copper core or copper coated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mots-a

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
ok I am a newbie with copper core and copper coated rg6.

long story short I purchased a roll of rg6 today and was told it was copper core. after making a few drops I was playing with the cable and noticed that the middle of the copper looked silver so I gave it a magnet test and the magnet stuck to it.

the cable I have run is cci 92042 quad ccs. I called 2 people I know that are electricians and they are telling me it will be fine but they also work for big box company's ( cheaper and faster)

I have been looking tonight for a roll of rg6 copper and I can't find any in my area . I am off of work Saturday ( tomorrow ) and planing on finishing my cable runs for a install from dtv on Monday .

I am sure my longest run isn't going to be over 150 feet.

i am having a genie installed plus 2 minis. also have 2 excisting hd DVrs

should I continue running this cable or cancel the Monday appointment and re install cable runs?

thanks,
t

You usually can't get solid copper core from a local supplier, I have always bought mine from a web vendor.
The only difference between SCC and CCS RG6 is the voltage drop, the signal attenuation is exactly the same. That means the only run to possibly be concerned about is the one from the power inserter to the dish, which if it is a very long run should ideally be SCC. The rest of the runs in the house can be CCS RG6 with no problems.
If the run to the dish is a problem, the installer will replace it with SCC. Or you can use the 29v power inserter instead of the 21v inserter, to overcome the voltage drop.

I'm with texasbrit, not that much difference. I did all the in-wall installation before D* showed up. My installer asked to replace the run from where we installed the splitter to the dish with his solid core wire. It was an easy swap. He also ran solid core coax with a ground wire from the dish to the location right above my electrical box where he ran the separate ground wire. Your installer will want to do the same thing. So, if you are satisfied with what you have done in the walls, just let your installer finish with his wire. You will both be very happy with the result.

Just an FYI, RF travels over the surface of the wire which is why copper-cladded wire worked just fine for all RF signals. DC voltages, on the other hand, travel through the core of the wire. It is just that 21 volts DC is not a lot of power and if you run that through steel it can degrade with longer runs. (I frequently use a 50 ft copper-cladded run on my RV SWM setup with no problem. Longer runs, however can become problematic.)

the run from the dish to the carport shed where i want the swm installed is about 30 feet.

thanks all.

the run from the dish to the carport shed where i want the swm installed is about 30 feet.

thanks all.
That would be no problem even with CCS, although the installer might still want to replace it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)