Convert an iPad3 fm ATT to ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
We've had almost no cell data service on our iPad3 for months. ATT and Apple point fingers at each other.

Any chance the iPad could be issued a SIM from another provider and work? If so, I'd buy a data plan from them. Much cheaper than a new iPad. If we could test it in the store first, that is, and determine if it's ATT or the iPad itself at fault.

If this is not possible, I'll have to plan on buying the current model when it's price drops after the release of the next model.

I think you might have three possibilities to try: Cricket, StraightTalk, and T-Mobile. Cricket uses AT&T towers for their service, as does StraightTalk. T-Mobile is a GSM carrier but uses different frequencies.

I would check Apple's wireless support page to see if the iPad 3 can be unlocked from AT&T and if so, are the frequencies compatible with the carriers in your area.

I have a T-Mobile sim in my iPad 3 and it works where there is T-Mobile service. You can buy the sim from a T-Mobile store or mall kiosk for $10 and the first 200 megabytes of data each month is free.

Reactions: navychop
Final note. Realized I was paying $10/month for cell data service on the iPad 3 that rarely worked. Called to kill it.

It works fine on wi-fi and with a personal hot spot from my 6+. No loss.

She'll soon have an iPhone SE and she can hot spot to it.

I have at&t shared data between my iphone and ipad. The ipad is $10/month and I have not have had an issue with cell reception with the ipad air.

Well, the SE shipped out of China. UPS says Wednesday delivery, Apple says Thursday.

She's already bought a case. Mostly clear, but with Indian designs that appear when there is a colored background behind it. Indian, as in Ghandi.

Ah, the excitement. From someone opposed to replacing her clamshell just a few weeks ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts