coolsat 8000

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

flashfluud1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
ST LOUIS
I have purchased a used coolsat 8000.
everything works fine, exept the fan never shuts off,
even in standby mode.
Is this correct, is there a setting for this
thanks

The CS8000 never had a fan, so the one in yours is an add-on. I added one to mine, an external one that I can unplug, but unless you open up the box and put in a switch, I think you're stuck with what you have .
:)

even in standby mode.
thanks

Yes and it does kinda bother running all night with the unit powered off.
You can always turn off with rear switch for some nice quiet time. :D

I have a fan in my sonicview 4000 that I added. Got it at Radio Shack for $12.00. Bought a little switch to go with it so I could turn off the fan when I wanted.

mine doesnt have a fan...but then again when I got my 8000 (one of the first ones) there wasnt any satellite software in it (just OTA) ;)

Just keep it ventilated and you should be ok

It does not bother me to hear it all of the time, but it makes me wonder how long it will last running 24-7. I guess if you say they did not come out with a fan. If it burns up I will still be ok.
thanks

even in standby mode.
thanks

I don't have an 8000, I have an 8100. I didn't think that the 8000s came with a fan, I thought that people were installing them themselves, but maybe later models came out with them.

The fans on the 8100 can be quite loud and annoying, however. Even loud enough to distract you while watching programming, and keep you awake at night, however the fan DOES turn off when you power down. I seldom powered mine down, however, as I used the passthru to other receivers. I don't use my 8100 anymore, however, partly because of the fan, partly because of occasional reboots, and mainly because I've pretty much replaced it with my Azbox.

However, I'm curious, relative to the fan not shutting off when the receiver's switched off. It might be that if the fan was installed by the previous user, that he didn't connect it to the power point on the motherboard which is switched. Ie where is the fan plugged in? The motherboard on my 8100 is actually an 8000 motherboard, and the fan plugs into a little plug at the front right (when facing from front). See pictures attached below.

I seem to remember someone posting a picture of an 8000 motherboard which was different, and even if it was the same motherboard, the plug might not be installed, however you might get lucky and have this motherboard, and be able to tap off the same location on the motherboard. Of course the 8000 firmware might be different too, and not switch that location, or there might be components missing that get power to that spot, but it's worth a try.

With the 8100, the fan is pretty important, because the thing will get very hot without it, and usually the receivers will reboot or freeze up. Other people have posted about mounting a regular big computer fan on top. When the fan on one of my 8100s burned out, I put one right on top of the case, so it was drawing air through the holes on top, and that kept it pretty cool, but the way others have described doing it would be better. The little postage stamp sized fans make more noise than a computer fan, and draw less air.

Attachments

• hd8000_1145.jpg
    hd8000_1145.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 144
  • 8100top.jpg
    8100top.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 131
fans are good, when quiet:

Makes perfect sense that Coolsat would use the same motherboard in 8000's and 8100's.
Sounds like they ditched the 8000 board as the 8100 became available.

That little fan BJ shows ahead of the motherboard (thanks for the pix! :up ) will barely make a draft.
Often it doesn't take much to flush out the stagnant 'n hot air, though.
Also, it's hard or impossible to know a good fan from a cheap one.
(most are pretty cheap)
I'd say find a spare to have on hand for when the original gets noisy, and it will! ;)
I have some suggestions on lubricating them when new to extend their life, but nobody takes that seriously. - :(

The 120 mm fans are often available in slow-turning models.
They move a reasonable amount of air, but are whisper quiet.
Not every receiver has room for one inside, and not every user would put up with one mounted outside. - :rolleyes:

An alternative is to mount the case lid an extra inch above where it normally goes; that gives plenty of convection cooling, or clearance for a fan.
The lid wouldn't show if the receiver is in a pile or rack with other equipment, an environment where it needs that extra cooling all the more!

I leave mine running 24/7, and replace them every few years.
Your mileage may vary. - :cool:

As far as FTA fans, for me the wise choice is using a Notebook cooler plugged via USB caz it has the speed control. Keep it low at night and high when in real use.

BTW: My azbox and DTV HDDVR has em.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts