cost of smart card

new_to_hdtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
not far enough North
My dad has an old old Dish receiver so i picked up a used 301 to replace it with.

I called Dish and there's no outstanding balance on it but they wanted over $60 ($49+$9shipping+tax) for a new smart card.

Is there anyway to get one cheaper?

Thanks.

I assume you want to avoid commitment for him. Otherwise it would be cheaper for him just to ask Dish to replace his receiver.

Do you know another source for DISH smart cards? As far as I know DISH is the only game in town so they can set the price. I guess you can pickup another 301 but this time make sure it has a purple card.

My dad has an old old Dish receiver so i picked up a used 301 to replace it with.

I called Dish and there's no outstanding balance on it but they wanted over $60 ($49+$9shipping+tax) for a new smart card.

Is there anyway to get one cheaper?

Thanks.

Does the old old receiver have a new purple card? If so they should be able to authorize it for use in the new 301.

I've done this for my parents a couple times. The rep always gives me some line about how they are not supposed to do it and it may not work but, it always has.

I just cancelled my service and have a 301 (or is it a 311) with a purple card. The box is owned, not rented, but I don't know if Dish will want the purple card back. I have to send my other DVRs back when the shipping cartons come. Anyway, if anyone knows the legality of the box and card, maybe it can be available for sale at a good price.

the 301 has a card but I don't remember what color. I just remember when I was checking to see if it worked that it said the programming would expire June 9th (?) and that a new smart card was needed.

Are the cards specific to the receiver? If I were able to get a "purple" card elsewhere would it work in the receiver I have ?

The smart cards are Married to the receivers. You will have to get a new one from DISH. You can't put just any new smart card in the receiver to make it work.

You can always add the dish home protection plan for 5.99 and then drop it once the card is sent and installed. You can add and drop the insurance as needed and DISH doesn't care. I use it when I need a new receiver ,because my old one has gone bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)