Cost of Apple TV vs. Dish Network Turbo GOLD + Platinum

JonE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Denver, CO
We're cutting costs around here, so I'm looking at purchasing Apple TV and just purchasing season passes of shows we watch as opposed to paying $80 a month for stuff we never watch. I watch baseball but I can get that on the iPhone now. Moreseo when they start putting every MLB.TV game on the app. Back to my point. Would the monthly costs be dramatically different between the two? Between having that available on-demand and being able to view shows on my laptop or iPhone, and using the iPhone as a remote there's a lot to like otherwise.

If you can get OTA, it will save you even more money if you get an OTA DVR. That combined with subscriptions to the series you like you will probably come out ahead. I have been watching this, but I am stuck on a few series that still are not available yet (they run a year behind).

Hook your computer to your tv and watch them for free.

There is a lot of content out there for free. I have a laptop with an s-video jack hooked to a 32" sdtv. You can find episodes of just about anything on the net. Some episodes are easy to find for free. Others you have to hunt for.

Sometimes the video quality is great when you blow it up to fullscreen. Sometimes its not. Sometimes the video is smooth. Sometimes the video doesn't load fast enough and ends up pausing occasionally. Those things can be frustrating but its free. It would be alot more frustrating if I paid for it.

Check out websites at Hulu, ABC, WB, NBC, CBS, Veoh, and Surfthechannel.

If after checking everywhere else on the net you still feel like buying episodes, surfthechannel has links to do so from places like amazon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)