Could Someone Please Explain How & Why Dish/Echo Is In Its Present Situation?

FCom911

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2008
This isn't meant to be a put down... I just don't understand their posturing - its so damn risky!

It doesn't appear DirecTV operates as such.

I understand, Echostar is global and massive, but all I can say, if I were at the helm, and I'm not, I wouldn't be pushing things so far, unless I was really strapped for cash. It didn't appear Dish/Echo have had cash flow problems.

You hardcore, old schooler's... what do you really think is behind all of this? Is Charlie the only one who makes decisions. Is he a micro manager? Does the board have any input? Is there some sort of unseen logic to all this? One would think investors would be worried?

All I see - no backup, none... and it just doesn't make any sense. There's too much on the line, here.

We can all speculate, but is there anyone here who can actually make any real sense in all of this?

Personally I think it was because Dish was in talks to be aquired by AT&T. Now that those talks are done the money will be spent. Whenever you are up for sale you always cut spending.

Personally I think it was because Dish was in talks to be aquired by AT&T. Now that those talks are done the money will be spent. Whenever you are up for sale you always cut spending.

So your of the opinion, Dish/Echo may be up for sale...

Are Dish/Echo ladened with excessive debt?

Charlie at one point stated that he had to partner up with someone who had deep pockets in order to have the cash flow needed By Dish.

This does not mean that Charlie is looking to sell Dish he is looking to co-own Dish with someone else. ATT wanted full ownership of DIsh and that is why the talks failed. Who knows ATT may wind up owning Direct TV with Murdach being a partner with Dish Who Knows??

Charlie at one point stated that he had to partner up with someone who had deep pockets in order to have the cash flow needed By Dish.

This does not mean that Charlie is looking to sell Dish he is looking to co-own Dish with someone else. ATT wanted full ownership of DIsh and that is why the talks failed. Who knows ATT may wind up owning Direct TV with Murdach being a partner with Dish Who Knows??

What was the reason Dish didn't exercise that $100,000,000 option, when called by AT&T?

The Echo fleet, its age, failures... it isn't healthy. Why gamble so much on pushing SATs to their estimated age. It doesn't appear DirecTV waits as long to refresh their fleet. They appear to operate more - pro-actively. Again, I'm not trying to be negative, here... just curious...

In the customers eyes I see 17 more Hd channels on 8/1. They still have customer growth and have more channels than cable. I don't see what you mean by a razors edge. If they were on the brink of bankruptcy I could see where you are going but I have heard nothing about that. They are behind Directv in HD channels but Direct was behind them for along time.

The Echo fleet, its age, failures... it isn't healthy. Why gamble so much on pushing SATs to their estimated age. It doesn't appear DirecTV waits as long to refresh their fleet. They appear to operate more, pro-actively. Again, I'm not trying to be negative, here... just curious...

I admit I don't know much about Directv's opperating procedures but, Dish just launched a new Satellite. They did have a failed Satellite a few months ago but it wasn't their fault. They also have another going up early 2009. It looks as though they are refreshing their fleet or at least trying to.

In the customers eyes I see 17 more Hd channels on 8/1. They still have customer growth and have more channels than cable. I don't see what you mean by a razors edge. If they were on the brink of bankruptcy I could see where you are going but I have heard nothing about that. They are behind Directv in HD channels but Direct was behind them for along time.

That's not what I'm trying to say... The SAT fleet is the backbone of their operations. I'm just deeply surprised by the misfortune at Dish's feet, and it could be just a string of bad luck, but Eastern Arch, 129, 148... that's just an awful lot bad luck hitting all at once. But, couldn't some of this been avoided by being more pro-active with the fleet?

That's not what I'm trying to say... The SAT fleet is the backbone of their operations. I'm just deeply surprised by the misfortune at Dish's feet, and it could be just a string of bad luck, but Eastern Arch, 129, 148, and E2... that's just an awful lot bad luck hitting all at once. But, couldn't some of this been avoided by being more pro-active?

I agree they have had a lot of bad luck recently but for the most part I don't think it has or will effect the customers that much.

We who visit this site have an insight that most customers either don't or don't care to know about. The majority of Dish customers have no idea that Sats were lost. I would bet most wouldn't even care as long as they get the channels they pay for.

Now, the recent bad luck may put some of dish's plan behind but it appears they are still able to operate as a satellite company and provide all of the current and up coming channels to their customers.

I think Liberty Media owns a majority stake in DirecTV, as from what I understand, Murdock is no longer at the helm.

I agree they have had a lot of bad luck recently but for the most part I don't think it has or will effect the customers that much.

We who visit this site have an insight that most customers either don't or don't care to know about. The majority of Dish customers have no idea that Sats were lost. I would bet most wouldn't even care as long as they get the channels they pay for.

Now, the recent bad luck may put some of dish's plan behind but it appears they are still able to operate as a satellite company and provide all of the current and up coming channels to their customers.

I'm on the West coast, and as an HD Only customer, 129's performance is not as smooth as I'd like; its my bread and butter. I would hope E11 can pick up a little slack in regards to E5's woe's, but from what I understand, locals must take priority over nationals.

I'm looking forward to those new HDs as well! I sub to HBO, MAX, SHO, and STARZ, too. They'll reside on 110 and 119, as I understand it. Others will be relegated to 61.5 and 129.

Any idea where/what will happen to E10 once E11 is up and running? Will it continue to perform its regular duties, be moved, or even possibly pickup some of E5's workload?

Let's not forget, D* ended up needing to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Those Ka sats were meant for internet service, which fell thru. Still had the sats. Changed their plan to use Ka as well as Ku. Seems to be working out well for them.

These things go in cycles. Not that long ago, Dish was adding subs faster than DirecTV.

That's not what I'm trying to say... The SAT fleet is the backbone of their operations. I'm just deeply surprised by the misfortune at Dish's feet, and it could be just a string of bad luck, but Eastern Arch, 129, 148... that's just an awful lot bad luck hitting all at once. But, couldn't some of this been avoided by being more pro-active with the fleet?

Perhaps you should do a little research into timelines to deliver these satellites. It's about 18-24 months from order to shipment, then you have to wait your turn for the launch after that.

These satellites are not commodities, and there is a precious few companies capable of building them. There are also very few options available for launching.

They're being as pro-active as they can IMO.

Perhaps you should do a little research into timelines to deliver these satellites. It's about 18-24 months from order to shipment, then you have to wait your turn for the launch after that.

These satellites are not commodities, and there is a precious few companies capable of building them. There are also very few options available for launching.

They're being as pro-active as they can IMO.

I understand the timeline...

Has DirecTV experienced difficult times such as Dish's, at present?

BTW, does IMO imply I'm being some sort of jerk? I'm really seeking some logic, not just trying to chew the fat. If 129 does go, I'll have to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)