Considering upgrade - backup question

RicknTX

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
Helotes, TX
Hi,

I was trying to search through the forums here, but didn't find an exact match to my question...

I am considering an upgrade to the H3, but I obviously want to backup my recordings before I do. I've seen that many have seen success with restores which is great!

I have a Hopper with the sling external adapter (USB) and then I also have a HwS upstairs and 3 Joey 1.0s.

With the H3, we can replace all of that and just have the single H3 in place. To backup the recordings from both Hoppers, do I need two separate EHDs or could I do the backup of the Hoppers over a single EHD by moving it from one Hopper to the next once the backups are completed on the first Hopper? The EHDs are cheap enough these days, but if I can simply purchase one and backup each one to a single EHD, that would be great too...

Just curious as I position things for the upgrade.

I have already backed up my timers to the remotes as a test and that went well.

Thanks in advance!!!

You should be able to buy one 2TB, powered EHD that you can transfer recordings from both Hoppers onto.

Thanks for the quick reply.. So, when I move from one Hopper to next to back them both up to one drive, it should just work then? I read some place here that when you plug in the drive to another Hopper/DVR it asks if you want to restore them (or 'make them work') to the receiver? Do I just say no to that question and backup the 2nd DVR onto that same EHD?

Just incase you may have missed it, you can only restore your timers from one of the remotes so make sure you write the the one down from the other Hopper.
Great catch... I didn't think about that... I'll have to see which one has the least and backup the one with the most :)

I have a Hopper with the sling external adapter (USB) and then I also have a HwS upstairs and 3 Joey 1.0s.

Nothing beats 16 tuners but be aware you will be restricted to just one Dish Anywhere use after upgrading. The sling adapter will be useless.

Reactions: RicknTX
You should be able to buy one 2TB, powered EHD that you can transfer recordings from both Hoppers onto.

I went by Office Depot here locally today and saw they only had 3TB as the smallest in the powered drives.. I picked up a WD My Book 3TB for $104 on sale. Plugged it into the first HwS and it formatted it down to 2TB of course and it is transferring videos now. Did a small batch and it went well, now I'm going to do the bigger batch of them.

Thanks for your help.. just waiting to hear back from DIRT now on the upgrade options.

Reactions: Scherrman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts