Converting a Dish receiver to an EV

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I started a new thread to talk about people who have actually tried to convert receivers from Dish to EV.
I was taught that both E* and EV had their own R00 numbers and that EV would not be able to authorize a receiver from Dish.
I believed that until I purchased an EV 5100 from Ebay. The seller had taken virgin EV cards, remanufactured Dish 501 receivers with factory software and downloaded EV software.
I told him I knew it would not work, he told me I was wrong about the R00.. rule. He said that EV doesn't care where the receiver comes from, they just care about the card.
I was able to get the receiver added to my EV account.

For those of you with doubts, my auction is no longer available, but here's an example from that seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32848&item=5710153651

Has anyone else done this?

This would also help. When you call in a receiver to EV, do they have to ask you what kind of receiver you have or can they tell you? Dish can tell you by the R00 what kind it is. It would make sense that Dish would know and EV not. I was not able to call the receiver in myself, so I'm not sure of what was said.

I'm interested in this as well since I have 2 Dish Network receivers (510 & 310) and I'm most probably switching to EV this November. It's pretty annoying having to spend $400 CDN to buy the exact same hardware I already have here. I'd much rather spend $100 to $200 on EV access cards and reuse the hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts