Coolsat 8000's going fairly cheap on ebay. Been away from FTA section for a while.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Maybe some owners don't want to be associated with Coolsat right now.

Wow.. I read that link. I can't believe that Dishnetwork wants the names of all of the people who have bought Coolsat units, just because they can be modified to pick up their signal.. I don't go to Home Depot and ask for the names of anybody who bought a hammer because it could be used to smash the window of my house to break in. If Dish had a secure system, then this would be a non-issue. Dishnetwork needs to focus on sending out those new smartcards as fast as they can and secure their signal instead of wasting time going after legitimate users of a competing technology.

yeah I'm not worried. They can come to my house and watch C-band stuff with no issues :)
Unfortunately, that's not the way these guys work. Unless you've been there, you can't understand how little they care about what you actually use the equipment for - they will file flat-out lies in court documents, hire "experts" who will testify that there is no legal use for the equipment, and hound you and threaten you right up to the day you are in court showing the legit use to a judge... and then still lie and demand that they are still right.

10,000 organized people could pool their money and fight this stuff legitimately, but if they go after you one at a time, you'll feel pretty darn helpless regardless of your innocense.

Unfortunately, that's not the way these guys work. Unless you've been there, you can't understand how little they care about what you actually use the equipment for - they will file flat-out lies in court documents, hire "experts" who will testify that there is no legal use for the equipment, and hound you and threaten you right up to the day you are in court showing the legit use to a judge... and then still lie and demand that they are still right.

10,000 organized people could pool their money and fight this stuff legitimately, but if they go after you one at a time, you'll feel pretty darn helpless regardless of your innocense.

I know that corporations have lots of legal power. However, I would almost welcome them to take me to court, because after I had demonstrated that i was totally legal I would have a counter suit that would make my children wealthy.

One thing they cannot dispute is what is showing on my TV. The court would be most welcome to visit my place and see what is there.

In my opinion, we have a lot of problems today because a lot of folks are intimidated by those same corporations. I am not anti big business in any fashion, but, they cannot be permitted to bully folks who are committing no crime.

legal discussion aside, I got my 8000 today, unit looks in great shap, couple scuffs on top. Came with factory software so either I got it from a "smart" hacker or could it be an honest guy?; anyways it was old factory stuff, so I updated to that. Hopefully will get time to play tonight with it.

Echostar is one of the largest FTA manufactures in Europe.

legal discussion aside, I got my 8000 today, unit looks in great shap, couple scuffs on top. Came with factory software so either I got it from a "smart" hacker or could it be an honest guy?; anyways it was old factory stuff, so I updated to that. Hopefully will get time to play tonight with it.

enjoy :)

From reading the documents on EFF's website, Dish is claiming they only want the customer lists to "survey" the buyers of coolsat receivers to find out if they are using them for legit fta means or to pirate signals. EFF has asked the judge in the case to stop this as they are questioning Dish's true motives. Hopefully, the judge will listen to EFF, so that Dish does not attempt to destroy the "legal Fta" hobby.

Has Dish tried to ask for customer lists in their cases against Viewsat or Pansat?

I read on Wikpedia that over 2 million FTA boxes have been sold in the USA. That's a heck of alot of consumers to go after especially since many folks who bought totally legal FTA receivers are hobbyists, churches, ethnic groups, schools, and folks who just wanted an alternative to pay tv - especially those in rural areas where OTA broadcasts are limited.

The faith I'm affiliated with runs Gospel Broadcasting Network on AMC 6. The only way to received their broadcasts is by using a legal FTA receiver.

I have no use for anyone who steals satellite programming and don't care what happens to the hackers. But, how will they separate the "sheep" from the "goats" in this case.
It's not going to be very good publicity for dish if they try to take legal action against churches, members of ethnic groups, homeschoolers, and "little old ladies" who bought FTA systems to get 3ABN or other religious programming.

Wouldn't they have to prove intent or that a person was actually stealing? I mean that would be like going down the street and seeing a sports car in a driveway and trying to issue the owner a speeding ticket because the car "could" speed?

I searched on E-Bay for the 800 and they are still over 200 bucks :(... Any tricks finding one for that magic $150? :)

After people read this thread, the trick will become that much more difficult.

Wouldn't they have to prove intent or that a person was actually stealing? I mean that would be like going down the street and seeing a sports car in a driveway and trying to issue the owner a speeding ticket because the car "could" speed?

lumpkin666 is right. These bastid lawyers sometimes don't trouble themselves to find out if you really are stealing or not.

Does anyone remember the inquisition lawyers unleashed on people who purchased smart card reader/writers? If I recall correctly, DirecTV's lawyers subpoenaed smart card reader/writer sellers and then sued people who bought them.

Some of the buyers may have done so with the purpose of pirating DirecTV. Other buyers had legitimate and lawful uses for the devices. That was nearly irrelevant. People who did not pirate the TV service were also caught up in the "crime" of posessing the reader/writers. If I recall correctly, people were offered a multi thousand dollar "opportunity" to settle out of court. If you did want to go to court, you were pitted against the resources of a large corporation.

These are civil suits, so they don't necessarily have to prove anything before suing you.

Time will tell how Dish Network's lawyers handle their legal proceedings.

From reading the documents on EFF's website, Dish is claiming they only want the customer lists to "survey" the buyers of coolsat receivers to find out if they are using them for legit fta means or to pirate signals. EFF has asked the judge in the case to stop this as they are questioning Dish's true motives. Hopefully, the judge will listen to EFF, so that Dish does not attempt to destroy the "legal Fta" hobby.

Has Dish tried to ask for customer lists in their cases against Viewsat or Pansat?

I read on Wikpedia that over 2 million FTA boxes have been sold in the USA. That's a heck of alot of consumers to go after especially since many folks who bought totally legal FTA receivers are hobbyists, churches, ethnic groups, schools, and folks who just wanted an alternative to pay tv - especially those in rural areas where OTA broadcasts are limited.

The faith I'm affiliated with runs Gospel Broadcasting Network on AMC 6. The only way to received their broadcasts is by using a legal FTA receiver.

I have no use for anyone who steals satellite programming and don't care what happens to the hackers. But, how will they separate the "sheep" from the "goats" in this case.
It's not going to be very good publicity for dish if they try to take legal action against churches, members of ethnic groups, homeschoolers, and "little old ladies" who bought FTA systems to get 3ABN or other religious programming.

This TACTIC is refered to as the "chilling effect" of a lawsuit. It is legalized terrorism and organized crime. Some company or person may know they have no chance with a criminal suit, so they harrass and threaten. If our political machine was not "The Best Money Can BUY" we might be protected. But organized crime always protects itself. Scan your personal memories and you will understand!

i agree, something really stinks. too many sue first and ask questions later.

i got sued by f**d mo*or compa*y for a website friends and I made. it was a portal that contained links to different websites containing material regarding different vehicles. i am a diesel nut myself and figured all my research could help someone out in the future and make it easy to find. My buddy with his mustang felt the same way as did my other friend with his bronco.

i figured if i was ever contacted about it, i wouldn't hesitate to remove anything. it was all in good fun. well, i was contacted, after i received a letter via registered mail. first time i had heard of "cyber-squatting" and their complaint that some of the sites linked on our page contained "potentially copyright infringing" material. they sued demanding a big settlement.

it was way cheaper to settle than to fight it. i would have taken it down if they would have aksed me too, but instead they extorted money out of us. i asked my attorney and he advised to settle because of how much $$$$$ it would have taken to fight it.

this sounds just like what Echostar is up to. and it will work. DirecTV did it. the RIAA is doing it.

Well, if things work out for Dish, maybe the end of finding a cheap and user-friendly receiver. One could always rely on costlier broadcast/professional-grade receivers.

well i've been working and learning the coolsat 8000 , i like some things about it and dislike others.
-- the menu system was ok enough to figure out it could have been setup a bit better one thing is that whoever set it up didn't use one lol

-- didn't really care for the dish setup ( you have to select dish and then satellite)

-- really miss blind scan ability and the ability to edit the channel list

-- don't like having to select modulation ( maybe something that will get fixed when and if the blindscan gets fixed

-- seems my 8000 does run hotter than my coolsat 5000 .

-- picture quality is great :) might be better than the coolsat 5000 ( i know on the channels that the 5000 doesn't get are better :)

-- ac-3 ( like ice's review mentions thats a big plus

there are more good points but will save those for another post

so i have to figure out what i want to do..... use it or sell it ..... compared side by side with my usb worldbox ( it doesn't get dvb-s2) they are about even...... a little edge should be given to the coolsat 8000 for dvb-s2 and not needing a computer.
more in another post

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)