Continue to use EHDs after service disconnect?

biaunm

Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
NM
I am thinking of owning a 722k (instead of continuing to lease from Dish Network). If I own my 722k and for some reason were to discontinue service with Dish Network, would I still be able to use it to watch and record OTA programming and watch the shows I currently have on external hard drives?

Nope. They're encrypted and would lose authorization upon account termination.

The internal drive would be accessable for a brief period of time, until the receiver itself loses authorization and becomes nearly useless.

I am thinking of owning a 722k (instead of continuing to lease from Dish Network). If I own my 722k and for some reason were to discontinue service with Dish Network, would I still be able to use it to watch and record OTA programming and watch the shows I currently have on external hard drives?

You could go down to the WELCOME package and still be able to use the dvr and ext drives.I believe the package is $15.00 A month I think.Someone correct me if Im wrong....:cool:

If you're in this situation (as am I, 9 EHDs and counting) then before terminating service, plan to spend a lot of time cataloging, purging and burning to DVD.

You could go down to the WELCOME package and still be able to use the dvr and ext drives.I believe the package is $15.00 A month I think.Someone correct me if Im wrong....:cool:

The Welcome Package is $14.99 plus any state and local tax, but your right it is great option if you are wanting to cut back on bills and still have TV.

Also, I have had the "K" box since they first came out and I am on like my 4th one. Sure wouldn't want to own one. In my case the hard drives seem to go bad, or have major glitches of some sort?

Not sure if you can DVR without a sub, but you'll get previews and the sales channels (for at least a while), but no OTA locals. I just tried getting OTA on my 211k and was told that I couldn't see them on my guide until I set up the receiver's HD functionality. I think the bottom line was that without the "parent" channel on Dish (say channel 4 is local, this would be 4-0), I can't see the OTA versions (4-1 HD, 4-2 SD multicast in my case).

That stinks. We've got the VCR hooked up to the Dish and can't easily tape OTA right now.