Continuing larceny

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

downriver

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Horse Creek, CA
Whadayall think about all these dish dealers on the internet still selling the 942 for 600 bones without a disclaimer, not a word that they will be obsolete in two weeks.:confused:

downriver said:
Whadayall think about all these dish dealers on the internet still selling the 942 for 600 bones without a disclaimer, not a word that they will be obsolete in two weeks.:confused:
1) It will NOT be obsolete in two weeks

2) Its up to the consumer to do his research and make an informed buying decision BEFORE actually plopping down $700 on piece of hardware.

I agree a consumer should always be very aware of what they are spending their money on. Also if that were the case, almost every piece of electronics should carry that same warning. i.e. PCs, IPods, Cellphones etc etc etc

StevenD said:
1) It will NOT be obsolete in two weeks
2) Its up to the consumer to do his research and make an informed buying decision BEFORE actually plopping down $700 on piece of hardware.

It WILL be obsolete in two weeks and the average consumer does little to protect themselves from unethical and unscrupulous companies. Echostar should have pulled em' off the market after the announcement. Instead they are still selling them to a mostly uninformed and unsuspecting clientile.

The folks who bought these things did not suspect that they would soon be unable to receive new programming. In that respect it is different than PC upgrades, etc. Remember we are talking AFTER the announcement, amazingly two weeks AFTER Christmas.

I dunno, I'll bet Tony Soprano would be mighty pissed if Christopher hijacks a truck of 942's!! Now who would be the bigger crook here??

Last edited:
downriver said:
It WILL be obsolete in two weeks and the average consumer does little to protect themselves from unethical and unscrupulous companies. Echostar should have pulled em' off the market after the announcement. Instead they are still selling them to a mostly uninformed and unsuspecting clientile.

I'm not sure why people think these will be obsolete. If you have an 811 or a 942 and have HD programming you will still receive the programming that you are paying for. You will still get the HD Pak, you will still get the current VOOM offerings that you pay for. They only thing you will not be able to do is get the 5(?) new VOOM channels, plus ESPN2-HD and Universal HD, or your HD LiL's (which may not even be available for a year in some parts), which are channels that you have to upgrade to a new pricing structure anyway to get.

The point is they are perfectly good receivers that will continue to receive the programming that you are paying for. If the receivers do become obsolete, such as when a complete MPEG-4 changeover takes place, if you are still on a programming package commitment they will have to offer you a good deal, or face lawsuits.

downriver said:

The folks who bought these things did not suspect that they would soon be unable to receive new programming. In that respect it is different than PC upgrades, etc. Remember we are talking AFTER the announcement, amazingly two weeks AFTER Christmas.

I dunno, I'll bet Tony Soprano would be mighty pissed if Christopher hijacks a truck of 942's!! Now who would be the bigger crook here??

Did you buy one?

Like WeezKnight said, the MPEG4 transition will be a gradual one, so the 942 and all other current MPEG2 HD receivers will not become obsolete on Feb. 1st.

David

Is it still true that after Jan 31st, Dish will no longer activate these receivers? There may not be a problem as of now, but what about someone selling this item on Jan 30, by the time it is hooked up, you can't activate it.

BrianMis said:
Did you buy one?

Yes I bought one. But I purchased mine before the announcement and I bought it more for the dual tuner capability than the HD, though I admit the HD has sucked me in and now I am a little ticked that I won't be able to upgrade to HD network programming on 129 without MPEG4.

The 942 is the best receiver I've had that's manufactured by echostar, not counting the old c-band. I went through two 625's in two weeks. one hard drive failure and and the other with a toslink problem.

BUT that is not the question. The question is are Dish and it agents acting responsibly and ethically by continuing to sell 942's at this date, after the announcement, without a disclaimer?

I think not. I think Dish should purchase back the 942'S from it's reselling agents so they don't need to pawn them off on an unsuspecting public. $.02

Last edited:
downriver said:
Yes I bought one. But I purchased mine before the announcement and I bought it more for the dual tuner capability than the HD, though I admit the HD has sucked me in and now I am a little ticked that I won't be able to upgrade to HD network programming on 129 without MPEG4.
The 942 is the best receiver I've had that's manufatured by echostar, not counting the old c-band. I went through two 625's in two weeks. one hard drive failure and and the other with a toslink problem.

BUT that is not the question. The question is are Dish and it agents acting responsibly and ethically by continuing to sell 942's at this date, after the announcement, without a disclaimer?

I think not. I think Dish should purchase back the 942'S from it's reselling agents so they don't need to pawn them off on an unsuspecting public. $.02
Absolutely! However, E* is going to screw their retailers-->retailer is going to screw customers-->E* is going to screw both retailers and customers-->customer get screwed by both E* and retailer. :eek:

New customer signs up and can't understand why E* customers are so unhappy and retailers are looking to jump ship.:confused: