Cost to switch to D* (not cheap)

tjwgrr

Route of the Northliners
Dec 21, 2005
Western Michigan
I went to D* website to see what it would cost to switch from E*.

Since I would be replacing two 622's, the upfront cost would be $498.00 for two HD DVR's, as it looks like D* only offers a $100.00 rebate for one HD DVR receiver.

To get all the new HD national channels D* is offering (no prem. movie channels,) I would need to subscribe to their PLUS HD DVR package for $59.99 / month (for 12 mos, then $69.99/ mo.) Additionally a subscription to D* HD EXTRA PACK for $4.99/ month (free for first 3 months) is required to to get HDNet, HDNet Movies, MGM HD, MHD, Smithsonian Channel HD, Universal HD.

The monthly fee would be $64.98 for three months, then $69.97 after three months, then $79.97 after 12 months if I've read all the fine print carefully.

Although the programming fees seem reasonable, the $498.00 equipment investment helped me decide to stay on-board the E* ship for now and see what's on the horizon. Christmas is coming and I'd rather keep the $500.00 in my pocket for now.

Not as much as you might think... Dish charges 20 bucks a month for HD; D* charges 10. If you take that extra ten bucks over the course of an 18 month contract (or 24 in D* case), the money paid upfront is earned back.

My question is Dish will give up 1 hd-dvr free, how much is the second?

True; if you choose to get those channels. I think Dish should do the same type of thing with VOOM, althought VOOM would be droped because there wouldn't be enought people getting it.

Did the same thing - i have the everything pack, hd and setanta.
The HD dvr upgrade seems possible for 3 i entered 3 upgrades and it accepted it
(I have 3 hd rcvrs - 2 622 and a 211)
The Initial cost was 198, for the 3 receivers.
Plus monthly
Your First Month's Bill
PREMIER $99.99
Setanta Sports $14.99
DIRECTV® HD EXTRA PACK $0.00
HD Access $9.99
2 Lease Fee $9.98
$23/mo. credit for STARZ and SHOWTIME for 3 months -$23.00
Monthly Total: $111.95
First month $101.95
After 3 months = $134.5 (lose starz etc credit)
*Final Monthly Total includes a $10 bill credit per month for 12 consecutive months after one-time mail-in redemption.

My dish monthly is
ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 6.00
AMERICA'S EVERYTHING VALUE PAK-AMERICA'S TOP 250, 4 94.99
clear.gif
DISHHD 20.00
clear.gif

LEASED RECEIVER FEE 6.00
clear.gif

PrEMIUM PACKAGE LOCALS 0.00
clear.gif

SETANTA 14.99
Total Account Charges $ 141.98

So $198 up front and then cheaper for first 3 months by 79 (rebates) + $7 a month less.

would take about 18 months, i think, to break even, assuming nothing else changes, Now if the online form is wrong then it's even longer.

Jeff

Last edited:
It would cost me about $900.00 to duplicate what I have now with DISH and I wouldn't own the three dvrs as I do today with DISH. I have two 622s and a 722 dvr with external hard drives on two of them. I also have the ethernet/phone lines connected on all three. I would rather keep what I have now than put out any more money to fully go with Directv. I would love to have more hd choices but I can barely keep up with all that I record now. I am about two weeks behind on most of my series tv I have recorded and I have over 68 movies I've yet to watch , mostly in hd. I am going to stick with DISH till I see that there is no changes coming. I am hoping that DISH will pull out some more hd out of their hats, like Sci-Fi, Usa, Fx , by next month by reclaiming some bandwith. OF course if ATT buys DISH and fully destroys it like I think they will, I will go to DIRECTV like yesterday. But I would rather have the better hd dvr that can record upto 3 things at a time now and wait for more hd in the future. Besides 2008 is only 46 days away after today. Spring will come soon enough and with it more hd I am hoping .

Not as much as you might think... Dish charges 20 bucks a month for HD; D* charges 10. If you take that extra ten bucks over the course of an 18 month contract (or 24 in D* case), the money paid upfront is earned back.

My question is Dish will give up 1 hd-dvr free, how much is the second?
I have E* Top 200 package w/HD and DVR Advantage for about $75 INCLUDING TAXES so I'm not sure the soon to be $5/month difference for HD means much.

Gb,

I checked it out, too. Startup for 2 HDDVRs+ 1 HD receiver was $597. FSilva switched and said the HDLiL quality was horrible. Got me thinking. I really want the Movie channels and MGM, but I watch more Locals, HDDVD, and Blu-ray.

S~

But then again, others on this site, including Scott G. have said their HD LIL's look as good as the OTA channels. Guess YMMV.

Gb,

I checked it out, too. Startup for 2 HDDVRs+ 1 HD receiver was $597. FSilva switched and said the HDLiL quality was horrible. Got me thinking. I really want the Movie channels and MGM, but I watch more Locals, HDDVD, and Blu-ray.

S~

Thanks well i wasnt thinking of jumping ship, and these numbers convinced me even more, the extra HD ( basically our fox local) plus a few more channels isnt worth, especially when you add all the install and return hassle too.

Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts