Copying/rearranging EHDs

It seems to work! I found that one of my disks that was supposed to be movies also had about 300 TV show episodes. So, I copied just the shows to one of my shows disks, using the grep/copy command above and the Hopper 3 seems to like the result just fine. (It recognized the disk, showed the moved episodes, and I played a minute of one of them just to see.)

Now I'm waiting for the inverse of that copy (ie: everything except the TV shows) to complete to the new movies disk.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It seems to work! I found that one of my disks that was supposed to be movies also had about 300 TV show episodes. So, I copied just the shows to one of my shows disks, using the grep/copy command above and the Hopper 3 seems to like the result just fine. (It recognized the disk, showed the moved episodes, and I played a minute of one of them just to see.)

Now I'm waiting for the inverse of that copy (ie: everything except the TV shows) to complete to the new movies disk.
Lot of messages here. What actually worked - i.e. what did you copy?

Summarizing: I was able to copy files directly from one EHD to another using Linux, and I was able to select shows by titles, and combine shows to make resulting disks better organized than the source disks were. In more detail I:

1) Copied all recordings from an old “shows” disk to a new “shows” disk.

2) Copied TV shows that were on a “movies” disk on to the “shows” disk in step one.

3) Copied everything but TV shows from the old “movies” disk to a new “movies” disk.

So, I now have better-organized new disks, and the old disks as backups, just in case the new disks crash, or I discover that I’ve messed something up! - But so far, these new disks are behaving just fine.

There are 25 messages including yours. You could simply read them, it won’t take long. Why do we need a recap?
Thanks Bobby - I have read the messages twice. There seems to be enough there to confuse me as to what was being accomplished. I honestly don't generate messages just to see my name. Thanks - Larry

Summarizing: I was able to copy files directly from one EHD to another using Linux, and I was able to select shows by titles, and combine shows to make resulting disks better organized than the source disks were. In more detail I:

1) Copied all recordings from an old “shows” disk to a new “shows” disk.

2) Copied TV shows that were on a “movies” disk on to the “shows” disk in step one.

3) Copied everything but TV shows from the old “movies” disk to a new “movies” disk.

So, I now have better-organized new disks, and the old disks as backups, just in case the new disks crash, or I discover that I’ve messed something up! - But so far, these new disks are behaving just fine.
Thanks for the reply. I had never copied anything except whole disks. This gives me a lot of new info. Thanks for sharing it.