Cost of Flex?

spencer7779

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
central florida
Looking at Dish Flex. I see starting at $34.99. What else is there. I guess there is a Dvr charge. Any extra cost for a basic receiver ? Is there one that will work with a sling adapter?

Looking at Dish Flex. I see starting at $34.99. What else is there. I guess there is a Dvr charge. Any extra cost for a basic receiver ? Is there one that will work with a sling adapter?

Back in July when I got my Hopper 3 upgrade, they offered Flex for $29.99 with a 2 year price lock, and discounted DVR fee of $10 for those 2 years also. Not sure if that promo is still good or not.

Reactions: pattykay
Yes, DVR charge still applies. I have a 722k as my only receiver and there is no extra charge for it. I saved $40 a month moving to Flex, with locals, and DVR, and I don't miss the channels I used to have with AT 200.....and I like having the extra $40 per month in my pocket!

One of the biggest bargains for Flex subscribers is the Movie Pack , which includes Epix, Encore, Starz, MGM, Sony, FMC, etc. $5 a month on special.

To be precise, it's only Starz Encore Suspense and Starz Family, not all of the Starz and Encore channels that is in the Movie Pack promo. And I think there is 1 Epix channel that isn't included.

To be precise, it's only Starz Encore Suspense and Starz Family, not all of the Starz and Encore channels that is in the Movie Pack promo. And I think there is 1 Epix channel that isn't included.

Currently, channel 292, Epix Drive-In, is not included in the Dish Movie Pack. However, one should have access to the Epix streaming app available on platforms. I found it used to be great but seriously lagged since Epix "fixed" it. Why fix something that was not broken? I will never understand.

You do not get all the Starz and Encore channels. However, in addition to Starz Encore Suspense (344) and Starz Kids and Family (356), you get MoviePlex (377), IndiePlex HD (378), and RetroPlex HD (379). One should also have access to the Starz Encore streaming app and on demand content from what I understand.

FMI, please visit DISH Movie Pack | Specialty Channels | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support (As mentioned in a previous thread, we are unsure as to why Dish quit advertising Epix 1, Epix 2, and Epix Hits as part of the Dish Movie Pack although they still included as of this posting.)

Currently, channel 292, Epix Drive-In, is not included in the Dish Movie Pack.
why Dish quit advertising Epix 1, Epix 2, and Epix Hits as part of the Dish Movie Pack although they still included as of this posting.)
Wonder if that's not just oversight on website.

Here is mine. As you can see Flex easily becomes $95 as equipment is almost as much as programming.

dish.jpg

Here is mine. As you can see Flex easily becomes $95 as equipment is almost as much as programming.
Well no, Flex doesn't become $95, your bill does because of all the equipment add-ons and all those extra charges would be the same no matter what package you subscribed to.

Unless the rules have changed, you could save the $8.99 "DISH Protect Silver" charge, adding it back on only when the need arose. You would have to keep it on for several months (6?) afterwards though.

Well no, Flex doesn't become $95, your bill does because of all the equipment add-ons and all those extra charges would be the same no matter what package you subscribed to.
Well I guess you could get Flex on one tv with non dvr service for about $40 but who has only 1 tv and does not want DVR service.

Unless the rules have changed, you could save the $8.99 "DISH Protect Silver" charge, adding it back on only when the need arose. You would have to keep it on for several months (6?) afterwards though.
I think that is true but I am ok with this

I replaced two of my joeys with Amazon Fire stick usb dongles for my two tvs that I rarely use. Saved me $14.00 a month.
I bought one and it worked OK. If I had a tv in my garage or some place I might use it once every couple of weeks it would be OK but we use the joeys daily and it is worth the money for the ease of use factor.

Your DVR fee should be $10 since you have the 2 year price lock. I’d call in and ask for that.
I will look into that.

I am not complaining about mine I am just pointing out that unless you want Flex on one tv alone with non-DVR service It can quickly become about as much as any other service. I downgraded from top 200 because my bill had gotten to about $130 so sadly the $95 looks good. It does what it is supposed to it offers some flexibility in making you not have to pay for a bunch you do not want. I think we only lost two channels we watched at all in the downgrade

I saw an ad this morning on Food Network for the Flex pack. It was taking a swipe at streaming services not offering local channels or local news. Is Dish taking another stab at marketing it to new customers?
That sounds more like an ad aimed at retaining existing customers, reminding them that Flex Pack is still an option, and discouraging them from switching to streaming. Now, if Dish would offer new Flex Pack subscribers the $5 per month Hopper Duo DVR fee, then I would believe that Dish is making a push to market Flex Pack to new subscribers.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'd re-up to Dish and go to Flex in a second, IF they wouldn't charge me the dvr fees, etc on my OWNED 722k receiver. I'm willing to pay the base fees, but not all the BS "because we can" fees.

I'd re-up to Dish and go to Flex in a second, IF they wouldn't charge me the dvr fees, etc on my OWNED 722k receiver. I'm willing to pay the base fees, but not all the BS "because we can" fees.
About the best you could do would be to purchase a Wally, add an external hard drive, and pay the one-time $40 DVR activation fee, with no monthly fees after that. You can probably forget about ever reactivating your purchased ViP722k, unless you do it really soon.

Is that your only receiver? If so the DVR fee is the only fee. It's just a common misconception what owning the receiver means, you own literally the receiver not the software that runs it. They get the cost of developing it and maintaining it back plus of course part of their profit from the DVR charge. We do have a choice to not get a DVR and not pay that fee, or get one of the models that become a DVR with an external hardrive. I do think the DVR fee has become to high, yes it's in line with and actually less than some others but it has become to high. A reason not the only reason I have stayed with the VIP's I have is the $7 DVR fee. (Grandfathered) As it turns out by staying with DISH all this time I am paying less for what I get than even most others charge for new customers. (Directv seems to have gone to deep discounts for some also now)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts