Cord Cutters Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodad

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
I think this would be a good idea for a forum.

I am really thinking about doing away with cable, but I have a few concerns. I know there are alternatives out there, so I think it would be nice to have a forum that helps people out with doing it. I know we have a few members here that have done it.

My concerns are with replacing what we have now.

I currently have TWC with 2 HD dvrs, and a tivo. We also have 2 xboxs and a roku the one with the games and game remote. We also subscribe to Netflix and Hulu+. the big concerns are broadcast channels. I do not live too far from the towers and am pretty sure I could the big 4 with an indoor antennea hooked to the Tivo.

The big question is, shows that are not on broadcast channels. like Duke Dynasty, and The Walking Dead. wife likes some shows too, like Lockup on MSNBC and a couple medical shows like NY Med or something like that. How do you go about watching those with the equipment we have now.

We have been discussing these sorts of issues, either in the OTA forum or in the Streaming Video/IPTV forum. My setup is similar to yours, and we cut TWC over a year ago.
Why don't you open a topic in Streaming Video and we will discuss some options.

Start a new one

I am getting sick of the crap on most channels, CNN's Jerry Springer imitation being the latest example, and am preparing to downsize or cut. Start a new forum. ron

I think it would attract a lot of attention. People are living on more of a stricter budge these days and cable/satellite is getting rather expensive.

What I would really like is a place people could come and ask, Hey I like this show, how can I get it without cable legally. and then everyone can let them know different ways. I don't mind doing some of the research to find shows and stuff. I have quit a few different ways of getting stuff and plan on buying more once I do cut the cord (probably next week, I think the wife is on board with it now.) We can see how it goes. That also gives me all summer to set up everything before most of the new shows come back next fall.

There are so many entertainment options available that Cutting The Cord (CTC) is alot easier than it seems. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, Apple.... OTA and FTA.... there is a lot of quality stuff available.

It took a bit of time getting use to it (no more channel surfing and watching some shows the next day ie- Game of Thrones on VOD) but the end rewards justify it. Extra money in my pocket and watching TV when I want to watch it as opposed to following a network's schedule.

Cheers, K

I think we would get a lot of discussion in a "Cord Cutter's" forum. There are different levels of cord cutting and right now you have to search many different forums to to find the cord cutting "gold".

I highly recommend a separate forum for "Cord Cutter's".

Different Levels

The thing I am considering most is cutting back to a very low package so I can retain the recording aspect of the 772 for OTA channels, and BEIN sports, I also have many recordings as a reserve. ron

This is a great idea for a new forum and would get alot of peoples interest with remarks already made above and more!! :)

There are a lot of dispersed threads that have to do with cord cutting or near cord cutting. It is something that I am interested in doing eventually. A long term goal is internet on demand for any show I want to watch.

Yes. A lot of this gets discussed in the OTA and Streaming sub-forums. Maybe a " Master Forum " containing these two sub-forums plus a general Cord Cutter sub-forum. That would put everything under one heading.

I have a TiVo HD box but really couldn't justify $14 a month just for DVR and a guide. I had Dish AEP up until about 2009 then started downgrading until I reached Dish America + HBO/Showtime. I put my Dish account on pause for 6 months twice between 2009 and now during the more active summer months. I decided to just go with the Welcome Pack. The cost is about $29 but I still get OTA with the 722 along with History, AMC, TBS, HGTV, Hallmark, plus a guide for all OTA but MeTV. The 722 is superior to the TiVo HD and probably the new base Premiere.

I'd like to see a cord cutters section too. I lot of discussion goes on in the streaming section. There's plenty of places on line to get almost any show you want, problem is a lot of it isn't legal. It would be nice to be able for folks to post legit places to find various shows whether it's newer episodes or retro/classic tv etc..Technology is changing with new things like Aereo, Roku 3, whatever set top box it is that Intel is working on etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Posting issues

Pub subscription overlap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)