Constant lockups, still. WTF?!

joebob2

Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
I have the latest software and every time I attempt to use voom it dies. Things were much better for me before the software updates. I've tried restting the box (sometimes 4 times in an evening). I've pulled the plug and I've hit it with my head. Nothing seems to work.

What are the odds that it is a bad box? Does getting the box replaced solve any problems? I really don't want to miss work and get the same problems again.

At this point voom is useless to me and my wife refuses to use it - which means if I don't get it fixed it is going bye-bye.

I'm no expert, but it sure sounds like a bad box. I'd certainly have it replaced before I just went and cancelled. Good luck - maybe some of the experts around here have some ideas.

joebob2 said:
I have the latest software and every time I attempt to use voom it dies.
Please describe what you mean by "dies". Does it lock up so you cannot change channels, or does the picture break up? Does it happen when you switch channels, or while you are watching a program? Do you get stable signal levels? Sounds like a bad box, but if you give us additional details we might be able to help you in troubleshooting.

Ilya said:
Please describe what you mean by "dies". Does it lock up so you cannot change channels
yes

, or does the picture break up?
no
Does it happen when you switch channels
yes
, or while you are watching a program?
no
Do you get stable signal levels?
Yes. However, I have noticed that the voom box can no longer successfully pick up my cbs station, which is about 10 miles away. I have no problem picking this station up using my samsung tuner and the same antenna.

it is the box i am sure call for service call and tell them you need a new box due to so many lock ups.

Does this happen mostly when you switch between OTA channels? Or satellite?
Do you switch channels very quickly (2-3 channels per second)?

I'm grateful to be somewhat slow-witted and slow-thumbed. No lockups of any type for a very long time. In fact--I can only remember 1 time, and I did it myself.

I too had daily (3-4) lockups with the new software (rarely before). Turns out I had changed my box to 'Native' mode concurrent with the upgrade. I changed it back to 1080i and the lockups went away. "Beware the little red button"!

YMMV - HTH
Jeff

Ilya said:
Does this happen mostly when you switch between OTA channels? Or satellite?
Do you switch channels very quickly (2-3 channels per second)?
Doesn't matter if it is OTA or SAT. Also, when it locks I don't get to change more than one channel, let alone 2-3cps!

Also, using the guide results in a lockup of one form or another every single time I use it. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, it will simply get stuck for about 60 secs, and then it will respond to one or two commands before freezing for another 60secs. Great software.

jstrait said:
I too had daily (3-4) lockups with the new software (rarely before). Turns out I had changed my box to 'Native' mode concurrent with the upgrade. I changed it back to 1080i and the lockups went away. "Beware the little red button"!

YMMV - HTH
Jeff

Is "Native" the default aftert a hard reboot? I've done pulled the plug numerous times :)

Does sound like a bad box to me!

Here is my tip. This makes my box much more stable (yes it's all relative).

After the power cycle reboot. Hide away the remote for half an hour. Do not press ANY button on the remote (not even to make the initial menu go away). After the 30 minutes, then change channels and view as normal.

CAn a non activated voom receiver still get off air channels?

Voom Satellite Is Down?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)