Considering TWC...have questions need answers

HDwonderer said:
The box I had installed on the 28th of April did work. However there are 3 different cables for DVI. One is unique to TW's box. At 80-90 a cable just go with the component wires. I looked at the two views side by side and I would have to say after several people looked at it the component had an edge.
-scott

Very good to hear that they enabled that port, as DVI cables can sell for more than 80-90 dollars! Of note, TWC offers a box with an HDMI port that is active. A DVI to HDMI adapter is not very expensive. (Monster's can be 15-20 bucks if you shop online, your DVI cable won't go to waste).

hall said:
The HD-DVR from Time Warner will be either the SA 8000HD or the newer 8300HD. The 3xxx models you mention are NOT DVRs, they're just HD set-tops.

I assume you're referring to this page, http://www.timewarnercable.com/waco/products/cable/hddvr.html . If so, it's wrong.

Yes, thats the page I was referring to. They didn't have anything on their site that mentioned the 8000 or 8300. I also checked their Austin and other sites in TX - they all have different menus.

Anyways, I got the installation done yesterday. I got the 8300. Initially, there was no video and we tried all cables I had and the installer had with him, but still nothing. Then he's like "Oh you have RR too, right?" "Yes" "I forgot to remove the trap that blocks video through your line." :) A few minutes later and we got video too.

About PQ - HD is awesome on TWC on my TV (Sony KDF-55WF655) and SD on the channels I have seen so far (Biography, TMC to name a few) are on par with Voom. I guess I have a good line coming in to my apt. The menu system does leave a lot to be desired, however.

Currently, the 8300 is connected to my TV with the component cables that came with Voom. I might buy the Monster HDMI-DVI adapter so I can use the DVI-HDMI cable with the 8300 (it does not have DVI out, only HDMI out).

Thanks for all the help. Cheers.

Guys I have the horror story of all stories dealing with my install. I was scheduled for install on last Monday to do the cable install. The installer showed up and said that the job running cable for 5 tv's would take to long and he didn't won't to rush because he knew I wanted a good job so he asked if I would mind if the install was moved to Wednesday I said no I could live with that. The installer comes on Wednesday takes a look at what has to be done ask if I mind if he comes back to my job because it is time consuming and he has some small jobs to do...I say no I don't mind well he never comes back. So that evening I called and told them I want both my install cable and road runner upgrade done by Thursday or I would go with satelite. They have everything set up for Thursday before noon the guy calls and says he is on his way he gets goes under the house and says he saw a group of snakes and shows me a little one in a plastic water bottle he caught and there policy is that they don't install until the snakes are removed. My house is modular on a concrete pad with brick foundation. I check all the vent areas and there is no holes anywhere so I call the manager over installations in the Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Durham area he send a guy out late that night. It was two guys that came out they check under my house no snakes anywhere a few cobwebs thats all....they start my install get all the wiring done hook up the recievers and call for the hit but nothing happens. With all the cable runs he tells me he needs to add some amps and run rg-11 cable from the pole. Well he finally got all of that done and the hd picture looks just as good voom the sd channels are pretty good some are bad but I haven't watched enough yet to make a final judgemnet. I haven't even used my dvr yet so I have some getting used to the new channels and channel numbers. I have the 8000hd dvr so I'm going to see how it works out if it doesn't then I'll try and switch to the HD8300dvr...

TW told me my first 6 months was going to be $65. I went from Voom to TWC .. got my first bill today ... $316. they charged me for signal amplifiers, all kinds of hidden charges. SAME OLD TWC. I have 4 TV's 2 - Hi Def's .. TW's hi def is very poor compared to Voom. there is a lot of satellite fade with no satellite and not only that. i recorded 5 hours worth of programming on the DVR and it told me the space was 100% used. I rebooted, it cleared, but then 2 days later the same thing. the boxes are just crap.

I just called E* and am switching, first install date i could get was 2 weeks, because they have to send me a 942 hd dvr receiver.

aspanjer said:
TW told me my first 6 months was going to be $65. I went from Voom to TWC .. got my first bill today ... $316. they charged me for signal amplifiers, all kinds of hidden charges. SAME OLD TWC. I have 4 TV's 2 - Hi Def's .. TW's hi def is very poor compared to Voom. there is a lot of satellite fade with no satellite and not only that. i recorded 5 hours worth of programming on the DVR and it told me the space was 100% used. I rebooted, it cleared, but then 2 days later the same thing. the boxes are just crap./QUOTE]

Interesting... I've never once been billed for anything "extra" they've had to install. Also, the DVRs I've used have worked quite well. The HDTV here in North Carolina is fantastic.

I have had TWC for about 3 weeks now. The HD DVR is great and easy to use. However, there are just not enough HD channels. I really miss Monsters, World Cinema, FU and Universal HD. Overall, the PQ is a mixed bag. The lower local channels are very inconsistent, sometimes watchable, sometimes really terrible with snow and squiggly lines all over the place. The local HD channels are pretty good but not nearly as clear as the pic from the Voom box. HDNet however is fantastic and the best and most consistently stunning HD channel, even better than the Voom originals. I will probably wait until Dish gets all of the Voom Originals before I go back to satellite.

So the TW DVR does have hdmi? I can not imagine that the quality on component could compete with DVI/HDMI. It sure couldnt on Voom! And HdWonderer, if you are implying TW has a special DVI cable, I highly doubt it. The three types are DVI-D (single and dual link) and DVI analog. Both DVI-D should work.

well just to let everyone know about my tw experience. It has been great up until about a week ago, and since then, I have 2-5 hd channels that wont work. I have pixalation on the other channels. My on demand works about 3 times and then dosent, have had time warner out 2 times, both time they say everything is working like it should!?!?!?!?!? well the wife and I are feed up something needs to change

Quick fix

stuart628 said:
I have pixalation on the other channels. My on demand works about 3 times and then dosent

Yep, you've got a weak signal, friend. I know that working with Time Warner can be really frustrating, but here's what you need to do. You need to tell them that you need your signal amplified, and demand that they send a TIME WARNER guy to do it, as opposed to a sub-contractor that you'd get any other time. What you describe is textbook low-amplification.

a&m 350z said:
So the TW DVR does have hdmi? I can not imagine that the quality on component could compete with DVI/HDMI. It sure couldnt on Voom! And HdWonderer, if you are implying TW has a special DVI cable, I highly doubt it. The three types are DVI-D (single and dual link) and DVI analog. Both DVI-D should work.

ONE of TW's DVRs has HDMI, the 8300. The 8100 sports an inactive DVI port. For anyone thinking that component is better, you can go on thinking that, but Mr. 350 here is right on the money. The digital input / output ports will ALWAYS BE BETTER. You might not see the difference, and that's fine too. TW does not offer a special DVI cable. They don't offer squat diddly in regards to DVI.

optimusprime said:
Yep, you've got a weak signal, friend. I know that working with Time Warner can be really frustrating, but here's what you need to do. You need to tell them that you need your signal amplified, and demand that they send a TIME WARNER guy to do it, as opposed to a sub-contractor that you'd get any other time. What you describe is textbook low-amplification.

I have had two time warner techs out, well no one sub contractor, then a actual time warner tech, both times they pull up pull out their signal meters, pop them on, check all lines, say its working and roll out, I knew I had bad signal, nothing has changed inside my house, after invesigating for a while I found my neighbors have no guide data every once in a while, and they lose their on demand stations, the other neighbor has directv, so cant ask them. Well my wife asked for us to leave time warner, we are heading to Dish, I have a install this sat! if you can get your time warner to work it is a really nice setup, alittle expensive, but nice I love their HD, and will miss the HD locals, but hopefully Dish will have a announcement soon!

stuart628 said:
we are heading to Dish, I have a install this sat!

I'll switch to dish when they tell me I can use my existing voom dish and voom STBs and setup that I can do myself. Oh yea, and when they offer HD comprable to Time Warner (quality) and a multi-room DVR.

well The HD is very comparable to Time warner, and they have a multi room dvr, several in fact, also you will not be able to use your stb, but the dish is still goodthey have great great offers for new customers right now, come in adn enjoy give it a try it, I love dishs service

Granted, but...

stuart628 said:
well The HD is very comparable to Time warner, and they have a multi room dvr, several in fact, also you will not be able to use your stb, but the dish is still goodthey have great great offers for new customers right now, come in adn enjoy give it a try it, I love dishs service

Well howabout this then... I'll wait until they switch to MPEG-4 ; )

would never try to sway anyones opinnion, Cable is different in different areas, I use to live about 5 minutes from where I live at now and cable was Perfect out there, now, not so good, thats why the switch to dish, I hope your system does work, if not, and the mpeg4 transition goes smoothly, I will await you in the dish network forum :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts