Convert from Dish 500 to Dish 1000

kiheiman

Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
I currenty have a Dish 500 hooked to two 301 receivers. I would like to convert one receiver to a VIP211 so that I can get HD broadcasts (I now have a HD TV off of this receiver). Dish tells me that I will have to replace the 500 dish with a 1000 dish. I am assuming that the Dish 1000 also has two feeds. If I make the conversion, can I continue to use my 301 receiver on one of the Dish 1000 feeds. I do not want to convert my second TV to HD - the SD is fine.

Or maybe there is a better way to do this. Initially, I only want the free HD channels on Dish (I guess an extra $6.00 month) to see if I want to pay the $20/month to get all the HD channels.

I considered getting a VIP222 receiver, but I only need one HD TV setup.

First...Welcome to Satelliteguys!

Your location will dictate what you need to a dish. Most of the country use a 1000.2 while parts of eastern US will use a 2nd dish pointed at 61.5 instead of 129.

In order to upgrade E* will most likely require a install. Also, it's all or none on the HD pack right now.

There is only the HD package for 20$. They appear to be changing that to two lower priced packages in feb or so.

I also have a question. I just upgraded to HD and the install is next week. Will they replace the sat I have now with the 1000 or just add the 1000 so I would have 2? I ask because some people have problems getting 129 and 2 more sats are going up next year. Will the 1000 be able to pick up all of them? It would need it to pick up at least the 2 we use now plus 129, but it would be great if it would pick up the others as well when they go up. How many sats can the 1000 connect with?

I currenty have a Dish 500 hooked to two 301 receivers. I would like to convert one receiver to a VIP211 so that I can get HD broadcasts (I now have a HD TV off of this receiver). Dish tells me that I will have to replace the 500 dish with a 1000 dish. I am assuming that the Dish 1000 also has two feeds. If I make the conversion, can I continue to use my 301 receiver on one of the Dish 1000 feeds. I do not want to convert my second TV to HD - the SD is fine.

Or maybe there is a better way to do this. Initially, I only want the free HD channels on Dish (I guess an extra $6.00 month) to see if I want to pay the $20/month to get all the HD channels.

I considered getting a VIP222 receiver, but I only need one HD TV setup.

The 222 only gives you HD setup to one TV and SD to the other.

May I suggest that if you're going to upgrade to HD to go ahead and upgrade all the way to a HD DVR (622 or 722 receiver). Just like the 222, the HD DVR would feed HD to your HD TV and SD to your other TV.

There is only the HD package for 20$. They appear to be changing that to two lower priced packages in feb or so.

I also have a question. I just upgraded to HD and the install is next week. Will they replace the sat I have now with the 1000 or just add the 1000 so I would have 2? I ask because some people have problems getting 129 and 2 more sats are going up next year. Will the 1000 be able to pick up all of them? It would need it to pick up at least the 2 we use now plus 129, but it would be great if it would pick up the others as well when they go up. How many sats can the 1000 connect with?

It all depends on line-of-sight to the 129. Usually we can replace the existing Dish with the Dish 1000 and capture all 3 sats (119, 110, and 129).

But sometimes we have to install the Dish 1000 in an different spot, or do what we call a "2-dish" solution and leave your existing dish which captures the 119 and 110 and install a 2nd Dish 500 which is aimed at the 129 sat.

And unfortunately there are a lot of times when the customer is flat SOL because there isn't any line-of-sight to the 129 because it sits so low compared to the 119 and 110.

Management use to allow us to put up a Dish 500 aimed at the 61.5 to get HD programming but told us a while back to stop doing that due to impending changes with the 61.5 sat.

We are on a fairly high hill so it shouldn't be a problem. I was more wondering how the new sats going up would work if everyone would need a new dish to pick more up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)