Contestants - I think it would be nice if ...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
Contestants - I think it would be nice if ...

I know there is no rule about this , but I would love to see the contestants be a little more active in the forum.

Nothing wrong with lurking and reading the threads , as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure I registered weeks before I made my 1st post.

I find members interesting and I would like to know more about their FTA experience or even inexperience , after all this is a learning forum and I'm more than eager to welcome any new member and help them get started with FTA.

Just my 2 cents ................

I love the contests being offered by our great sponsors , just wish that new members would be a little more animated in discussing FTA Satellite.

I think it would be real beneficial for new members who are entering contest to ask questions about FTA , or if they are up to date on the hobby to talk about what they know about FTA , once new members know more about the hobby they can benefit from the Dishes , motors , Lnb's , and other hardware being sold by our sponsors , after all not all newbies will be winners and hopefully we can get some more people interested in this great hobby.

Sometimes I feel like I'm talking out of my @ss .....................

Anyone have any ideas or comments .........

it is true, however, like lots of member including myself only when nobody else have an inmediately answer will respond.

A lot of folks entering the contest to win FTA equipment don't have FTA setups yet (which is why they want to win and is why they are not active in the FTA forum) :D

I can see both sides but ,

even though i enter the contest , i actually have more FTA equipment to keep me busy for a while so , i actually don't mind seeing a new guy win. I also like to see someone who post regularly win.....

I love the contests being offered by our great sponsors , just wish that new members would be a little more animated in discussing FTA Satellite.

I think it would be real beneficial for new members who are entering contest to ask questions about FTA , or if they are up to date on the hobby to talk about what they know about FTA , once new members know more about the hobby they can benefit from the Dishes , motors , Lnb's , and other hardware being sold by our sponsors , after all not all newbies will be winners and hopefully we can get some more people interested in this great hobby.

I think many are just here because it says something for "free".
Couple of months back, I brought up a suggestion that people should be registered as members prior to any contest, to weed out opportunists.
But, was unanimously shouted down.

BINGO!

Couple of months back, I brought up a suggestion that people should be registered as members prior to any contest, to weed out opportunists.

And that is a crying shame. Opportunists ruin it for all. I would not be opposed to a post requirement, also, to add to your registration edict. :cool:

You do have to be registered as a member to enter or you can't post. :)

A lot of folks entering the contest to win FTA equipment don't have FTA setups yet (which is why they want to win and is why they are not active in the FTA forum) :D

I just hope they come back to the forum and ask for help when it comes time to setting up their new FTA system.

Hopefully they're well read ( as in reading the threads in the FTA section )
It be a shame if they're living in a Condo facing North and have no Idea what LOS is ?????? :confused:

i actually don't mind seeing a new guy win. I also like to see someone who post regularly win.....
I agree whole heartedly , in fact and I have thought of this .....
New members especially those entering contests for their first post may even be referrals .....
many of us have friends who have not been bit by the FTA bug and it's very possible that new members include many of our friends and family .....

It is a thought ...... how else is it that people are finding these great giveaways ?

I just hope they're not opportunist and know what FTA is , most of all I hope they get to truly enjoy it once they win.

Scott hit it perfectly for my situation. I know I don't post much in general, but at this point in time I really don't have anything I could contribute to the FTA part of the board. I lurk around and read as much as I can so that when I do eventually get a system I should have some decent knowledge about how to get it up and going without too much trouble. Unfortunately my current finances don't allow me room to put out the money for a system.

Yes there may be some freeloaders just hoping to get something for nothing, but not all of us are just in it because of the fact that it's free stuff.

Shoot...I have a hard enough time explaining what FTA is to people in my own neighborhood, let alone newbies who actually ask an FTA question on this fourm.

I still consider myself a newbie compared to the talent found here.
My FTA system was working for almost a year before I found (this) a true FTA 'friendly' forum.

Now that I'm here, I have learned how to better fine tune my system thanks to the expert and friendly advice I've received.

My guess is that contestants will take the box and run. Maybe even get it 'fixed' somewhere else. After visiting several forums dedicated to fixing boxes, I came to the realization that true FTAers, like us, are a rare breed.

I could have lurked here for months without asking for help. But, I would not be watching the channels I can get in the clear now because of the minor problems I was having. It takes a hobby/experimenter type person to get involved with what we do.

Now that my system is working perfectly, do I need to return and help other newbies? It wouldn't hurt. I still need to know when birds take a dump or channels move around. It's all part of the hobby. Get some help, give some help (when it really helps).

I'll be helping when I can.

As Ice has said, we FTAers are an interesting group of people.

Okay, I'll beat this dead horse

Anole said:
Scott Greczkowski said:
You do have to be registered as a member to enter or you can't post. :)

Example:
If a contest starts on Monday, you can't register on Wednesday, and join that contest.

I said nothing about post count (which others seem to support , if only to get newbies to speak up).
They'd just post junk around the forum, if necessary.

AND, by my suggestion, if there were a subsequent contest, then this Wednesday-registering member would be ready to go.
Not much of a restriction, not much of a hindrance, just a minor deterrence to opportunists.

I did think this out before I posted it the first time. Maybe I was just unclear in my original wording.

= film at 11 =

I think that whomever is giving the gift, should make there own rules, per their contest. As long as the rules comply with forum rules. If I were the one promoting a prize from my store, I wouldn't like the contest to be Only for those with XX amount of post and have been being a member XX amount of months/weeks/days/or whatever.....? I would want everyone eligible to possibly get others interested in possibly buying something from my store....

If the supplier is after more exposure and new FTA sales, He wants new blood. If he is after supporting FTA AND repeat sales then the long timers reward is what will work best for him (IF this sales truism transfers from the "Other side" to the normal world of FTA Guys and Gals-- See "We FTAers are an Exceptional Bunch thread started by Iceberg!) If all you want is new blood, you will pick the newest to reward..... If you want to get old stock into hands of those who will experiment until it works!!! Then ..... NOIBN

I said nothing about post count (which others seem to support , if only to get newbies to speak up).
They'd just post junk around the forum, if necessary.

Yeah, if they were required to have a post count, it would increase spam posts considerably. Tough call, I agree with both sides of this topic. I guess the real challenge is how to strike a balance...

, I came to the realization that true FTAers, like us, are a rare breed. .

Not the case for most ethnic FTA users. There purpose for using an FTA system is to watch their ethnic FTA channels on Galaxy 25, G3c, AMC4, and more. Just set it up the 1st time and go. It is not a hobby for them, but a necessity. These ethnic users are actually in the 100s of thousands.

As far as contest entries, I don't see the requirement to have a minimum post count to participate. In fact, a contest might encourage someone to post instead of just lurking around. Besides, the selection is totally random and each entry has the same chance.

I know I do not post much. I do not know enough to answer any question. But I am every day reading new post trying to learn. I have a 6' prodelin dish setting on the ground I can not use right now. I have a Gbox 3000 positioner and a BSC-621-2 for it. but no money to buy a tall pole to put it on I tree problems. After a year at this I just got my 4' offset up at 123w. tried for two month could not find then read some more and found what I was doing wrong. It will be a month before I can get the audio working for retrojam but I know it will worth the wait. I enter the contest and yes it would nice to win but I do not hold breath.

sorry for the paragraph........

Its interesting that the people with the most posts, Scott and Voomvoom, are speaking up for giving everyone a chance. No one is going to want to set a post limit for less than the posts they currently have. Should they set the limit at 1000, 3000 or 4000 posts? I agree that it is ultimately up to the people giving away the equipment.

Anole makes a good point as well though. Maybe the contest entry shouldn't be their only post.

I know, only people who have exactly 71 posts should win . . . now 72 posts . . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts