Copying HD DVD's.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Do you think someone will come out with a product like DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink for use with HD-DVD's?

Last edited:
Jim? I can say with absolute certainty that it will never happen.

...I also don't think these computer things will ever become afordable enough for anyone other than the military, and direct satellite broadcasts into homes? Who's smoke'n what and where can I get some! ;)

In other words, it is only a matter of time.

There's no need to, AACS (which is the cryptography standard used on both HD DVD and Blu-Ray) supports "managed copy", which means you will be able to make copies of the movie directly through your player as long as you have somewhere to store them (attached media server).

- Shane

mssturgeon said:
There's no need to, AACS (which is the cryptography standard used on both HD DVD and Blu-Ray) supports "managed copy", which means you will be able to make copies of the movie directly through your player as long as you have somewhere to store them (attached media server).

- Shane

Which means that copies made on one device can only be played back on that same device. If you've got multiple players, you can't share a copy between players (at least for the forseeable future anyway).

Once networked devices come into the picture, this may change. I can envision networked HD DVD/BluRay players sharing encryption wherein they are able to share the encryption between units, but I haven't read any mention of this so it is speculation at this point.

So theoritically, I could copy a disc on my PC with equipped burner and watch it back on my PC? But if I move the disc to lets say a Toshiba commercial HD DVD player it wont work?

JimMcC said:
Do you think someone will come out with a product like DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink for use with HD-DVD's?
Absolutely. Forget about what the standalone players will allow us to do. Who gives a rats ass. Toshiba already has a laptop out with an HD DVD Drive. Wait it WILL happen.

Agree Completely

vurbano said:
Absolutely. Forget about what the standalone players will allow us to do. Who gives a rats ass. Toshiba already has a laptop out with an HD DVD Drive. Wait it WILL happen.

I agree completely....There is nothing a man can build that another cannot defeat!

Anyone remember VCII...(BTW: VCII+ was also beaten eventually) that was also Military technology. Kids (and professional Pirates) will find a way! That is assuming HD-DVD, BR survive. The public will have to decide that and as I have said before...Blockbuster Video will help determine a winner IMHO!

Now when someone develops Holographic TV and Media...(and If I am still around:) , THAT WILL GET MY ATTENTION!

Jeff

gizzer777 said:
I agree completely....There is nothing a man can build that another cannot defeat!

Anyone remember VCII...(BTW: VCII+ was also beaten eventually) that was also Military technology. Kids (and professional Pirates) will find a way! That is assuming HD-DVD, BR survive. The public will have to decide that and as I have said before...Blockbuster Video will help determine a winner IMHO!

Now when someone develops Holographic TV and Media...(and If I am still around:) , THAT WILL GET MY ATTENTION!

Jeff

Wow I agree 100% with the blockbuster line of thinking. I think I said that when the HD DVD subject first hit this forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts