Controlling Joey from the Hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FireFighterHill

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Groveland Florida
Is it possible to change the channel or start and stop DVR playback on a joey in another room from the hopper? I ask because my 3 year old wants to watch recording which means I have to get up every 30 minutes and start another playback or change the channel.

You can get a second remote addressed to that Joey, get a modulator and run a coax from the modulator to the hopper TV. Put hopper TV on ch3 and you are now watching and controlling the Joey at the hopper.

A Playlist feature is what you want, and I wouldn't mind it either. TiVo has such a feature, or a crude one in it will play a folder's (name of show based only) contents starting with the oldest first one after the other with no action from the viewer. This is great when one may be bumping to another device or keeping the kiddies occupied requiring no action from dad every 30 minutes.

Dish looked like it was going to implement a "playlist" feature on the ViP 7XX. They even had the feature on the options on the DVR list. The speculation and excitement was high from some of us, but Dish later removed the "Playlist" feature button, and we haven't heard anything about it since. That would be a good feature for Dish to develop.

Right now with S213/S265 many people are having trouble getting Joeys to link to their Hoppers without a RBR (red button reboot,) much less controlling a Joey with a Hopper, heh.

Yeah, I know. I do wish Dish can get this going RIGHT! It seems our excitement about Hoppers seeing each other has been dampened. I'm all for Dish putting the Hopper/Joey working well with all features reliable as top of the list.

With these reports of problems since the update I've got the believe there could something else at play here. Perhaps the installs were flawed and now with the new features the updates provide it's showing up. :rolleyes:

I suppose it is possible with some that it is an install issue, however I've done all the wiring myself for my 3 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. The MoCA bars on all devices are 4 bars (anything less is unacceptable.) In the TESTS/COUNTERS menu all devices show 200+Mbps, which would indicate no wiring issues. Satellite signals are at the right levels on all 3 Hoppers, again indicating no wiring issues. All linking issues on my devices as of S213 and S265 are easily fixed with a simple reboot of each problem device. Then, after such, everything is jiffy until the next nightly reboot. Sometimes no devices have issues seeing each other, other times multiple devices have issues, other times only 1 has issues. Again when the issues occur all counters and status bars are where they should be. Technically the devices ARE in in fact seeing each other however there is a software issue in which they do not show up in the "Whole-Home" menu until a reboot.

Perhaps there is a chance that a few people have bad installs, but I believe a lot of those that say S213/S265 are causing issues, because I have personally experienced these issues. That being said, I am glad that a simple reboot will fix it, however it is annoying. At least it only happens after the nightly reboots. Once I reboot again, they have no problems whatsoever, until the nightly reboot. I have witnessed it myself, where I check the "Whole-Home" menu right before the nightly reboot, then it reboots after I tell it yes, then suddenly not all devices show up in the "Whole-Home" menu after that reboot. I then proceed to reboot it again, and what do you know, suddenly all devices are present again. Never had this issue with S212/S264, so that would lead me to believe that it is a software bug.

I have had two issues since the update. The first on was a rare occurrence when the receiver was on during the nightly update. In the morning the Hopper I use most (#1) could not see the one that was left on (#2) or the Joey #1 was connected to. That took a hard reboot to get things working. The other was weird, about 5pm Hopper #1 just froze......I've seen this before with the 922 but never with Hopper, 922 usually would unfreeze after a few seconds and move on, that did not happen but a soft reboot fixed it. Both issues happened within a couple of days of the update. Since then everything has worked very well.
What led me to my opinion about installs were the postings here and elsewhere of constant reboots, check switches, freezes, whatever....I have seen none of that on the levels some are reporting, I have the 213/265 update with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)