Anyone still using COBOL?
There was a call for programmers during Covid. Old state unemployment systems among others. It is still being executed although probably not new development.

Did that for while back in the 80's.

Anyone still using COBOL?
We have a system that still uses COBOL. Still active, still running (although in a Virtual environment using vtVAX).

It seems to work! I found that one of my disks that was supposed to be movies also had about 300 TV show episodes. So, I copied just the shows to one of my shows disks, using the grep/copy command above and the Hopper 3 seems to like the result just fine. (It recognized the disk, showed the moved episodes, and I played a minute of one of them just to see.)

Now I'm waiting for the inverse of that copy (ie: everything except the TV shows) to complete to the new movies disk.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Lot of messages here. What actually worked - i.e. what did you copy?

Lot of messages here. What actually worked - i.e. what did you copy?
There are 25 messages including yours. You could simply read them, it won’t take long. Why do we need a recap?

Summarizing: I was able to copy files directly from one EHD to another using Linux, and I was able to select shows by titles, and combine shows to make resulting disks better organized than the source disks were. In more detail I:

1) Copied all recordings from an old “shows” disk to a new “shows” disk.

2) Copied TV shows that were on a “movies” disk on to the “shows” disk in step one.

3) Copied everything but TV shows from the old “movies” disk to a new “movies” disk.

So, I now have better-organized new disks, and the old disks as backups, just in case the new disks crash, or I discover that I’ve messed something up! - But so far, these new disks are behaving just fine.

There are 25 messages including yours. You could simply read them, it won’t take long. Why do we need a recap?
Thanks Bobby - I have read the messages twice. There seems to be enough there to confuse me as to what was being accomplished. I honestly don't generate messages just to see my name. Thanks - Larry

Thanks for the reply. I had never copied anything except whole disks. This gives me a lot of new info. Thanks for sharing it.