Conversion from analog to digital for 2009

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tracker1998

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
I have a question that I would need help with. I know it's a silly one for the ones who know but I am asking because I don't, and this is the place to ask without ridicule. I can't seem to find the info I need so here goes.
I was looking into purchasing a digital box for locals when the change over comes about in 2009, then it came to me, "I already have 2 of them !!". Now that was the funny part.
3 related questions, if I may ? What type of ant. do I need. Should it be mounted on a rotor/motor, what would the TP's be (or where could I find them) to bring the signals in?
I have the opportunity to get back to my "grass roots" programming ( I believe?) with local channels and would like to incorporate then into my daily programming if my CoolSat 5000 or NFusion is capable to do so. If not then a new box it is. Here in Canada the new boxes are not out yet and a local retailer tells me they will be $100.00 +
Thanks in advance for the help. Tracker.

I was looking into purchasing a digital box for locals when the change over comes about in 2009, then it came to me, "I already have 2 of them !!". Now that was the funny part.
unless there is a built in OTA tuner (like the Pansat 9200 & Coolsat 8000 have) the OTA is just pass through the analog channels

3 related questions, if I may ? What type of ant. do I need.
any antenna works depending on what stations you need to pick up. In major metro areas, an indoor antenna works fine

Should it be mounted on a rotor/motor,
again it depends. If all the local stations are in one area you do not need a rotor.

what would the TP's be (or where could I find them) to bring the signals in?
huh? scratching my head on this one. I think you're confused.

I have the opportunity to get back to my "grass roots" programming ( I believe?) with local channels and would like to incorporate then into my daily programming if my CoolSat 5000 or NFusion is capable to do so. If not then a new box it is. Here in Canada the new boxes are not out yet and a local retailer tells me they will be $100.00 +
Thanks in advance for the help. Tracker.
The OTA change here in the US is having the analog channels shutdown. It has nothing to do with cable/satellite.
The OTA channels in the US right now have an analog channel and a digital channel (unless they havent upgraded to digital). As an example, my local CBS is on 4 but the digital channel is on 32. Here is where it gets confusing. The receivers "map" the channel to 4 (actually 4-1). On my HDTV I get all the locals from Minneapolis and they are on the "normal" channels (the same as the analog). But when the shutdown happens, some stations will revert back to the analog channel. Our local Fox is on 9 analog 26 digital. When the shutdown happens, the digital channel will go to 9.

But back to the original issues, to get digital OTA you need one of the following 3 types of receivers
1. a TV that has a digital tuner in it. All TV's for the US in the last couple years have to have a digital tuner
2. a receiver that has it along with something else (Pansat 9200 & Coolsat 8000 as examples get FTA & OTA) or the Dish Network boxes
3. the digital decoders that they are selling here for 40 bucks on up.

Guys, thanks for the reply. My bad. I'm already catching those channels as Iceberg pointed out. ;). Told you it was a silly question. Hey, I wake everyday to learn something new even though I'm getting up there in age. I visited many sites but here I feel at home and can ask without someone making a newbee feel stupid. Great bunch of testers. Thank you all for your help. Tracker.

there are so silly questions here. ;)
and unlike other places that say "do a search" we like to help out with the question...no matter how "goofy":)

I was looking into purchasing a digital box for locals when the change over comes about in 2009.........Here in Canada

The 2009 analog shutoff affects the U.S. only. It has nothing to do with OTA stations in Canada. The analog shutoff for Canadian OTA is not until August 2011.

You could also use a previously subbed Voom satellite receiver as long as it still has the smart card in it. The sat function is long gone but for the terrestrial tuner they're fine. I started using one to free up my 9200. It was $20 shipped.

If buying a used one make sure it has the card and remote. The remote is necessary because of the "green" button to access the installers menu from setup.

and also it has to be subsctibed to when Voom shut down. If it didn't, all you have is a doorstop

I use one and it works great...well except for that little issue with my CBS rebooting the box (CBS stations that are owned by CBS seem to make the box reboot)

Ok, I have been typing/erasing and reading back and forth here for well over two hours and came up with this. My CoolSat 5000/TV is not going to do what I want? There is no way my old TV ant. that has 64+- channels will work well after the change with a shorter wave length. The "yagi" shown with the kit seems to be only 1' long or shorter? The signals are going to stay "land based" (not sat. signals). Larry1, thanks for the links, The Cornwall repeater is my closest. Most of my channels are US repeaters since I'm right by the river where the line is drawn between Canada and the US. Jump in the car or boat, cross the pond and get a setup in the US to get me going to test and get setup for the future. Do I sound frustrated? Yes/No. Please set me straight if I'm "off base". Can't stand the unknown but in the end, keeping me out of trouble and having a heck of a lot of fun ! Something some will look over every day, but what a great hobby!!

I'm just curious about when the lawsuits are going to start up over this whole conversion thing... The ads on tv keep saying your tv won't work after 2009... It will work, just won't receive OTA reception without a digital to analogue conversion box.... can we say false advertising?.. does that rule even apply when the federal govt. is doing the advertising... throw in the monopolies to the mix since the coupons are only 40.00 but most places sell the boxes for 50.00.... going to be interesting seeing what the lawyers do next year.

The only part of a television that would be obsolete after February 17, 2009 is its analog tuner. This, of course, applies to VCRs as well. And if you are using the analog tuner for analog cable TV, it will work fine for that. There are many people who still receive television OTA from rabbit ears. They will either have to buy a new TV with a built-in digital tuner or get a converter box. I have two $40 coupons, since there are two TVs in my house that would need to receive OTA DTV in case of a cable TV outage.

The cheapest I've seen a coupon-eligible converter box is $45, for the Magnavox at Sams. Most "better" boxes (the Zenith or its Insignia clone) are $60, leaving you to pay the remaining $20.

a little off topic

The cheapest I've seen a coupon-eligible converter box is $45, for the Magnavox at Sams. Most "better" boxes (the Zenith or its Insignia clone) are $60, leaving you to pay the remaining $20.

Well, first off, that's my $40 you are spending ...
---(tax money)---
... but since I get a $40 coupon too , I won't bitch. :rolleyes:

I took a look at an RCA cheapie box at a buddy's house last weekend.
It seemed pretty nice.
But, I'd read it doesn't have the best tuner (or maybe it has low reliability, too many facts, and I'm overloaded)
Curious about the other "better" boxes you mentioned.
Maybe we should have a review thread, somewhere.

And lastly, paying $20 for a converter is trivial!
I'd pay $50, if it'd get me a decent one! :cool:

edit: and the week-long guide on the Echostar box sounds pretty good.
$52 before coupon from this vendor, plus shipping, I guess.
(research into older postings suggests it was supposed to sell for $42 before coupon)

Last edited:
The Zenith and its clones (both Zenith and rebranded as Insignia) get good reviews.

In all fairness, coupon-eligible boxes are all "bare bones" boxes to begin with (no HD, essential connectors only). I would pay more for a box that has no known serious issues and a sensitive tuner :)

Curious about the other "better" boxes you mentioned.
Maybe we should have a review thread, somewhere.

Goaliebob did a review of the Magnavox (didn't like it much) and the Insignia. Its somewhere around here, maybe posted 2-3 months ago...

EDIT: Found it... http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-over...look-digital-transition-conversion-boxes.html

Last edited:
One side note on this, some of the broadcasters to our area are putting a notice on the screen that they are low power repeater stations and will not be converting to digital. There are supposedly about 20 stations in our area, we get up to six of them depending on???? according to the AntennaWeb site, none of these will be digital. So you lucky ones who get digital, enjoy our tax coupon.

low powered stations do not need to upgrade to digital as of 2/17/09

only full powered stations need to

I'm just curious about when the lawsuits are going to start up over this whole conversion thing... The ads on tv keep saying your tv won't work after 2009... It will work, just won't receive OTA reception without a digital to analogue conversion box.... can we say false advertising?.. does that rule even apply when the federal govt. is doing the advertising... throw in the monopolies to the mix since the coupons are only 40.00 but most places sell the boxes for 50.00.... going to be interesting seeing what the lawyers do next year.
Well, I do hate to start off as a newcommer to this community with a gripe, but my "favorite" claim by this slanted ad propoganda campaign is "digital is better". HAH! Talk about K-R-A double P. Better for who? I can watch an analog sig way down into the threshhold of the sync signal dropping out, or of varing strength [TVDXing/propogation], but try that with digital, no way Homer! It is better in fact only for the greedy govt to re-sell the bandwidth for BIG BUCKS!
Another thing a friend pointed out to me was that although analog [AM] video can be "scrambled", it is far easier/more efficient and secure to setup digital signal encrypt/decryption system. Step one [system conversion/public conditioning] will be 100% in place in 2/09.
Now what happens X years down the road when the OTA providers want to compete on the same level as the "other" digital service providers? If you dont upgrade to a conditional access module system by such & such date you cant recieve the sig from said OTA provider after they painlessly "flip the switch", and there wont be any "grandfathered" DCII type systems either.
Long live T[rue]FTA. Guess we'll have to wait and see about F[ree]OTA.
Anyone ever ask themselves "Why are stations that broadcast commercials
encrypted?" If I were an advertiser, I think I'd have a problem with that.

Last edited:
I still think FTA can BE the digital conversion for rural areas. I am helping out one friend who lives in, well, it's not quite a "white area" but it is out in the boondocks, for sure, and is not really located within broadcast range of any large DMA's stations. In any case, her property is up on a hill, and has some old "ham radio" towers as she puts it, that an OTA antenna could be mounted to.

So the first idea is to set her up with a couple DTVPal CECBs and a decent antenna, and see what comes in. If that doesn't pan out, I'm strongly considering setting up some sort of FTA system for her. She is not especially interested in religious content, but would be interested in PBS, so I thought it might work to just point a single dish at 87. Alternatively, I have also thought about the Equity services at 123.

In any case, her property is up on a hill, and has some old "ham radio" towers as she puts it, that an OTA antenna could be mounted to.

Wow, having property like that would be my dream. Preferably it would be on the highest hill around and in between two (or more) major metropolitan areas. The HAM towers are already up there, step one complete! Now all that needs to be done is to populate them with Yagis and install a dish farm!

Status
Please reply by conversation.