Copy Shows from EHD on VIP612 to Hopper 3?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kshaw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Before installing the Hopper 3, I archived all the shows on our VIP612s to the external hard drive. When I plug it into the Hopper, I get a warning that the hard drive needs to be reformatted before it can be used and that all the shows on the drive will be lost. I am thinking that if I get a second hard drive and let the Hopper format that, that I could then use a laptop and some disk utilities like Partition Guru or AOMEI Partition Assistant to copy the shows from the old drive to the new one. Anyone tried something like this? Any other suggestions to get the old shows onto the Hopper?

Reactions: charlesrshell
might be a superblock error, fairly easy to repair, it is backed up in several locations.
the drive is seen, thats why it asks to reformat it

linux, or ext2explore in windows can show drive information
there are 2 folders per partition, Disharc, and lost&found , each show/movie is in its own folder, 4 files per.

my 612,722 would bork the superblock every once and a while, asking to reformat. after restoring the superblock everything was back to normal, no data lost
my H3 decided to toss all my stuff into the lost&found recently, had to move it back, dealing with permissions as well , once again nothing lost

Macrium Reflect can work with the drive as well, for backup and restore

my last adventure EHD H3 lost all listings, space used shown correctly

Reactions: TheKrell
I let the Hopper 3 format my new drive and it creates multiple primary 466gb partitions using the Linux ext3 file system but the first partition was only 980mb also in ext3. My old drive from the VIP 612 was formatted with 500gb partitions (also ext3) with the first partition similar to the new one. It looked like both had the same file structure as JS_racer described. All of my recordings were stored in the second partition (other partition folders appeared to be empty) so I thought that I would just have to copy those files to the new hard drive second partition. I found a utility called EXT2FSD that permits you to copy the files from one drive to another in Windows explorer (Windows 10). You have to run the programs included with EXT2FSD as an administrator else it will not recognize the drives. The copy worked fine. Unfortunately, when I plugged the new disk in, the videos did not show up and the Hopper 3 showed that 0 space was used on the drive. At this point, I believe that there may be some hidden files somewhere that I need to copy or maybe the second partition is not where the files go.

I let the Hopper 3 format my new drive and it creates multiple primary 466gb partitions using the Linux ext3 file system but the first partition was only 980mb also in ext3. My old drive from the VIP 612 was formatted with 500gb partitions (also ext3) with the first partition similar to the new one. It looked like both had the same file structure as JS_racer described. All of my recordings were stored in the second partition (other partition folders appeared to be empty) so I thought that I would just have to copy those files to the new hard drive second partition. I found a utility called EXT2FSD that permits you to copy the files from one drive to another in Windows explorer (Windows 10). You have to run the programs included with EXT2FSD as an administrator else it will not recognize the drives. The copy worked fine. Unfortunately, when I plugged the new disk in, the videos did not show up and the Hopper 3 showed that 0 space was used on the drive. At this point, I believe that there may be some hidden files somewhere that I need to copy or maybe the second partition is not where the files go.

I copied the first partition once with LInux and the same thing happened to me. What I had to do was change the ownership of all the files I copied to root. That fixed it. Note that I did that for a 722.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Great tip! The original files show "Everyone" as the owner. Is that what you changed it to? Is there a utility to do a global ownership change or did you have to do it for each file? I probably have 300 or so shows with 4 files per show.

Great tip! The original files show "Everyone" as the owner. Is that what you changed it to? Is there a utility to do a global ownership change or did you have to do it for each file? I probably have 300 or so shows with 4 files per show.

As I thought. That is almost certainly a Windows ownership tag. These files and folders need to have a user ID and group ID of root:root in order to be seen by the receiver. I did this with a Linux live CD command line of the form,

# chown root:root -Rv /path/to/disk/partition/and/folder

The -R makes it a recursive command, while the -v switch just tells you what it's doing when it does it.

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts