Constant 002 on just 1 receiver.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dimitriz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
Hi,

Over the last 2 month I started running into a weird issue. Is it progressively getting worse.

I have 2 receivers that I am testing this out with, a Vip211 and Vip722K (before last Friday Vip622).
My setup is a Dish 500 (? not 100% sure) and then DPP44 (without the power adapter!).

The real problem is when I am watching anything that has previously been recorded to the Vip722K. Lets say for testing purpose I set both TVs to the same channel. (doesn't matter local or Dish one), then on the DVR I start watching anything that has been recoded. At that point literally every 5minutes my Vip722K will bring up error 002 (lost signal).

The error would be for the channel that both TVs were set to before I started watching DVR show and Vip211 would show that channel without interruption.
Error would be truly random like:

Ch: Sat: Transp:
126 110 3
112 129 17
105 110 7
9492 129 27
740 none 20
129 129 27
etc.. truly random.

Also I can even start recording the channel that I set both tvs to and then start watching DRV on Vip722k, the 002 error will come up for the channel that is being recorded and later whatever you recorded has absolutely nothing missing.

Last Friday the tech came out and we replaced the 622 as everything was pointing to the problem with it. Now with 722... same stuff....
Cant even watch a DVRd movie as I have to constantly hit Guide and Cancel to get back to the movie when the 002 pops up.

Today I learned from a Dish lev.2 tech that I am supposed to have a power adapter with my DPP44, I searched and found none. What are the chances that my setup worked fine for almost a year. ???

Thanks

that makes no sense. are you saying the error pops up only while you are watching recordings?
the dvr doesnt even have to be hooked up to the sattellite to watch recordings.
let me ask this, is your 722 to one tv only?
i can only venture to guess that maybe...the tuner 1 is bad and tuner 2 is good. possibly a bad seperator. the tech may have used your old one while installing the new receiver.

edit: yes, you should have a power adapter. and yes, sometimes systems work without one. but i still have no idea why that would cause an error 002 while watching recordings.

A DPP44 switch connected to a DPP LNB will definitely overload the receiver connected to port 1. A DP LNB may work but you're just asking for trouble by not using the power inserter. Popalittle has the right idea.

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies.
Here is some additional info.
I have international programing so I have 4 satellites I need to connect to.
Overall I have 4 receivers also, with only 2 hooked up at the moment.

The error pops up about 70% of the time when watching recoded shows and 30% of the time when watching live TV. (This could be to the fact that we primary watch DRVed shows).

About last spring (if I remember correctly), I had to upgrade my Dish from 2 to 1 at that time they removed my DPP34(?) switch and placed the DPP44 in. As far as I know they never installed the power inserter.

The tech didn't replace the separator when we switched from 622 to 722. I asked him about it and he said that it wouldn't cause a problem like that. Dunno, should I get it replaced? It's worth a try I guess. :)

The 722 is set to 1TV mode, however I do have an 4x4 HDMI matrix... but I double that would cause a problem like that.

I actually have a tech coming out in a few hours so I am going to try troubleshoot with him a bit.

Thanks!

Have you got OTA connected to the 722??? Make sure that tuner is on a strong channel. If multipath or cochanneling happens you'll get the same thing... even while watching a DVR'd program... makes no sense, but I've seen this & it's always been my OTA causing it!!!

Have you got OTA connected to the 722??? Make sure that tuner is on a strong channel. If multipath or cochanneling happens you'll get the same thing... even while watching a DVR'd program... makes no sense, but I've seen this & it's always been my OTA causing it!!!

+1!
Had this happen to me in the past. Didn't believe it at 1st but it WAS being caused by an erratic OTA signal. It can do it on live Dish programming as well as recorded shows. If you have OTA connected I'd STRONGLY suspect that is the problem, especially if your OTA is effected by high wind, etc. as mine is at times.
Good luck!

Ed

Very interesting, I do have OTA, a big 25' tower outside.
My local channels show up fairly good.., from 70 to 100 range.
BTW, Vip211 is also connected to the same OTA source. Shouldn't it experience the same problems?

Thanks

From what i understand, it's a software issue, which i think is different on the 211... 70 is a little low for my OTA, it will cause it to start doing it... could be cochannel too (2nd channel coming in on your local's frequency). Pick a nice solid one and give it a try :)

Alrighty....
I think I got it working!
As a test I went through my OTA channels and removed everything that was under 70 (I have a total like 40+ OTA's). Then I let it play a movie for 2 hours and havent seen the error message since.!
Also I talked to 2 tech guys that came out and they were a bit puzzled but at least they were more understanding of the problem than the last guy.
They scanned for the power inserter and found none. So we installed a new one.
As far as Sat. signal the said that I had the BEST signal they ever saw for each of the sats.

So, in other words... I am going to let it run for a week and if 002 doesn't come back then I will start adding some other OTA's one by one until I see which one was causing the problem.

...and to think that I believed a 30' tower would be enough, lol.
Just might have to raise it to clear the roof a bit more. Stupid associations! lol

Thanks guys for all the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)