Controlling HD picture with UHF remote

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Had a bad experience with tech support today. The guy knew close to nothing and put me on hold about a gazillion times. All I wanted to know was how to control my HD output with the UHF remote. My HDTV in the kitchen has it's 622 in another room. I knew that it could be done since I have been doing it with another HDTV and 622 for over a year. He said that it was impossible to do.

I told him that I do not use any other TV with this 622 other than my HDTV in the kitchen.
SO after screwing around with him for over an hour of trying stuff I simply switched this receiver to single mode and voila! The UHF remote controls input 1 with the HDMI output. You tech savvy guys probably already know this but I may help someone else not waste a whole morning and afternoon trying to figure this out if they are wanting to do the same thing.

Tech support certainly didn't help.

I had the same issue with a recent customer's 622. Leaving the rec in single mode is the easiest solution. However, this customer wanted the ability to keep the 622 in dual mode. The rec is in a media closet so we must use UHF remotes for both TV1 and TV2

Tech support told me the same thing; it is not possible. But it is. You have to get a new tab/key for the TV1 remote. It says "UHF Pro" and is green instead of blue.

AFAIK, it is not possible to use two UHF remotes in dual mode with the blue keys. I have done this with a 522. It had an option in the menu to enable UHF support for TV1 but this is not available with the 622. They make you buy the green "UHF Pro" key.

I had the same issue with a recent customer's 622. Leaving the rec in single mode is the easiest solution. However, this customer wanted the ability to keep the 622 in dual mode. The rec is in a media closet so we must use UHF remotes for both TV1 and TV2

Tech support told me the same thing; it is not possible. But it is. You have to get a new tab/key for the TV1 remote. It says "UHF Pro" and is green instead of blue.

AFAIK, it is not possible to use two UHF remotes in dual mode with the blue keys. I have done this with a 522. It had an option in the menu to enable UHF support for TV1 but this is not available with the 622. They make you buy the green "UHF Pro" key.

When I ran into this problem I simply ordered a 6.3 UHF/IR Remote Kit (For All DISH DVRs) and inserted the green "UHF Pro" tab. At that point I had to read the little manual that came with it because the Vip622 doesn't display the shift function in its menu like our 625. It requires you to turn on your receiver and push the "SYSTEM INFO" button on the receiver itself. Then press record on your remote with the newly inserted "UHF Pro" tab. It automatically shifted to allow the UHF remote to operate TV1, plus the old IR remote still functioned within the same room as the receiver of course.

Are you saying that by simply inserting the new tab to remote one that it turns in to a UHF remote? I thought it was just an IR remote. Or are you saying to buy a new UHF remote then put the tab in it?

When I ran into this problem I simply ordered a 6.3 UHF/IR Remote Kit (For All DISH DVRs) and inserted the green "UHF Pro" tab. At that point I had to read the little manual that came with it because the Vip622 doesn't display the shift function in its menu like our 625. It requires you to turn on your receiver and push the "SYSTEM INFO" button on the receiver itself. Then press record on your remote with the newly inserted "UHF Pro" tab. It automatically shifted to allow the UHF remote to operate TV1, plus the old IR remote still functioned within the same room as the receiver of course.

Roy, this is great advice. Thanks. So many of us now have central locations for our receivers and that are far from the TVs.

Roy, this is great advice. Thanks. So many of us now have central locations for our receivers and that are far from the TVs.

To be honest after purchasing the new remote on line I simply installed the "UHF Pro" tab and couldn't get it to work. Then of course I read the little manual with the instructions and after following then it worked like a charm.

Perhaps the CSRs are supposed to say its not possible because its an unsupported conversion (whether they actually know about it or not)? If so I suppose Dish doesnt want to advocate it, especially for those who lease their equipment and arent supposed to fool around with it. Some other companies sometimes say you can do this or that but stress that any warranty will be voided.

Perhaps the CSRs are supposed to say its not possible because its an unsupported conversion (whether they actually know about it or not)? If so I suppose Dish doesnt want to advocate it, especially for those who lease their equipment and arent supposed to fool around with it. Some other companies sometimes say you can do this or that but stress that any warranty will be voided.

Believe me switching to UHF for TV1 is a very much supported feature, its just not listed in the menu like some of the other receivers. The minute you replace the green IR tab with the green 1UHF Pro tab and follow the instructions I posted earlier it shifts. At that point under "System Info", "Primary Remote Address" it reads "IR/UHF Pro Band A"

Just curious here as I've been following this thread.

If I never run my 622 in dual mode, but rather always run it in single mode, I can use the UHF remote for all aspects of my TV watching. Is that correct?

If that's NOT correct, and if I have to get the UHF key for the #1 remote, are those listed someplace on Dish's web site?

Again... I ONLY use the receiver in single mode. Never in dual.

Thanks.

Are you saying that by simply inserting the new tab to remote one that it turns in to a UHF remote? I thought it was just an IR remote. Or are you saying to buy a new UHF remote then put the tab in it?

You must have a UHF capable remote. If the remote is IR only, it will always be IR no matter what tab you place into it.

What I did is exactly what RoyW is suggesting. It was a 6.3 IR/UHF remote.

I am controlling mine remotely with a UHF remote.

They sent me a brand new additional remote, free of charge.

I have a 6.3 uhf/ir remote that I just removed the tab and used a needle to move the switch until it worked. I had to do this because many calls to tech support to try to get the correct tab and got no where so I tried this and it worked. I did end up cutting the tabs off of the current tab that was in there just for cosmetics so there was not a empty space at the bottom of the remote. The only problem with this type of mod is if the remote is dropped hard on the ground the switch seems to move. When I get around to it I may open up the remote and see if there is a way to make it more stable.

Just curious here as I've been following this thread.

If I never run my 622 in dual mode, but rather always run it in single mode, I can use the UHF remote for all aspects of my TV watching. Is that correct?

If that's NOT correct, and if I have to get the UHF key for the #1 remote, are those listed someplace on Dish's web site?

Again... I ONLY use the receiver in single mode. Never in dual.

Thanks.

If your using your Vip622 in single mode then of course your UHF remote already controls TV1 so it isn't a problem. What we are addressing here is folks that want to run their Vip622 in dual mode and be able to control TV1 with a UHF remote.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts