guy that answers the phone in Manilla and tries to answer your questions in English while reading a computer screen in whatever language they speak in the Philipinnes is not going to know what MoCA is. If you're so familiar with it, what do you specifically need to know? And because some guy on the other side of the planet doesn't know the answer to a question that probably no one has ever asked, you'll have second thoughts?? I mean, most people compare receivers, options, capabilities, packages, prices, etc, and go with that. Also, using a Retailer in lieu of a Dish installer or Dish Authorized RSP is a perfect example of YMMV. Many retailers do just enough to get the job in, not following Dish standards and leave you with a less than pleasant experience.

The Filipino guy that answers the phone in Manilla and tries to answer your questions in English while reading a computer screen in whatever language they speak in the Philipinnes is not going to know what MoCA is. If you're so familiar with it, what do you specifically need to know? And because some guy on the other side of the planet doesn't know the answer to a question that probably no one has ever asked, you'll have second thoughts?? I mean, most people compare receivers, options, capabilities, packages, prices, etc, and go with that. Also, using a Retailer in lieu of a Dish installer or Dish Authorized RSP is a perfect example of YMMV. Many retailers do just enough to get the job in, not following Dish standards and leave you with a less than pleasant experience.
Phillipinos speak english

Points well taken. Having second thoughts was a poor choice of words on my part, as I am still seriously considering making the switch. Unfortunately, the scenario you describe could apply to any provider these days--So the option of just having to deal with one as opposed to both Spectrum and Tivo is appealing.

Here is a list of questions I have, based on the research I have done:

1. MoCA:
a. Do I need a specific MoCA filter for Dish Network?
b. I have an Apple TV that I want to use in one room--Is an Actiontec MoCA adapter compatible with the Dish system?
c. I assume that if a room does have ethernet, that it would be a preferred option of connecting a Joey to the network?

2. I am considering a Hopper 3, 4k Joey, and a standard Joey. The 4K Joey would be located a basement room that would have the entry point from the dish, the Hopper 3 in another room approximately 35 feet away that contains the cable modem and is the distribution point to all the other rooms in the house. (I am currently using an HDMI extender to connect to the upstairs Living Room.) The other Joey would be located in the upstairs Master Bedroom via the existing coax from the same room where the Hopper 3 would be located. It appears as though I would need a Hybrid Duo Hub (?) at the entry point, with one client line going to the 4K Joey in the same room, and the other client and host lines going to the network room--with the host line connected to the Hopper 3 and the client connected to the existing coax that goes to the Master Bedroom? Assuming this is correct, I would need to run 3 RG6 lines to the entry point?

3) Regarding the Multiview feature of the Hopper 3--I assume it would be possible to have the option of simultaneously watching 4 channels individually (switching between each channel and pausing/reversing) as opposed to all on the same screen?

Thanks!

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
Points well taken. Having second thoughts was a poor choice of words on my part, as I am still seriously considering making the switch. Unfortunately, the scenario you describe could apply to any provider these days--So the option of just having to deal with one as opposed to both Spectrum and Tivo is appealing.

Here is a list of questions I have, based on the research I have done:

1. MoCA:
a. Do I need a specific MoCA filter for Dish Network?
b. I have an Apple TV that I want to use in one room--Is an Actiontec MoCA adapter compatible with the Dish system?
c. I assume that if a room does have ethernet, that it would be a preferred option of connecting a Joey to the network?

2. I am considering a Hopper 3, 4k Joey, and a standard Joey. The 4K Joey would be located a basement room that would have the entry point from the dish, the Hopper 3 in another room approximately 35 feet away that contains the cable modem and is the distribution point to all the other rooms in the house. (I am currently using an HDMI extender to connect to the upstairs Living Room.) The other Joey would be located in the upstairs Master Bedroom via the existing coax from the same room where the Hopper 3 would be located. It appears as though I would need a Hybrid Duo Hub (?) at the entry point, with one client line going to the 4K Joey in the same room, and the other client and host lines going to the network room--with the host line connected to the Hopper 3 and the client connected to the existing coax that goes to the Master Bedroom? Assuming this is correct, I would need to run 3 RG6 lines to the entry point?

3) Regarding the Multiview feature of the Hopper 3--I assume it would be possible to have the option of simultaneously watching 4 channels individually (switching between each channel and pausing/reversing) as opposed to all on the same screen?

Thanks!
Good questions! First off, nix the 4K Joey. It doesn't support HDR and there's very, very little 4K programming. The $50 they charge isn't worth it.

The Hopper is all you need to connect to your network and it will share the connection via MoCA over coax and you won't need the adapter for your TV. And you're close but off on the Hub. You need a Solo Hub. Host to the Hopper and the 2 client ports to each Joey.

I can't answer your Multi-view question, but someone on here will. I never used it when I had my Hopper 3

Here is the deal - I had DISH for 17 years before I left (below). By FAR the best technology in the business. Hands down. Hopper is by far better than anything else out there.

But.....the channel selection is lacking IF you want local sports channels. If this is important to you then DISH is not for you.

And....cost is higher than competitors.....you can save money by bundling with your cable company or telephone company. Cost may be somewhat mitigated if you negotiate with them after your term expires.

Why did I leave? Truthfully, I had to leave. DISH ditched all local sports channels, and they are likely not coming back. And I saved money. But I would gladly pay MORE if I could use DISH's equipment. It is so superior.

I don’t think you’ll get your MoCA questions answered by some random Dish CSR. I doubt any providers first level CSR can answer those questions. Your installation requests are kinda specific and more in line with DIY tweaking once the typical Dish install is complete. I’ve done prewiring for past Dish installs so I know why you would want to do it. I’m not one to let them decide where and how wiring is run but there’s limitations on what you can pre-wire and what you shouldn’t.

- Run your RG6 from where you will have Joeys to a connection point that serves the Hopper location. No need to run network wire to the joeys but it’s best to hardwire the Hopper. Again, you’ll not get a proper response from Dish CSR’s on this issue. It’s site specific.

- why is the difference between Dish MoCA implementation vs TiVo important to you? You plan on integrating TiVo’s with the dish system? That’s probably something that’s rarely done in a Dish system these days. I doubt you’ll find many posts here even referring to TiVo’s and Hoppers being combined since Hopper pretty much eliminates any need for a TiVo unless you have something specific you’re trying to achieve.

- regarding Apple TV I would just set that up on a different input instead of trying a complicated unproven integration with the Dish system.

- Dish installs a system of diplexers and splitters so you don’t need separate runs of RG6 to the Hopper location or additional runs of RG 6 to the dish. It sounds like you have plenty of existing RG6 already run. Maybe you only need one new run from where the Dish will be located to the Hopper location but I’d almost want them to do that one.

Overall it seems some of your concerns are due to experiences with older TiVo tech and trying to apply that knowledge to Dish installs where some of those issues aren’t a factor. Sounds like you have above normal DIY knowledge in this area and can adapt your current needs on top of a typical Dish install. Worst case scenario is discussing this directly with the installer once he arrives which is probably the best tech support you’d get outside of here. Cheers…

- why is the difference between Dish MoCA implementation vs TiVo important to you? You plan on integrating TiVo’s with the dish system? That’s probably something that’s rarely done in a Dish system these days. I doubt you’ll find many posts here even referring to TiVo’s and Hoppers being combined since Hopper pretty much eliminates any need for a TiVo unless you have something specific you’re trying to achieve.
Much like switching from Mac to PC and wondering if current monitor cables will work or not, it is an entirely valid question. Obviously nobody is asking if one can use a TiVo with Dish. The way moca works, a filter is recommended so signal does not leak out onto the cable system. Not a concern with satellite, but one can understand the question. Well, except Dish apparently.

To attempt to answer the question, to the best of my knowledge Dish uses MoCA internally only, so the Joey(s) and Hopper can communicate, not to interact with your LAN. The Hopper will still want an Ethernet or wireless connection. While a Joey "can" connect via ethernet, it is not recommended and most likely the first thing Dish will blame if anything goes wrong. Much like Spectrum's first question is "do you have a third-party router connected?". Dish's first tool is to make sure you are using the connection they want, and if you aren't, that's likely your problem. It could be a clear video issue and they would suggest connecting everything "correctly" first.

1. MoCA:
Ethernet is not preferred or even officially supported for Joeys, but it works great in my experience. I don't think you can mix Dish MoCA and Actiontec adapters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)