Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
If you are getting frequent lockups since the latest 7.26 software update, try disconnecting the STB from the phone line.

As reported by Couch Patato, these frequent lockups might be somehow related to the new Caller ID feature. Disconnecting from the phone line might work as a temporary solution until the problem is fixed.

Couch Patato said:
I've had mine freeze up every 3rd day it seems untill today. It froze up twice within 5 hours. The times it has locked up, the box has been on locals & sat so I don't think a signal level matters. The local I was on tonight has a signal level of 95% & the weekest local I get is 89%. My sat is always at 97%.

At first I thought that having the caller ID activated might have something to do with the lockups but for the last 5 days I have left it off. I'm going to try something else now that I think about it. I'm going to unplug the phone line & see if I get a lockup. I got quite a few phone calls today. You would think it would not have anything to di with it but hey! It's a damn computer right?
Couch Patato said:
Well it has been four full days since I unpluged the phone line on my living roon reciever. Guess what? NO LOCKUP! Now get this. I didn't say this before but will now. Ever since the update, my bedroom reciever never locked up. It too was & still is pluged into the phone line. Within 2 houres after unpluging my phone line on the living room reciever the bedroom STB locked up. It has since locked up two more times. FYI:The living room jack is the first in line of the two jacks. I am now quite convinced that caller ID being activated with in the firmware has something major to do with the lockups. Simply put. The STB is locking up because of the votage a call delivers into the STB or something along those lines. If I'm right & your tired of the lockups then you know what to do until they get a new update out.:)
smodak said:
Here is how I fixed it...

1. Turned the box off and unplugged.
  2. DISCONNECTed the phone cord
  3. Plugged-in and re-started the box
  4. Made sure caller id is off
Can't say that this is going to work for you but I think it is worth a try. I think, it is the phone line... Something gets screwed when an incoming call comes (even if caller id is turned off):yes
Couch Patato said:
7 days now without a lockup!!!! :)
For further information on this issue, please check the following thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=248300

Ilya said:
If you are getting frequent lockups since the latest 7.26 software update, try disconnecting the STB from the phone line.

As reported by Couch Patato, these frequent lockups might be somehow related to the new Caller ID feature. Disconnecting from the phone line might work as a temporary solution until the problem is fixed.

For further information on this issue, please check the following thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=248300
and this one :)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=249417

dsmit25 said:
i have a sony widescreen hd tv.which resolution should i choose
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Damn I liked the Caller ID feature but I was getting so pissed off with the random lockups... sigh... I am almost willing to do a reboot every other day than give up my caller id :(

dsmit25 said:
i have a sony widescreen hd tv.which resolution should i choose

My personal favorite is 2160P, but nobody supplies content, so I have settled on 1080P. Of course, with my Voom STB the highest resolution it supports is 1080i, so I am using that for now.

Really this question has nothing to do with this thread, however.

tdillon said:
My personal favorite is 2160P, but nobody supplies content, so I have settled on 1080P. Of course, with my Voom STB the highest resolution it supports is 1080i, so I am using that for now.

Really this question has nothing to do with this thread, however.

Unless he's trying to set the resolution of the CallerID, in which case I'd say use the Zaph DingBats font at 1080p.

Use the round high speed DSL phone line with a DSL microfilter.....and hopefully that
would limit frequent lockups to a minimum plus your caller ID function will now work.

YOU'RE WELCOME...........

Jahbig said:
Use the round high speed DSL phone line with a DSL microfilter.....and hopefully that
would limit frequent lockups to a minimum plus your caller ID function will now work.

YOU'RE WELCOME...........
Mine was connected that way (with Verizon supplied DSL filters) but it still locked up. Of course, the other users should still try them and see whether it works.
Good Luck!

Well I hooked up all my Voom equipment 2 days ago since they never came and got it. My box updated to 7.26. I did not attatch the phone line and I still got 3 lockups since the new software. My last reboot was 5 hours ago and I still don't have a program guide. ARGH!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if VOOM is ever going to come out with a fix and/or new software for the Caller ID. I would like to use my Caller ID again, but I cannot due to the lockups.

They are now doing beta testing for a fix. I can't tell you when it will be available for everyone though. I think they are close to having it fixed though.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)