Cord cutting on the cheap!

when ever i cancel my t.v. service they start e-mailing me and snail mailing me like a desperate ex with we love you we miss you come back offers. the last offer i got was free box rentals free dvr service and 160 channels for 29.99 though i bumped the channel line up to 250 for 20.00 more

yea but 60.00 for the phone. your getting bent over!!! i pay 9.99 a month taxes and fees included with unlimited everything!!! that's for my landline...

Landline is free. Bundle is $90. If standalone, internet is actually about $90 unbundled. For some reason, I can't reduce my service and save money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: krynn
Have you ever seen a glass that was half full? :).

I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume one already has have enough speed, data caps would be the only issue.

As to the 2nd comment, well that’s your opinion. I can only say that the bulk of comments in many forums that talk about which streaming service or combo of them is best almost never mention the cost of the broadband.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Just because you have internet, doesn't mean its enough to do cord cutting ....
I see people signing up for any where from 1mg to 10 meg that expect to stream and run thier kids tablets and probably game as well ...

Now we know very well that the internet available isn't going to cut it, but they say, go ahead ...

More cogitating. I was leaning towards shifting to YTTV since it covers all the channels I would watch. But the SlingTV, Hulu, CBS All Access has its allure too.

YTTV - Could be cheapest way to go if I cancel Hulu & CBS All Access since because of the way the YTTV DVR works I could watch recent shows via either VOD or DVR easily. Downside is the VOD versions have non-skippable ads. Another is seeing individual episode descriptions easily. With YTTV you actually have to be in the episode to be able to see that. And I like not having ads and having episode descriptions prominently displayed.

SlingTV, Hulu, CBS All Access - slightly higher that YTTV solution.
For the SlingTV app - Has a better guide which includes episode info similar to what cable/sat does. Has a DVR that is similar to cable/sat boxes, and all shows can use manual skip for getting away from ads. And you can delete DVR’d shows which cannot be done on YTTV. Much fewer channels and no locals at all. SlingTV now has included ‘Sling Free’ which is a collection of some channels and shows of widely varying interest and quality.
For the Hulu App w/basic Hulu w/no ads - Of course no ads is a plus, covers those channels not in YTTV with the exception of CBS stuff. Can make a ‘My Stuff’ section so you can keep track of the shows you watch. Shows watched will track in the AppleTV app on my AppleTV and Hulu is one part of the unified search on with that app.
CBS All Access - Again, no ads. Has live CBS from my local area. Also has some excellent original stuff. And like with Hulu, the AppleTV app will track shows I watch on CBS and the shows in CBS are part of the unified search with that app.

I’ll admit that I’ve been spoiled by the auto ad-skipping with my Tivo for many of the shows I watch so the Sling combo is really of interest and only slightly more complicated to deal with. But to be fair in my evaluation I just spent a week only using YTTV so I could get a real feel of it. This next week will be using only the Sling combo along with my Tivo for a couple local channels to catch the local news. Other local interest stuff isn’t interesting to me. Since I always watch shows the next day this should work out fine.

what i would like to see is when they release the 3.0 standard comes out is. i would like to be able to subscribe to a station like ESPN that ABC owns. it would be great to grab the remote and push a few buttons and boom you have espn!!! hell alot of people are already flipping out because the think free OTA will go away since a converter box is needed and it will need to be connected to the internets!!!

I see people signing up for any where from 1mg to 10 meg that expect to stream and run thier kids tablets and probably game as well ...

Now we know very well that the internet available isn't going to cut it, but they say, go ahead ...

Yeah, that is true. Some people just won’t do the simplest research before jumping in. But those same people are already on the internet, usually in social media of some sort, know how to do at least simple searches and ought to do some basic research. It isn’t like there isn’t a ton of stories out there about cutting the cord.

.. disregard
Yeah, that is true. Some people just won’t do the simplest research before jumping in. But those same people are already on the internet, usually in social media of some sort, know how to do at least simple searches and ought to do some basic research. It isn’t like there isn’t a ton of stories out there about cutting the cord.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Where does one get 1-10 Mbps internet anyway, unless you're in an extremely remote rural area and/or have a terrible provider operating on outdated infrastructure? My cable co's advertised plans start at 150 Mbps. I know they have lower plans, but you have to know about them and specifically request them, and even then, they'll try to upsell you up to at least 30 Mbps. I know this from experience helping my dad who doesn't stream video outside the occasional YouTube clip.

Where does one get 1-10 Mbps internet anyway, unless you're in an extremely remote rural area and/or have a terrible provider operating on outdated infrastructure?
Suffice it to say that there are quite a few areas that don't have great broadband availability or what they do offer is prohibitively expensive (either monthly or to get installed or both).

The population density may never justify wired options in some areas and the gubmint subsidized broadband expansion programs have been hit and miss.

"Unlimited" satellite runs about $100/month for 10Mbps service and, as might be expected, it isn't truly unlimited.

what i would like to see is when they release the 3.0 standard comes out is. i would like to be able to subscribe to a station like ESPN that ABC owns.
This hasn't really caught on in the past and I don't expect that NEXTGEN TV is going to change that. NEXTGEN TV is perhaps more about routing viewers to content through their broadband connection.

Reactions: krynn
Where does one get 1-10 Mbps internet anyway, unless you're in an extremely remote rural area and/or have a terrible provider operating on outdated infrastructure? My cable co's advertised plans start at 150 Mbps. I know they have lower plans, but you have to know about them and specifically request them, and even then, they'll try to upsell you up to at least 30 Mbps. I know this from experience helping my dad who doesn't stream video outside the occasional YouTube clip.
Mostly those speeds go to the low income people ... its offered for like $5-10 depending on what they can get.

Anywhere around here that isn’t fortunate enough to have cable or fiber service is usually stuck with 1.5 to 15Mbps DSL varieties. My only option other than Cox is 4M dsl from Windstream.

Anywhere around here that isn’t fortunate enough to have cable or fiber service is usually stuck with 1.5 to 15Mbps DSL varieties. My only option other than Cox is 4M dsl from Windstream.
Centurylink used to do online qualifications but the answer was almost always disappointing so they now make you sign up before they deliver the news. Comcast advertises true broadband service at three times the speed for the same price so it is an uphill battle to peddle DSL. I have 150Mb service at work at it tests at around 84 down early on a weekend morning so you don't always get what they promise and business service is absolutely no guarantee of performance.

Everyone's environment and experience is different.

Centurylink used to do online qualifications but the answer was almost always disappointing so they now make you sign up before they deliver the news. Comcast advertises true broadband service at three times the speed for the same price so it is an uphill battle to peddle DSL. I have 150Mb service at work at it tests at around 84 down early on a weekend morning so you don't always get what they promise and business service is absolutely no guarantee of performance.

Everyone's environment and experience is different.

Centurylink is the same as Windstream at our Condo in Las Vegas. 3-4M dsl is all that’s offered to our location, so Cox gets our business in 2 States. Still not sure if that’s a good thing or not. Cox Oklahoma does have better service than Cox Las Vegas.

Been using the Sling/Hulu/CBS/OTA setup for a couple days.

Sling part is fine, DVR easy to get going and to manage.

Hulu is a bit more difficult since you don’t actually do DVR functions. So I put shows in ‘My Stuff’ so I would have one place to go to them. But after they are there you can’t really look at a schedule because it doesn’t exist. And setting up the show so it shows the proper one in “up next” on the AppleTV app means going to one episode prior to the one you want to be there and setting it to play to finish.

CBS is actually worse than that because it doesn’t track as well. Nothing to really manage there.

OTA is done via Tivo, no real issues

AppleTV App - The ‘Up Next’ strip works OK but doesn’t feel intuitive. Nothing really bad, just somehow feel ‘off’.

So the early return is that YTTV, while being a bit more expensive, is much easier to deal with. More so than I thought it would be in comparison.

So it is still down to $$ vs convenience for me.

Slight issue with using the AppleTV app’s ‘up next’. Noticed last night that Deputy showed up on the FoxNow app before the overnight when it would show up on Hulu. In ‘up next’ it only showed FoxNow as the way to watch, and today when it actually is on Hulu, it still showed FoxNow as the only way to watch.

Not earth shattering, but I did make myself a note to delete the FoxNow app when I make my final decision.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
OK, after the last couple of weeks with YouTubeTV and the combo of Sling/Hulu/CBS All Access I’ve decided on YTTV. Primarily because of how hinky SlingTV app works on the AppleTV.

And because I will use Hulu & CBS less, mostly for the originals, I’ll switch them both to ‘with ads’. That puts the cost difference between the two methods to less than $5/month/

I was doing fine with just OTA until last fall when we moved 50 miles further north. I couldn't put up an outdoor antenna (apartment), and the best ones indoor were sketchy at best.

I looked at a number of IP solutions for locals, but Spectrum started offering a $25 package that allowed you to pick 10 channels from a list, plus your locals. Seemed competitive, so I decided to try it, especiallly since it had the advantage of working with my TIVO units.

What was interesting was all the bonus content that wasn't advertised. In addition to my 10 picks and the locals, I also received all the subchannels like decades and antenna. The package also included all the public service channels, the shopping channels and as a bonus, all the music choice audio channels. All that extra stuff was unadvertised, but it makes this a good deal for me.

Reactions: Marcingak

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts