Considering the Move to Dish Network

FWIW, you’re making a great choice coming to dish. The Hopper 3 is the best DVR I’ve ever had. It’s very affordable and the customer service is great! It’s extremely rare I’ve ever had an outage due to bad weather. I switched from Comcast, and Dish is wayyy more reliable. I am not a big sports watcher, but as others mentioned, Dish is apparently lacking in some sports content. Something to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

You may want to consider Wireless Joey's one WiFi access point directly connected to the Hopper 3, by Ethernet cable, then just plug the wireless Joey's to each TV.
Have the hopper directly connected to the Hybrid LNB Dish, no switches required. So simple, as for Apple TV you would have to create a separate network system for that.

Simple setup.

Here is the deal - I had DISH for 17 years before I left (below). By FAR the best technology in the business. Hands down. Hopper is by far better than anything else out there.

But.....the channel selection is lacking IF you want local sports channels. If this is important to you then DISH is not for you.

And....cost is higher than competitors.....you can save money by bundling with your cable company or telephone company. Cost may be somewhat mitigated if you negotiate with them after your term expires.

Why did I leave? Truthfully, I had to leave. DISH ditched all local sports channels, and they are likely not coming back. And I saved money. But I would gladly pay MORE if I could use DISH's equipment. It is so superior.
Cost is higher than competitors?? Having had Dish, Direct and Comcast within a 6 yr period, I can emphatically state this is wrong. Now, if you don't call Dish when your contract expires and the price goes up to renegotiate a lower price - something both Direct and Comcast refused to do, then you're the one to blame for paying higher bills

I don’t think you’ll get your MoCA questions answered by some random Dish CSR. I doubt any providers first level CSR can answer those questions. Your installation requests are kinda specific and more in line with DIY tweaking once the typical Dish install is complete. I’ve done prewiring for past Dish installs so I know why you would want to do it. I’m not one to let them decide where and how wiring is run but there’s limitations on what you can pre-wire and what you shouldn’t.

- Run your RG6 from where you will have Joeys to a connection point that serves the Hopper location. No need to run network wire to the joeys but it’s best to hardwire the Hopper. Again, you’ll not get a proper response from Dish CSR’s on this issue. It’s site specific.

- why is the difference between Dish MoCA implementation vs TiVo important to you? You plan on integrating TiVo’s with the dish system? That’s probably something that’s rarely done in a Dish system these days. I doubt you’ll find many posts here even referring to TiVo’s and Hoppers being combined since Hopper pretty much eliminates any need for a TiVo unless you have something specific you’re trying to achieve.

- regarding Apple TV I would just set that up on a different input instead of trying a complicated unproven integration with the Dish system.

- Dish installs a system of diplexers and splitters so you don’t need separate runs of RG6 to the Hopper location or additional runs of RG 6 to the dish. It sounds like you have plenty of existing RG6 already run. Maybe you only need one new run from where the Dish will be located to the Hopper location but I’d almost want them to do that one.

Overall it seems some of your concerns are due to experiences with older TiVo tech and trying to apply that knowledge to Dish installs where some of those issues aren’t a factor. Sounds like you have above normal DIY knowledge in this area and can adapt your current needs on top of a typical Dish install. Worst case scenario is discussing this directly with the installer once he arrives which is probably the best tech support you’d get outside of here. Cheers…
Yes, after some bad experiences with Spectrum in particular, and installers in general, I would prefer to do some of the work myself--I have a finished basement, and the room where the Hopper 3 would be located is about 35 feet from the entry point. The location where I envision the entry point, is a room where the first Joey would be located. Fortunately, this room has a "smurf" tube that runs through the ceiling to a storage room where my internet modem/router is located, as well as the planned location of the Hopper 3. All of the RG6 from the other locations in the house are routed to this room--So yes, it is basically just installing a run from the dish to the Hopper 3. I just would prefer to be the one who cuts the hole in the ceiling and access the surf tube. At that point, it does not seem to be big deal for me to run the RG6--Ideally, all the installer would have to do is put up the dish and make the final terminations/connections...

I do not plan to integrate the Tivos in the dish system (other than leave them connected to the home network so that my wife can access all of her recordings). Regarding the MoCA--I was just curious as to whether it was a closed system within the Dish equipment or connected to my home network. I have on TV that does not get a lot of use, so it does not make sense to pay for a Joey. I would like to connect one Tivo to it, as well as an Apple TV--both of which would need to use MoCA--I would actually prefer that they would be totally separate from the Dish MoCA, but if not would they be compatible?

Thanks!

If knowledgeable support is important to you, you need to slow down and make sure you're making the right decision. Based on my experience (and the next post will disagree, detailing how Dish personally shows up and changes the channel for them, makes them tea, and tucks them into bed) Dish had great service in the past and has moved away from that. You're under contract, so screw you. If there's any doubt in your mind, let me ask you...how many calls was that so far? And what was the result as a prospective new customer, a quick and courteous answer?
I hear you---Tivo had excellent service in the past also...

Good questions! First off, nix the 4K Joey. It doesn't support HDR and there's very, very little 4K programming. The $50 they charge isn't worth it.

The Hopper is all you need to connect to your network and it will share the connection via MoCA over coax and you won't need the adapter for your TV. And you're close but off on the Hub. You need a Solo Hub. Host to the Hopper and the 2 client ports to each Joey.

I can't answer your Multi-view question, but someone on here will. I never used it when I had my Hopper 3
Good point regarding the 4K Joey--I assume I could always upgrade at a later date.

I've had Dish for 20+ years and overall haven't had any bad experiences. Yes, like someone mentioned channels get dropped for carriage disputes but that will happen with anything unless you're getting it from an OTA antenna. The people that schedule installs aren't techs so they don't know. As for DIY installs I've done that too. There's plenty of wiring diagrams online with all different configurations.
Yep--I have studied the diagrams and I think I have a basic grasp, or at least enough knowledge to know what questions to ask.

Regarding the MoCA--I was just curious as to whether it was a closed system within the Dish equipment or connected to my home network. I have on TV that does not get a lot of use, so it does not make sense to pay for a Joey. I would like to connect one Tivo to it, as well as an Apple TV--both of which would need to use MoCA--I would actually prefer that they would be totally separate from the Dish MoCA, but if not would they be compatible?
I think Dish's MoCA does its own thing. I do not believe it can share a wire with your Actiontec adapters. Not sure if it is still an option, but you used to be able to use the Dish Anywhere app on the inexpensive Amazon Firestick to watch content on less-used TVs. Essentially, it is like a free (as in no monthly fee) Joey.

You need to select the option for technical support..they can usually answer questions...the garden variety $8 american CSR is just as bad as the ones over seas
Agree--It is a roll of the dice... I had thought about selecting technical support, but I think they needed an account number? I will give it another try.

Much like switching from Mac to PC and wondering if current monitor cables will work or not, it is an entirely valid question. Obviously nobody is asking if one can use a TiVo with Dish. The way moca works, a filter is recommended so signal does not leak out onto the cable system. Not a concern with satellite, but one can understand the question. Well, except Dish apparently.
Yes--We have a lot invested in our Tivo equipment, combined with the fact that my wife hates change (and is technically challenged). I just want to make the switch go as smoothly as possible. Were it not for the fact that I am constantly dealing with two different companies (Spectrum and Tivo), we would probably stay put. However, I can't tell you how many times I have been told by Spectrum reps that I have a dying technology and that everything is now stored in the cloud...

To attempt to answer the question, to the best of my knowledge Dish uses MoCA internally only, so the Joey(s) and Hopper can communicate, not to interact with your LAN. The Hopper will still want an Ethernet or wireless connection. While a Joey "can" connect via ethernet, it is not recommended and most likely the first thing Dish will blame if anything goes wrong. Much like Spectrum's first question is "do you have a third-party router connected?". Dish's first tool is to make sure you are using the connection they want, and if you aren't, that's likely your problem. It could be a clear video issue and they would suggest connecting everything "correctly" first.
This is great! That was one of my primary questions---but I thought it was too stupid to ask. I would prefer the Dish system to not interact with my LAN. I would prefer that the Joeys connect via coax.

Cost is higher than competitors?? Having had Dish, Direct and Comcast within a 6 yr period, I can emphatically state this is wrong. Now, if you don't call Dish when your contract expires and the price goes up to renegotiate a lower price - something both Direct and Comcast refused to do, then you're the one to blame for paying higher bills
I used to be able to call and renegotiate a lower price with Charter, but that came to an end when it became Charter/Spectrum. It is good to know that we still have that option with Dish.

Reactions: HipKat
I think Dish's MoCA does its own thing. I do not believe it can share a wire with your Actiontec adapters. Not sure if it is still an option, but you used to be able to use the Dish Anywhere app on the inexpensive Amazon Firestick to watch content on less-used TVs. Essentially, it is like a free (as in no monthly fee) Joey.
I have looked into that, and as far as I am able to ascertain, it is still an option (although for just one TV at a time). We have several less-used TVs that do not make any sense to pay a monthly fee for a Joey. One plus for the Tivo system is that you pay a one time charge for a Mini that lets you access the primary tuner/s.

Why would anyone call a salesperson to ask technical questions and then complain when they don't know what you're talking about. Would you go to a used car lot and ask a salesman how to replace the u-joints in your driveshaft? A little common sense goes a long way; if you have technical questions, talk to a tech.

Reactions: Poorsha
Why would anyone call a salesperson to ask technical questions and then complain when they don't know what you're talking about. Would you go to a used car lot and ask a salesman how to replace the u-joints in your driveshaft? A little common sense goes a long way; if you have technical questions, talk to a tech.
Salesdrones should have at least a basic knowledge of what they are peddling. But I suppose that concept died when companies stopped hiring TECHS with a basic knowledge. If it ain't on the script, forget it. And the interface has been updated but the script hasn't...

Reactions: jannah and bs0755
Salesdrones should have at least a basic knowledge of what they are peddling. But I suppose that concept died when companies stopped hiring TECHS with a basic knowledge. If it ain't on the script, forget it. And the interface has been updated but the script hasn't...
I agree with you, to a point. I've had Sales experience (And still do,m really, with Dish) and have always wanted to know my product inside and out, not just to be able to answer questions and explain benefits, but to use against "competitive" items. Dish salespeople though are cubicle sitters or more like order takers filling in forms with data you provide and letting the system determine the best option in it's limited programmed opinion

We have several less-used TVs that do not make any sense to pay a monthly fee for a Joey.
I have multiple less-used TVs. I purchased a few 4K Joeys for as low as 35 bucks. When I want to use them, I log in to mydish and in 30 seconds, I re-activate them. The next day or whenever, I deactivate them. The billing is prorated to reflect the one or two days (say 2/30*$5.00 = 33 cents) of use for that month. I don't worry about shoveling monthly lease fees over to Dish for occasional use TVs. Same story for the purchased Wally used in the camper...I only activate it and have any charges associated with it when I need it.

Also, regarding 4K Joey and the supposed importance of HDR...I reported in another thread that my 4kJ caused my 4K TV to light up its HDR notification when starting a particular movie on the Amazon app on the 4kJ. So it appears to be capable of delivering HDR to a TV.
If it does not do this for Dish programming delivered from the Hopper 3, I really don't care. But if I want to sample a game in 4K on channel 540 on a second TV, I can do it.

This is great! That was one of my primary questions---but I thought it was too stupid to ask. I would prefer the Dish system to not interact with my LAN. I would prefer that the Joeys connect via coax.
Well, the Dish system will still interact with your LAN. I haven't done a bunch of packet sniffing, but all my Dish devices get an IP address from my LAN. I'm not an expert on Moca but it seems to me a lot of it is IP based. So, the Moca network really seems to just be an extension of the IP network in some respects across coax, with the Hopper acting as a hub/switch.

Reactions: TheKrell
Only my Hopper 3 gets an IP from my router, the Joey 3.0 does not appear on my routers connected devices.